Can I start seeds in peat, perlite and EWC?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Absolem The Blue, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Hello GC!

As the title says, can I start a seedling in nothing but peat moss, perlite, and Worm Power earth worm castings? There was a mishap and the rest of the supplies won't be available for another 4 or 5 days, and there's a little guy about to sprout a tail who's waiting to get dropped into soil. I'd say it's safe to say he can't be left in wet paper towels for that long.

On hand is quality peat moss, perlite, and worm power EWC. Will it be okay? Ratio?

2. I used a mix of 20% Vermicompost & 80% Peat Moss, worked great for my clones so seeds should be fine. If you can try adding a small amount of aeration and a small amount of Rock Dust if you have it. Other then that you should be fine :) They did fine in the mix for about 2 weeks, had them in Dixie cups.

HTH!

3. Great! That's how I plan on starting them, in dixie cups. I'll have rock dust and all the other goodies in a few days.

4. yes, you're getting very close to an almost perfect seed starter
    don't be in a hurry to transplant them out of those Dixie cups, wait until the roots fill up the cup

5. What else would I need for the perfect seed starting mix?

6. usually, very fine vermiculite, wouldn't worry about it, I use Jiffy, bought it at Walmart one year. a bag lasts a long time. I'm not sure exactly what is in it, but I get 100% germination. I also have a bag of epsoma seed starting mix which I bought because I needed an additional purchase to qualify for free shipping. Haven't tried or even opened the bag yet, but I am always pleased with their products. But peat and perlite will work fine.

7. Pro tip: water the cup before you plant the seed, otherwise it can knock it around a bunch. I fucked up some of my solo cups this way.

8. Moss peat 50% 
    Perlite 25% 
    Worm castings 25% 

This works well. what are you waiting on? 

9. Thank you lotek. Synth, I read that in a few other places too, will do!

Great, thanks! Waiting on rock dust, kelp meal, and Espoma's tomato tone. I picked up espoma's lime today. So I have EWC, peat moss, perlite, and garden lime at the moment. I figure I'll throw in a teaspoon of lime as well.