Can i top multiple times?

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by Kroda, Dec 7, 2018.

1. So i topped my girl around 2 weeks ago and i want to top 6 tops that emerged. Can i do that or is it too much stress for the plant ??

Attached Files:

2. You can definitely top more, but there is diminishing rewards past a certain point. 100 tops do not equal 100 giant colas. I'm not sure where the max yield is -maybe someone else can chime in with some personal experience.

If you're just curious about topping, look up mainlining. It involves topping your plant a number of times and pushing the training pretty far. That is where I read that there is diminishing yields in the number of tops that you have.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. ty i will look into it

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lst a forget about topping. I used to waste time topping. Lst gives the same results only way better. More tops quicker and you dont have to remove any . I fill my tent faster and have larger yields now that I gave up on unnecessary topping. I can't believe all the years I wasted topping

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. in my ventures, plants recover slightly quicker from topping then LST, they bounce back in hrs and start growing again and LST takes a little longer to overcome the stress, but if u judge plant sizes the LST plant will become bigger then the topped plant probably because u r not removing any growth.!
    WIN_20180516_20_42_51_Pro.jpg WIN_20180516_20_47_36_Pro.jpg

6. Then you're horrible at lst. Sorry bud.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. I plant can only produce so much. How many watts are you running? Led or hps? These are a few things I’d consider? Also when u top the plant stalls for a bit costing you more in electricity and extending veg stage.

8. Laugh all you want bud. Lst done correctly doesn't take time for the plant to recover, it doesn't even hurt the plant. If you're plants took time to recover you were to rough with them. Unlike cutting off tops, lst does no damage or stress. Topping is actually considered a high stress technique. Lst=low stress or in the case of someone that knows what they're doing it should be called nst...no stress training

9. Kill, hats off to u man, not too many know what actual LST is anymore, they r cropping plants (topping and tying) and calling it 'LST", but not utilizing the benefits of LST.!!
    even ScroG'ers r topping because it is easier to get a better canopy coverage in the screen.
    the plant shoots have to turn back to the light before they actually start growing again, at this time the stems r growing on one side to compensate the disorientated tops and little/no leaf growth, this is not very stressful but it takes time non the less.
    everything u do to manipulate a plant causes some amount of stress, even cutting off a fan leaf.!!
    i disagree with that general statement, a simple topping or clipping a few fan leaves stresses the plant very little,
    cannabis gets gnawed on in nature, deer can take half the fan leaves off and u r thinking it is the end, next weekend u can barely tell they were fed on.!!
    heavy topping (1/4 - 1/2 the plant mass) is very stressful, this messes with the roots and the plant.!

i m not preaching from opinion,
    i used to grow under 800w of HID and took clones from the same mom and did LST, Topping, and FIM,
    the Topped plant bounced back the quickest with new leaf growth, yielded the least,
    the LST was right behind it, they turned then started new growth, yielded more then topping,
    the FiM took a day or 2 to recover, wasn't looking good for the FiM fans,
    but when it recovered it outgrew the other 2 with explosive growth in the form of 6 tops,
    FiM yielded the most, but it was a larger plant over all, so vegged separately yields might be different.!!
    the trouble with FiM is the unpredictable growth, might be 6 tops or 4 or 7, don't know how explosive it will be.

this was done after a yr or 2 of trying the different methods, so i kinda knew how to plant/train each one.!
    i have also cut mommas to 1/3 their original size, pulled them out and trimmed the roots back to half their size,
    re-potted and raised the light, a few days later they were up and going strong again, just much smaller.! lol

U R awesome man, keep up the LST for our future growers.!!!

10. It's fine man I get it. You suck at lst, I dont understand that because it's so simple but hey some people struggle at simple things. . By the way I am a scrooger. My nets fill faster with larger yields after I gave up topping. I'm an old guy too. It was hard for me to give it up as that's how I was taught years ago. Im glad someone finally convinced me to stop topping, such a useless technique

11. im using a 300w led light

12. from what i read from you guys and a little research i did im gonna start lst right away to my plant, this was informative thanks :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Heck ya lst is a great way to increase tops and yield. When you top you remove the main top so the next 2 nodes become tops. When you lst you don't have to remove an already formed top and best of all every node along the bent branch becomes new tops not just 2.

Say you have a branch with 10 nodes and 1 top after lst all 11 will be tops not just 2

When you top that same branch you loose a top and only 2 of the nodes become new top.

11 top colas or 2 top colas. The choice is pretty easy. I didnt buy into lst until I had it explained to me like that. As far as lst taking faster to recover that's insane. 1st time I've ever heard anyone say that. You would have to be super rough on your plants for lst to take longer to recover then topping. Lst takes no time for the plant to recover.

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. Is the the actual draw or what's listed on the box? LEDs often list a wattage that isnt correct for what the light actually uses. . When an led lists 300 watts but draws much less all that means is the diodes of the light is able to handle up to 300 watts but they're ran at less so they last longer. Led manufacturers list this figure and often lots of people new to leds think it's what the light is equivalent to. What is the actual draw of your light, how many watts does it actually use? What led brand do you have?

15. S
    Urea can I usually stop after I have around 16 tops lol . Good yield but I grow in 10 gs cause topping that much makes bushes. I'm not into the lst thing to much trying down n not enough space to water I stick to my old school way it works fine.

16. its 300w draw ,its a cheap one from ebay ,but its one of the better ones.The build quality is pretty nice

17. what i'm gonna try to do is since i topped 1 time already , i will tie most of stems down, and when she has recovered i am going to top one more time, that's the plan :p

18. but i'm planning to upgrade to a VIPARSPECTRA led light before i start the flowering stage

19. Topping once to break apical dominance and then LST like Killset said is about the best technique as far as speed, ease, and yield. A common practice with clones is to top once and LST with 4 week veg.

• Like Like x 1