Can i start now?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by StickyMicky, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Okay, so i was thinking to start growing bud outdoors i ask early if i should buy my seeds now but i just releazed its a while till the next growing season, i live northern east Arkansas... Is it to late to start growing? The strain i was looking at is KC Brains Brains Damage :3 what do you all think?

2. Way to late to start growing man :( sorry.

3. I dont know your climate but cannabis is an annual plant and will work best when planted at the right time (i.e spring/summer).
    :)

4. Yep, it will also die as soon as the frost hits it.

5. This is very true. I am an indoor grower as its to cold here to grow outdoors in the UK.

6. August

average maximum temperature 90.3
    average minimum temperature 70.7
    average precipitation 3.32 inches
    southerly winds
    August is generally known to be the "pinnacle" of summer heat and humidity. Temperatures frequently reach the triple-digit range and humidity levels can become quite high.

September

average maximum temperature 84.4
    average minimum temperature 64.0
    average precipitation 3.40 inches
    south/southeasterly winds
    September is the slow transition from summer heat to the pleasant temperatures of autumn. During the first half of the month, summer usually tends to drag on; however, pleasant conditions usually prevail by the last week of the month.

October

average maximum temperature 74.4
    average minimum temperature 52.9
    average precipitation 2.91 inches
    north/northeasterly winds
    October truly signals the beginning of autumn. Fall colors begin to appear in the northern sections of the state by the second week in October and continue slowly southward. Mid to late October generally provides peak fall color in the northern portions of Arkansas. October and November are two of the most popular months for visitors due to the beautiful fall colors and pleasant temperatures.

November

average maximum temperature 61.6
    average minimum temperature 42.1
    average precipitation 4.15 inches
    average snowfall .3 inches
    northwesterly winds

This is what i got from some research, are ya'll still sure? i mean i really dont want to wait but if I have to whats the earliest i can start?

7. I would take "skunkmoney's" advice. I live in the UK so i cant say.

8. Sorry for the link.

When to Plant

Most hemp-growing manuals advise that the seeds should be planted about two weeks after the last threat of frost, which is the same time that corn is planted. As a rule of thumb, you need not plant until this time in areas that have a growing season of five months or more. These areas include most of the United States, except for Zone One (see Figure 62) and mountainous areas of the country.

Growers in northern areas report that plant have survived light evening frosts with little or no damage. We think of marijuana as a tropical plant, experiencing no chills in its native climes. But the mountainous areas of marijuana cultivation in Mexico and Colombia often have frosts during the growing season. One grower, describing spring (April) conditions in Nebraska, reported "plants (from tropical seed) three and four inches tall were covered with snow in the evening. By midafternoon all the snow had melted, and those little sprouts were healthy as could be."

Early-season sprouts do face more risks than later-germinating plants do. A lingering freeze or chill can weaken or kill them. Sometimes seeds or seedlings get washed away be heavy rains or flooding, or become infected from wet soil. They are also prey to hungry herbivores, who savour the tender young shoots, especially in the early spring, before the native plants have sprouted. These predators include rabbits, groundhogs, rats, mice, and possibly squirrels and cats, as well as large animals, such as deer, cattle, and sheep. Birds frequently eat the seeds and young shoots, especially if the ground looks planted. Snails and insects, such as cutworms and leafhoppers, also eat seedlings. Don't let this impressive list of dangers dim your enthusiasm. Although these problems do occur, they can be controlled or prevented with a little but of planning

As you can see in the Spring Thaw the last date of expected frost varies from early February in parts of Florida, Louisiana, Texas, California, and Nevada to mid-June in the coldest regions of New England and the Midwest. Planting time varies locally, as well as regionally. Fields which receive direct sun warm faster than partially shaded ones. Fields covered with a layer of compost or fresh manure, or with black plastic sheets, retain more heat and are ready to plant sooner than other fields. Mountainous areas often vary considerably in planting time. Higher ground usually stays cold longer than low-lying areas. Since soil is dark, it heats quickly when exposed to sunlight. Soil is usually warmer in the late afternoon.

The time that the soil warms also depends on the weather. During severe winters, a deeper layer of soil becomes frozen than during mild winters; so it will take longer to thaw. Soil below this layer is insulated by the ice and remains unfrozen. Spring weather, rainfall, flooding, and cloud cover also affect the soil's temperature.

Actually, the only way to know whether or not a field is ready to plant is to feel it and look at it. Examine the soil in early morning. It should be easy to work, rather than hardened from ice. There should be no large frozen clods of soil or other organic matter. There should also be no fine crystalline ice particles which glimmer in sunlight.

For fall harvest, sow outdoors after March 21, the first day of spring and the turn of the Equinox, when there are equal lengths of sun-up and sun-down. There are an additional 20 to 30 minutes of light before dawn and after sunset, for a total of 13 hours of daylight. When plants are started earlier, they may flower prematurely because of the short days. The plants may also be subject to sex reversal, and more males may develop.

There is little advantage to starting Cannabis before April. Each plant has a certain genetically defined potential for growth and size. As long as the plants have enough time to grow and develop, usually five or six months, this potential is realised (some Colombian and Asian varieties may need longer to develop). Plants started before spring grow no larger in size than plants started during April. The younger plants are virtually indistinguishable from the older ones by harvest, and plants which are started earlier face more risks of detection and destruction.

However, if you are faced with a short growing season, you can get a head start by germinating the seeds a week to six weeks before the local planting time, and transplanting the seedlings outdoors at about the same time seeds would be planted in your area. You can also hasten planting time by covering the area to be sown or planted with a clear (or black) plastic sheet, which will warm the ground by the greenhouse effect.

9. Those are averages, the plant won't experience averages it will experience actual temperatures on each and every discrete day.

There are two issues here, when the first frost will hit and also the amount of sunlight each day. Even if you could beat the first frost, you can't do anything about when the sun rises and sets. You're don't even have seeds yet, so you couldn't even plant for a week or two til the beans come in, then germinate, so by the time you are sprouting it will be around Sept 1, three weeks before the start of Fall. The plant would go into flower almost right way, so at best you would get a small harvest of lower quality in early December. If you beat the first frost and otherwise have a healthy grow.

Wait til next year.

10. I grow outdoors in the UK haha it's cold but it's possible

11. You must be in london...........:D

I am in EDINBURGH and its fucking cold up here.

12. Nah Southampton I'm more south than you but you will still be able to grow outdoors

13. You get the weather there but up here its far to cold at nights even in the summer and our summer lasts about 4-6 weeks...............LOL.
    :D

14. Dude....................it lasts 4 to 6 weeks everywhere in the UK :laughing:

15. Yes very true but its still fucking freezing up here.

BBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRR :D

16. I have always been an indoor man. That why i get a suntan from my HPS.

17. Okay, i see well what the soonest i could plant? (i can grow in door for a month but have way to much traffic thru my house to have them in there to long)

18. #18 Skunky Monkey, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2011
    Get a 60 Day auto flowering strain and harvest 20 days early.

19. The soonest you can plant? That's up to you, as soon as you get your seeds. If you are asking about seasonally in general, then you should plant in Spring after your last hard frost. For Arkansas I'm guessing that's mid-April or so...

20. I know but damn thats sooo far away can, i just plant one and see how it goes? or would it be point less? I mean before ive had to keep plants a live thru the winter, i had 85 to 90 percent success rate i beleave