Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can I put weed in a Keurig machine to make weed coffee?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Broly, Jan 2, 2013.

1. So if I reuse a K-cup (before anyone comments on this, reusing cups are fine i do it all the time without problems), put weed in it, and replace the water with lets say heavy cream or something, would I get weed coffee?

2. I don't know exactly how that would work out, but you're probably better off going through some threads in this section and finding something you'd like to make. Edibles are tricky and if you don't know exactly what you're doing you're going to waste weed.

3. Hmmm try it anyway nd see only if u got play money playa cuz u will be upset if it dont fall through and/or if its ya last

4. There is more to it than that. You wouldn't have enough fat to bond the THC to.

There is a way to do this but I think you will have to search the threads.

5. OMG do it! I wanna know what happens so I can do it with my own hahahah

6. No... the best canna milk, or 'real' canna milk and cream, isn't even made by adding herb to cream or milk. It begins with clarified milk fat, in other words, you make canna butter, then re-infuse that milk fat into the milk product of your choosing.

There is a lot more going on when performing an extraction and making an, than five minutes exposure to something 'with' a fat in it! :)

Have a read around, check the stickies, and use the search feature (there are literally HUNDREDS of 'can I make canna coffee' threads, which all end with the above info I just gave you)... there's tons to learn! :hello:

7. You'd probably be better off just using a creamer for an extraction, then use the cannabis infused creamer in your coffee.

Cannabinoids are insoluble in water, so the hot water for the coffee won't do anything to the weed that you put in there except get it wet and hot. You'll need something that contains oils or fats to be able to infuse it with cannabis, so if you are going to try out a creamer, get the one that contains the most fat.

8. Damn, I was hoping u were onto something.
    I love my k cup coffee pot lol

9. Some of the local dispensaries sell a THC coffee. I have never tried it but I think I will.

10. A place that sells pot infused coffee startbucks for stoners that's only a dream now...

11. BKS is a boss at edibles (literally amazing what (s)he makes) but edibles doesn't have to be much more than a 5 minute exposure to something with fat in it...

Made stem tea with a buddy by soaking stems in a moderate amount of butter and cream in a mug, and then I poured boiling water over it and covered the cup with foil. An 8th of stems between a friend and I got us LIT with this tea

I've also made cannacino by doing the above method^ but instead of putting the bud/cream mixture in a mug, I put it the top part of a moki espresso maker, effectively doing the same thing with boiling water. Had that tea on 4/20 and I was high as balls!

Edibles can be really complex (and probably better), but there are also simple ways to get it done enjoyably.

Your keurig method wouldn't work, but if you get simmer cream and butter with weed, and then use that mixture with regular coffee, you might be in for a treat :D

12. It's easy to modify the cups they already make!

You can take a syringe, poke two small holes, and inject a pre-made edible hash oil or canna oil into the cups, individually, just like we do.

Before I moved into this house, I was living in an apartment in a city, just a few states over, that had a 'free internet cafe' and a gym just off the lobby (I don't think that's enough info to tip anyone off, plenty of buildings with the same perks). :)

I would sneak a dozen of their free coffee/k-cups upstairs (for those who aren't aware, the cups are sealed little containers with coffee and cocoa blends), treat them with oil through two holes the lid, with one hole acting as a vent.
    Then I'd pop them in my fridge, and take them down one at a time, each morning, whenever I was getting ready to leave for the train. There is a very minor odor, but there was also a good vent system in the room because it was near the building's gym, and no one ever seemed the wiser.... but I was also growing in the building and disposing of plant waste through the trash shoot with my cat litter, so then again, maybe I was a bit desensitized (and overly-ballsy at the time, seeing as how they've only just become a medical state :D ).

It was an easy way to have a quick, virtually-free drinkable, every morning. I always wanted to buy one of those things after I moved :)

13. #13 BadKittySmiles, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2013

The quickie methods certainly do work for some people, at the cost of the majority of the potency that the cannabis contained, of course. :)

They are how we made the progress we have thus far (while unfortunately ignoring the techniques used by the rest of the world, and historically, by our own people). :)

What we NEED to remember, is that the quickie recipes are also responsible for all our failed edible stories, and all our dosage discrepancies!

In other words....

These recipes, are why a room full of people can eat from the same plate of cookies, and some people may green out from a cookie, and others may feel nothing at all, even when over-eating their usual dosage by grams at a time.... it's all in the level of absorption and activation you've encouraged.

Most people aren't fortunate enough to have the kind of 'unnatural digestion efficiency' that it really requires, in order to effectively absorb virtually unprocessed cannabinoids.

And even those who are that fortunate, still have no control over whether or not those cannabinoids are even active. :eek:

It's not an argument so much over whether or not they will 'work', we know they can if you eat enough material.....

But rather, just imagine what your material or stems could have done for you, if you'd actually been able to absorb more than a mere fraction of the potency they contained, and if the rest of you cannabinoids, active or not, had not gone "in one end, and out the other" without absorption! :hello:

For instance, when they perform the liposomal encapsulation, or metabolic enhancement techniques on pharmaceutical meds (ie. the very same techniques we're supposed to be using on our cannabis! ;) ) to make certain chemicals more bioavailable, you better believe there's more to increasing the chemical load that can reach the bloodstream in a given period of time, than spending five minutes in a low-fat, or a diluted and contaminated, solvent! :yay:

Even heavy cream, is less than 50% fat.

Even in India, they've been doing better at processing cannabis, than we have for the last three decades, and they've been doing it for thousands of years!

They've known for generations, upon generations, that the correct exposure to oil, combined with heat and time, is required for the best effect from the least amount of material.

It's why they make canna oil just like we do, with pure oil and fat, and exposure to heat, or more traditionally (and a still-used method today) they would pre-treat their cannabis and hash with ghee, a probiotic clarified butter, then they would store the herb-ghee blends for weeks, or even months in advance, in concealed pots, often still near a heat source or the warmer locations of their homes, before serving them in milks, yogurts and foods.

So not only do they use adequate heat and time, but they don't use regular butter, because in its original state it is less efficient. They've known enough to use the clarified butter, 'ghee', purged of its water content and milk solids!

They are VERY clever people! :cool:

We on the other hand, even today, are a bit more stubborn when it comes to processing; we still rely on old wives tales and urban legends from the 60's, when it comes to processing (ie. water-butters, anyone! *shudder*).

And as a result, we often tend to spend the same time and effort required, if not more time and effortthan it should take to make oil properly at times, and we often fail miserably when attempting to cut corners by ignoring science and logic... logic that other cultures have seen, as nothing more than 'common sense', for thousands of years! :p

The dramatic lack of effect that a diluted solvent has, on its solute, is why our water-butters used to take 15 - 24 hours to be 'complete' and yet they still don't match up to a pure oil, made in only a fraction of that time.

Another example that cannabis-folks would be familiar with:

Water contamination is why you also use a minimum of above 70% alcohol (and preferably, above 90%) when performing an extraction for hash/oil, and it's why you wouldn't want the naptha used for RSO/Phoenix Tears, diluted with water.

The same basic principles of any solvent-based extraction, apply when extracting a known solute:

The more pure your solvent is, the faster and greater your extraction load, and the fewer adulterants (like salt, chlorophyll etc) you'll pull in. You get speed, and purity, when working with the right solvent.

This is why we don't make green dragon by using standard-strength whiskey, rum or vodka; their alcohol content's fall below 50%, and purity is even more important when it comes to oil.

Edible oils and lipids function during an extraction much more slowly than alcohol, and more slowly than industrial solvents (but not quite as slow as glycerin)....

A 30 second wash in 90% alcohol will pull in multiple times the glandular material, as a 30 second was in 70%. In 70%, you're also pulling in more impurities.

And thirty minutes in a pure oil, will pull in MANY-multiple-times the potency, as you'd pull in when using an oil-based solvent that is less than half-pure.

---

And simple extraction aside, pulling cannabis glandular material into oil is only the beginning; it then needs to be heated for long enough, that the increased speed and motion of the particles within can 'vibrate' or shake the microscopic clusters of cannabinoids apart, separating them, and eventually that same technique causes a resistant 'shell' of the bioavailable solvent; this is how we facilitate absorption!

Any less, and you almost may as well simply eat your herb, alongside a pat of butter, and hope for the best :p

Back to bioavailability....

Very simply, that technique is known (again) as LET, liposomal encapsulation or metabolic enhancement, and it's performed on everything from vitamin C and other difficult to absorb vitamins, to pharmaceuticals/prescription meds, and painkillers.

Without these easily-absorbed carriers or potency delivery 'vehicles', much of our potency bounces off our cell walls, rather than passing through them, and it continues down our tract for 'evacuation' without ever being delivered to the bloodstream. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The above 'water' could be brownie mix, it could be a beverage, or it could simply be the extra contents of your stomach after swallowing canna oil as it is, or inside of an actual gelatin (or vegan :D ) capsule.

When you process in oil gently, for long enough, a solution is formed in such a way when the solvent (in this case, oil) creates a persistent 'coat' on the broken down particles of the solute (cannabis glandular material)... once this occurs, you have a bioavailable 'solution'.

They do this for supplements and pharmaceuticals, so that for instance, a mere 5mg of vitamin C in the form of ascorbic acid, when liposomally treated, will deliver the same chemical load to your bloodstream, as a whopping 125mg when left without treatment or with inadequate treatment.

They sell varieties of vitamins, just like vit. C in the form of ascorbic acid, that are more and less efficient, based on the level and type of treatment they've been given.

(And that's why processing matters just as much with cannabis; so that you don't need four grams one day, and only a half a gram the next, just to get the same sensations!)

Back to Vit. C.....

Most of the 5mg is absorbed efficiently, when liposomally treated.

But an even larger majority of the 125mg untreated dose, is evacuated in your waste, without ever having reached your bloodstream!

Same goes for canna! :eek:

Both the 5mg dose, and the 125mg dose, due to their differing treatments, provide the same chemical load to the system, and the properly treated one ALWAYS wins in terms of the speed of delivery!

(A well made edible has a fast 20 - 30 minute onset, versus a poorly made edible, with four or five times the material per dose, that can take two+ hours for onset to occur).

So far, the benefits for correct processing with pure solvents are:

- Greatly improved efficiency of the total dose, compared to the volume of absorption; less potency escapes in your 'waste'.

- Efficiency of initial absorption and speed of onset; edibles made well, kick in faster.

- Reduced time during processing; pure solvents are faster.

- More reliable/consistent results dose-to-dose; all those who consume from a single batch meet their needs with their usual dose.

Why the quickie methods 'can' be good!!:

If you've never have a 'dry day' and you always have smoke, or if you have pounds and pounds at your disposal, and you even tend to let bud go to waste when you pick up or grow fresh batches.... then over-eating herb, and 'eliminating' vast quantities of potency in your waste, without ever having it reach your bloodstream, may not be an issue.
    If you're that Wiz guy, that everyone talks about, and it doesn't matter how much you waste in an effort to absorb a little potency, then go for it, you lucky dog! :)

Otherwise, if getting a reasonable amount of potency from your stash is important, try to avoid diluted solvents...

A solvent diluted with water, either adds time, OR it multiples the herb needed, for your recipe. A diluted solvent doesn't, and simply can't, reduce those factors.

You'll need to make up for it with additional time, materials or both.

One or the other must bend, and even with added time, if you degrade too much potency via the required additional heat exposure, you'll never have the same potency you could have had, in a fraction of that time, with a pure solvent.

You will make more progress, in ANY given period of time, with a pure solvent and the correct exposure to heat.

These time saving methods do only that; save time.

And it's at the cost of your potency. :eek:

In other words (TL;DR :p ), the quickie methods may 'work' for some people.

But for ALL people, including those they work for, including those with or without any amount of tolerance, and especially for those who have had regular access to decent medical oils, even if they have the most 'unnaturally-efficient digestion', there are consequences when you take (what usually only seems, like) the easy way out.

Regardless of the situation, when corners are cut, and you lose out on both active potency AND absorption, there are consequences, and it can not be compared to a medical oil.
    Gram for gram, potency -is- wasted when you take short-cuts, and the results are that it requires multiple times the material your body should need, in order to achieve the effect you'd normally receive, from a mere fraction of the material processed properly (ie, your costs may go from $5 per dose in a properly made oil, to something closer to $50 per dose, when cutting corners :eek: ) !

Hope this helps clear things up! :wave:

14. I'm in the medical field and they throw a big chunk of pharma-tech at us in school, so I know a fair bit about bioavailability and the body systems, namely the digestive system. I know you're right about extracting the most out of your plant material using time and the proper solvents (I've made a glycerin tincture using time alone!) but I just wanted to explain to OP that he need not get discouraged, and a simple coffee edible is indeed possible without having to make edible hash oil or anything complex of the sort.

Like I said, I massively appreciate your work, and I'd like to become a good enough cook/chef to make what you make regardless of the cannabis content :laughing: I love how much work and effort you put into all your posts, really says something about how much you care about the medical marijuana community and spreading knowledge to help others.

Much love, and I haven't checked but if it lets me.. +rep!

15. So...

...can you expand on this statement?

16. look up cannamilk recipes, it basically boils down (lolol) simmering weed in cream or whatever in a pan for a while and then using that green cream with coffee. Some people filter out the weed bits with a cheese cloth, but I personally leave them in because 1. There might be some activated cannabinoids in the ganja that hadn't been released into the cream and 2. I love chewing on nuggets haha.

Check out recipes, there are a lot of TeaHC (canna-tea) recipes on various weed forums around the web which are basically the same idea.

Best of luck and may the ganj be with you

17. ok did some research looks like you can boil some water lightly add butter or coconut oil and half a gram. Let lightly boil for 35-45 min stirring frequently. Once done strain the water and use this water in exchange for the regular water in your Keurig