Can I pull a 400w HPS off in this grow space?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Cyric99, Jan 28, 2007.

1. I've been looking at this: really cheap...

http://www.insidesun.com/index.php/action/item/id/72/

My grow space is a 2x2x3 cabinet right now that I'm using 520w of CFLs in. If I get a female from one of these 2 plants I want to start a clone/scrog setup.

Can anyone help me with the minimum amount of space I should look to have for a 400w HPS? I would keep the 2x2x3 for the mommy.

2. oh yes, do tell...do tell....

i have been wondering along the same lines. My hopefull prospective grow will be in a small closet...i'll have a little more room than 2x2x3 i think though. i'll be watching this for answers.

3. That's a tiny space for a 400w, you'll need robust air circulation drawing from ample fresh cool air.

But then you say you will use this space for the mother, so I assume you will use the 400w for flowering in some other space, so I'm confused.

4. I agree with toasty.

5. Sorry, thought I was clear guys. Yes, I will be using the 2x2x3 for the mom and buy/building a new cabinet for the 400w HPS and the clones. So I'm curious as to the minimum cab size I would need for this new one

6. possibly something like this?

[​IMG]

7. That cab would be sufficient. Just HAVE to vent really well to keep temps down.

8. where the bloody hell can you buy something like that for cheap? if i look in a store..anything that size is going for over 200...i'd like something that big about...i dont care what its made of..jsut so i can put it in my closet...AND LOCK IT!...

any good places to get things like that onling that yopu know of that you have to put tovether yourself?

9. well in the UK, ASDA do wardrobes for £49.99 (so $100)....

asda is owned by wal-mart, so try there if ur across the pond!

10. i like the grow idea, but and there is a big but, you are going to run into heat issues.
    sorry mate, but that is true. a good venting will keep the temps down, but you seem to be not to sure of your self on this matter, so i would say get some floro's like a 150watt full spec, thats all i use, im not into comercal growing, just good organic smoke. and some mylar a small filter and your done, but remember the red spectrum
    bulb, and trust you will get some fat lil bitches, regardless what anyone says about floro's plus your electric bill is cheap. oh and no heat...good luck

11. if you all are in the states, homedepot sells those cabs that cyric99 posted for $80-$110. the brand is "mills pride" and they kick ass for making grow cabs.

12. I'm already doing a CFL grow... it's not up to what I want. I don't sound sure of myself because I've never done anything like a 400w HPS so naturally, I would have questions.

Thanks for helping, think I'm gonna go with this cab. You can get them at Home Depot for around $80-100 at mine.

13. Just get a good exhaust fan and life will be good. You can also do it with a cool-tube and then you definitely won't have heat issues.

14. The good ol' C-cab. I think Mills Pride does 50% of its business to MJ growers...

Many have put a 400w HID into that cab, but managing temps is something only you can judge and control. You must draw in fresh cool air and exhaust out the hot air. Definitely think about a cool tube.

15. check out my grow, I put a 250wHPS in a cabinet, the flowering area under the air cooled light is 30'' high, 14.25''deep, and 24'' wide. I wouldn't want more than a 250w in here.

Bear in mind I plan to scrog it and harvest a minimum of 4oz after my first grow and I'm using clones.