Can I sue H&R block?

Discussion in 'General' started by dezz, Mar 15, 2012.

1. So here's the story I recently called the IRS Rita check if everything was fine. They told me I haven't filled my 2006, 2007 and 2008 which I did. I went to h&r those years and i payed them like $200 dollars for each year.

So after I heard this I immediately called h&r and told them the situation. They got my number and info and told me they would contact me in a few days. Two weeks past nothing, so i gave them a call and they once again took my info down and told me 24-48 hours they will respond. I'm coming up in the 48hrs by the end of today. I really think there not going to call back.

What should I do?
    If i get a lawyer would it be worth it?

2. First I would try figuring out what happened. Say you don't want a call back you have already done that. Instead you want to talk to their supervisor and figure it out NOW!

I'm no lawyer so I couldn't tell you if you could sue or what not :)

3. Can you? yes. Should you? no. Just go to their office instead of calling.

4. Okay, you went and got your taxes done at H&R. They should still have given you some proof of filing your taxes, confirmation numbers, receipts, etc.

You should probably wait a few days before contacting a lawyer. Right now it's tax season, so H&R block and their corporate head quarters are swamped. If you don't hear from them keep trying to call back, ask to talk to a manager, etc.

Also, have you looked online about this problem? H&R is a pretty huge company, maybe they've had internal problems before in the past and other people have gone through the same thing you have.

5. Go down there, suing is pointless and expensive, you can but it would take months and be a expensive small claim. Fucking pointless basically.

6. Yeah I'm gonna give them one last call tomorrow and talk to the manger and see. Suing for this ain't really worth it but we will see.

7. Honestly, if you're thinking about suing then your best luck would be a class action law suit. Go online, look and see if there are others who have had this problem, maybe you'll even find out about a class action law suit already in the works.

I've been involved in two class action law suits. Both times I didn't even know anything was wrong/went wrong until the lawyers/company contacted me. Once class action law suit was from Best Buy, the other was from Jiffy lube. I guess with best buy they were charging the wrong percent on interest for their card holders, and jiffy lube was charging more for disposal fees than they should.

With best guy I got a check for 4 bucks, with Jiffy Lube I got a year of free oil changes lol.

8. [quote name='"ILLOGIK"']Honestly, if you're thinking about suing then your best luck would be a class action law suit. Go online, look and see if there are others who have had this problem, maybe you'll even find out about a class action law suit already in the works.

I've been involved in two class action law suits. Both times I didn't even know anything was wrong/went wrong until the lawyers/company contacted me. Once class action law suit was from Best Buy, the other was from Jiffy lube. I guess with best buy they were charging the wrong percent on interest for their card holders, and jiffy lube was charging more for disposal fees than they should.

With best guy I got a check for 4 bucks, with Jiffy Lube I got a year of free oil changes lol.[/quote]

Nice do you know the website.

9. Why didn't you keep records of your tax forms?

About 5 years back or so, my dad ended up owing DC $15000 for taxes he "didn't pay" in 93-98. His accountant moved to Arizona in 93, so my dad was sending his taxes to Arizona to have them done, and wasn't receiving a copy back, just a receipt and a copy of the little fax kickback saying that the taxes were received.

Neither of those were sufficient to prove he paid taxes those years.

You need to be keeping records up to 15 years to be safe, despite most state governments and the IRS website stating otherwise.

10. I've never heard of 15 years.... I always heard you should save your tax records for 5 years.
    But I never throw away any important paper work/tax returns my self, just in case. If I went and looked right now I'm sure I could find my tax records from 1999 lol

11. I had never heard of it either, until the DC "state" government audited my dad for records which were over 10 years old.

They froze his bank account and everything. It was a real shit storm for my family...so, it just makes sense to keep records twice as long as they tell you to.

A quick Google search will show that this type of stuff happens with state governments all the time. Particularly with Virginia. And people have absolutely no legal recourse about it at all. The same goes for when dealing with the IRS. Either you have your records, or you pay. Nevermind the fact that we know they keep records, yet lose them all the time.

12. [quote name='"cookiecrisp"']Why didn't you keep records of your tax forms?

About 5 years back or so, my dad ended up owing DC $15000 for taxes he "didn't pay" in 93-98. His accountant moved to Arizona in 93, so my dad was sending his taxes to Arizona to have them done, and wasn't receiving a copy back, just a receipt and a copy of the little fax kickback saying that the taxes were received.

Neither of those were sufficient to prove he paid taxes those years.

You need to be keeping records up to 15 years to be safe, despite most state governments and the IRS website stating otherwise.[/quote]

I have them with me. I keep a record I have some from the 90's

13. What? We have to do our taxes? I haven't done them ever

Efff

14. So then what's the problem? All you do is fax your records to the IRS. Or send them certified mail so you know that they got them.

The IRS loses records all the time. It's likely that they lost yours, and it's not really an issue with H&R Block. Unless you can prove without a doubt that they didn't send your taxes, and that's why the IRS is hounding you now, you don't have a case. Sure, H&R Block's customer service is horrendous, but you can't sue a company over your expectations of excellent customer service lol

So long as you have your records you're fine.

15. [quote name='"cookiecrisp"']

So then what's the problem? All you do is fax your records to the IRS. Or send them certified mail so you know that they got them.

The IRS loses records all the time. It's likely that they lost yours, and it's not really an issue with H&R Block. Unless you can prove without a doubt that they didn't send your taxes, and that's why the IRS is hounding you now, you don't have a case. Sure, H&R Block's customer service is horrendous, but you can't sue a company over your expectations of excellent customer service lol

So long as you have your records you're fine.[/quote]

Yeah I have them the way h&r game me them.