Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can I tell a military doctor I smoke?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by applesaucenazi, Jul 14, 2009.

1. So, my husband is military not me. My only health insurance is through the military, thus I am forced to go to a military doctor. :mad:

My question is do you know if/think it's safe to tell him I smoke? I want him to know my entire health spectrum (and it's a huge part of it) but hardly ANY information in the military is truly confidential. What do you guys think?

2. Ask him about doctor-patient confidentiality and the military. He should have all the information. And if it is sound, you tell him you smoke, and you or your husband gets in trouble for it, sue the pants off the guy.

3. Dr-Patient Confidentallity applies to military docs. However there are some things they are duty bound to report and drug "abuse" is one of them. It really depends on how chill the doc is. But if it's a medical matter where withholding that info could mess up a diagnocos I'd say tell him.

4. Don't tell them unless you want your husband to get a 'random' drug test the next day.

5. Knowing how the military likes to take care of us and watch out for our best intentions, i'd say you might want to withold from talking about that.

If anything, just say it is ciggarettes, because he will take that into consideration and that is much worse....

6. Well I do smoke cigarettes so I guess I could just go with that.

7. NO WAY I LIVE BY TACOMA!!! but anyways I wouldnt.... unless you like jail...then go ahead

8. even though they have doctor patient confidentiality he is supposed to and probably will report your husband to his command.

and technically his command can and will come to your house to "inspect for health and comfort" I know it doesn't sound right but they can and will.

when he signed the dotted line he gave up most rights to privacy. I had several marines that worked for me that I knew had problems at home with drinking and keeping their house clean. I inspected those houses randomly whenever I wanted to make sure their children were healthy and living in clean conditions.

I know your situation is not exactly the same but the same rules apply. if they suspect anything they can and will come to your home. it is not worth the risk to your husband.

also just because he is military doesn't mean you have to be seen by a military doc. talk to your tri-care representitive and have them assign a primary care physician out in town. my wife never saw a military doc for anything the entire time we were in the marine corps.

good luck

9. Yes. You as a dependent can smoke and use the insurance. Your medical documentation has no bearing on his military status/career.

10. Is your husband in the AF? Stationed at Mcchord AFB? That's where my brother's stationed...anyway...My wife's in the AF and I smoke...I was in too...and I still smoked lol, just not as much. I have no clue, I guess it depends on the doctor...but your husband can't get in trouble...do you live on base? if so...don't say anything because then they'll know you're bringing weed on base...and you'll get banned if you're caught...then that's a whole 'nother dilemma. They can drug test your husband all they want...you shouldn't be letting him smoke knowing about the random drug test...you get a call at work and you get 2 hrs after the phone call...so unless he's on leave don't let him smoke. I'm sure i'm stating the obvious...ok...time to spark a blunt. :smoking:

11. Yep stationed at Mcchord. We don't live on base (thank heavens) but I think I'll err on the side of caution and say nothing. I'll just do a lot of googling on what medications NOT to take while using MJ.

Thanks all!