Can I steal my own car back from the tow company?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by poi_boi, Nov 3, 2009.

1. So my car got towed last night...
    It was clearly my fault for it being in a tow away zone but I noticed something today. When I walked passed the tow company, I saw my car in their lot. The lot is not gated and there is no boot on my car. Technically I could easily walk in, drive my car out within 10 seconds and be home free. My question is what is the legality tied with that sort of action?

Can I get in trouble or will I just get a bill for the towing service?

What would you do if you were in my situation?

2. Im pretty sure thats grand theft auto at that point.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Man they got your liscense plate number your vin your address your name your dentists name and your grandma's cookie recipe so just pay the fine.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wow underage much or are you jsut that cheap?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Of course you can.

You may get caught and go to jail. But you CAN do it...

6. don't listen to these people telling you that you'll get in trouble. the tow truck company wont even notice that it's gone. in fact, im sure they'll be relieved that they have one less car to deal with. steal away, my friend, steal away.

• Like Like x 1
  7. #7 full melt, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2009
    Exactly, whats with all the bad advice in this thread?

I used to work in an impound lot and we never went after people who took their cars back. Frankly it's just too much work and all your car is doing is taking up room.

Here's a little insider advise: Your best bet is to sneak in during operating hours because most impound lots have dogs out at night. We don't usually record your VIN# or license number, we are suppose to but again... we couldn't be bothered.

You shouldn't run into any legal problems.

• Like Like x 1
  8. In the states it's GTA so if you do it the police will re impound your car and make you pay a whole HOST of other fines. :wave:

9. Or you can have a friend steal it and hide it somewhere no one can find it and file law suit and get money and your car. This may be a little bit more risky.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. you cannot get charged with GTA since it is his property, the only thing you could face is tresspassing

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. just act like you think you parked it there

• Like Like x 1
  12. You could give yourself a solid aliby and get a friend to take it.

13. uhm, The second that car touches there truck.. they LEGALLY own it.. You go and touch that car.. thats gta.

Just pay the damn bill. get your car..

Or go and talk to the dude, get all your shit out.. and be done with it..

:rolleyes:

• Disagree Disagree x 2

14. so your telling me if i get my car towed, they own it and can do w.e they want with it? i dont think thats entirely correct. if that was the case they can sell it for what ever price, to who ever they want and why would they even give the car back to the person for a little fine when they can sell it for alot more.

15. i believe they simply have a right to possess your car until you pay the fees.

16. They have your license plate and they will know its gone. I wouldn't do it.

17. dont do it bruh dats 6-48 months 2-10 if your a repeater

18. like i said before its not grand theft auto or theft since it is your vehicle, but you are trespassing on their property so believe me you can get in trouble. you still we have to eventually pay the fees they will not forget

19. Impound: To seize and retain in legal custody

Of course you can't steal it back...that is theft...until you pay the fine, it is legally their property...

20. some of these people sound like they know what they're talking about. i say fuck it, go get your car.