Can I put germinated seed directly into final pot?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Drgreensthumb, May 27, 2012.

1. It seems like most guides I have seen for germinating seeds say to germinate and put into a smaller pot then move them into the bigger pot later. Is it ok if I put my germinated seed right into a 5 gallon pot? :confused:

2. It makes no diference, people put it on smaller pots for moving purposes, I do it at least

3. I like to transplant several times. I think it builds a larger denser root mass. Plus if you have overwatering problems a transplant can help it bounce back faster.

4. You will have much better chances of growing a strong healthy plant by sizing up a seedling or cutting in a smaller pot, then transplant to a larger pot to finish. This is an industry standard in the green industry. You can make it work from a seedling in a larger pot, but it takes a much more observant grower to keep from overwatering and stunting the plant. You can't go wrong following proven horticultural practices.

PW

5. The main reason for starting in a small pot and moving up is to force the roots to fill the whole soil mass instead of just growing to the outside of a large container and wrapping around, totally missing the middle of the soil. It makes a stronger and denser root system to start in a small pot and gradually move up.

BUT the best way to control this IMO is to grow in aeration containers like smart pots. The roots grow to the edge of the soil, feel air and know to stop growing. This makes the plant send out new roots from the base and you end up with a huge root system than fills every inch of soil in your container. By far the best option to growing in ground. You can start straight in a large container, never have to transplant and lose time to shock. The plants grow extremely fast and it's nearly impossible to get root rot or root bound. Check them out in my grow log.

This is one plant I vegged several weeks in a camo pot (like smart pots) then moved outdoors and buried in the ground do the roots can grow through the fabric pot.

Attached Files:

6. Put it in its final pot. One less stress the plant dont need.