Can I prune 2 of 4 colas at a young age?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by kusheclair, Aug 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. My plant is probably 6 inches now with 4 colas. Stems are getting nice and thick, 2 of the colas are developing pretty huge leaves but the other 2, while seemingly developing okay are growing a little slower and some of the leaves are coming through, on these 2 colas, with one of their blades deformed and half size, with the whole leaf being slightly smaller than it's opposite counterpart.

Can I prune these colas, what will happen, could I use them as clones, should I just let them grow/will they still create good buds even if the leaves are a bit malformed?

Thanks any help is appreciated

2. Got a photo ? Don't cut anything off the plant of its already flowering. You'll only lose in that. If you want more light to get to a certain part of the plant use something to tie it to the side of the container it's in and gently pull. Like this ¡¡¡¡ 20160824_151718.jpg don't pull anything off a flowering plant unless it's a rotten bud or something like that. You'll only lose in the end. These things will grow around fences if you need em to

• Like Like x 2
  3. You're in flower only prune buds that are not going to get much light and thus not develope much. If you have 4 tops and 2 tops arent as big as the other 2 keep em there only trim off under buds that arnt going to get light.

4. Flowering at 6 inches ? You sure they're colas ? You can cut whatever you like . you could use as clones unless they are auto flowers .
    picture will help

• Like Like x 3
  5. Do you mean colas as in the highest point of the plant being the main stem becomes a cola when it flowers.

What stage is your plant at.

• Like Like x 1
  6. #6 kusheclair, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Yeah my bad, my first plant I was using the wrong terminology, I'm just referring to the 4 main stems, not flowering yet

lil embarassing haha, can probably get a picture tomorrow, it's like one blade of each leaf is half eaten away in a round shape, but it grew that way, and on the next node of that stem another blade of a leaf has started to grow out deformed/curled

• Like Like x 1
  7. I was considering taking 2 of the stems as clones but unsure if they'll perform well because of the deformation seemingly carrying on between nodes.

8. Could you mean the cotlyedon leaves? They're the first set of single bladed leaves and are rounded.

9. No stress thats what the sight is for ..Don't even sweat it. If they're only 6 inches tall don't cut anything at all. Let the plant grow, it will outgrow any issues it has. If you remove anything from a seedling it's gonna mess up the plant. Remove a fan leaf and you won't get a branch there , the only possible thing I would personally do to a seedling is top it if it's already got 3 pairs of real fan leafs going. Anything before that I wouldn't. If you top it by removing the very top growth of the plant on its third set of fans leafs you'll end up with two nice main stems hence doubling the plants production. Let all those branches and leafs fill in nice and thick and bushy. If I had to sum up success in a shirt comment. I'd say grow as many branches and leafs as possible and keep em green as long as possible. What type of light are you growing under ? How large a pot are you using ? And what strain is it. Also what do you plan on feeding them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Oh also. How much height is your grow space got to work with ... think about it. You can tuck fans leafs out of the way so branches get more light. You can also gently tie down branches to get inner parts more light and when you tie the branches down sideways just remember. The tallest part of the plant. The highest point will become your fastest largest growing part of the plant. So me I usualy tie all the branches so they're growing straight out lying down , then every spot along that branch where fan leafs grow you will have more branches grow from there. It might seem a lot to remember but it's not. And once you go through the process you'll totaly get it ..once I realized every single branch is its own actual plant I realized growing branches out flat till all the stuff along em got tall , then releasing them all when I switch to flower ...you can end up with 60 tops on a plant nice and even...so the light can get close. Sorry totaly baked babbled on there.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks so much for the response, I'll get a picture of the leaves in a couple of hours. My grow space is in a closet where I can move the shelf above my plants so I can increase my grow space to probably 6ft if needed (or will be, currently I'm just letting it sit under CFLs and the sun during the sunny days)

I topped it pretty young so wasn't sure if that had caused the deformities. I've been using tiny amounts of some generic fert I have until I manage to get hold of possibly the GO box. Nutes are the last thing I've thought about honestly. I'm just finishing getting my grow space set up before I grab a few autoflowers, I'm not sure what the strain is cus it's just some bag seed but seems to be growing nice and bushy.

Since I'm such a noob I'm thinking maybe I fucked up and actually only have the 2 main "stems" and the other 2 are always going to be a little smaller.

Regardless I'll take your advice and continue some LST on it, thanks!

12. Hmm I wonder if you maybe fimmed the plant , sometimes if you leave a tiny tiny bit of leaf material they do grow all crazy looking , it doesn't really cause two colas up top but the lower branches shoot up really quick then the top grows some crazy looking leafs. Lst is awesome , fim , super crop , lst, and topping all together can produce amazing results.
    When autos first came out they were so shItty I couldn't even consider them. I've heard they got better so I ended up getting a free seed the other day with my order called northern lights blue auto , I'm gonna give it a try but I havnt heard much about it that's good. If it's easy growing and shirt flower time your looking for there's a strain called maple leaf , and one that's maple leaf x black domina that both flower completely in 45 days but aren't autos they're indica. Might be something you wanna consider ..

• Like Like x 1
  13. I mean I'm not sure, the top that I took off didn't grow back and it sprouted 4 large stems which is why I was referring to them all as mains. I'll just let it grow and see where it goes, I've tied the bigger ones down.. see if I can encourage the other 2 to grow a little more. Pics soooooon

I heard of someone elses perpetual closet grow where they start 2 autos while 2 are entering flowering, which sounds perfect for the setup I want. I'm really interested in growing photoperiods too but since I'm just starting out I wanted to get a first yield quickly because buying bud is getting too expensive hahaha.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hopefully these pics are good enough, leaves are wet because it's just been raining. The two stems that are tied down are the ones that are growing pretty large and healthy looking, these two stems I'm showing you here are the ones I'm talking about.

First pic you can see isn't too bad, the leaves have taken form but one blade is smaller on both side shoots.
    Second pic is the other stem where the leave deformation is a little more obvious, it seems like overall growth from these two stems is slower and the partial leaf deformation seems to be carrying on through each node. Also it's a little more obvious here the growth tips look like one of the next leaves is coming through deformed too.

Shall I just let it grow how it's going for now and see how it recovers?

1.jpg
    2.jpg

15. What is the strain? I'm going to offer 2 possibilities.

Is this from a female seed or clone? From the pic I'd assume maybe a female seed but that's not really important. I wouldn't bother removing anything at this point, judging from your other fan leafs you have a bit of a mutated (thats probably not the right word) genetics. Typical plants throw out 5 finger leafs from the get go, yours I can see is only throwing 3 finger leafs so I'm not surprised to see other leafs doing weird things. Should you cut them, no not at this point let the plant get 12" and you'll know if she's worth a flower run. 3 finger and mutated leafs are not desired but with everyone and the mother thinking their breeders and with all these damn female seeds breeding practices have gone way to money!!

After lights nutes are the most important thing to your plant (air flow, temp, humidity, light, nutes, pot size these are all top priorities). Watering is very important, your leafs are really wet in the pic if you're misting them good on ya but if you're watering and getting the leafs all wet consider another watering method. What I do (I stole this off the internet) for small plants is I take a 16 ounce plastic water bottle poke 4 holes in the lid and water using that so that I can get water to the soil not the leaf. If you can't get yourself the GO box (my first grows were using General Organics for veg so I got nothing against them) head to your local hydro store, let them know that you just started a vegitable garden and looking to try out some new nutes, ask if they have samples of anything, this will buy ya another week or 2 if you need to save up some $$.

All that said I know of a killer Gods Gift cut (and i've seen others) that clones always grow 3 finger leafs until its about 12" tall, craziest thing but there seems to be no issues with the plant other than the leafs, the smoke is what matters.

BTW using the LST method on your first run? Brave!!

phew long winded today

• Like Like x 1
  16. Awesome info thanks, the seed is actually just a bag seed which spurred my interest in all of this. LSTing isn't too daunting honestly I'm really enjoying it so far. Leaves were just wet from the rain since I've been letting it get the last bit of summer sun while I wait for my bulbs to arrive :)

It started out with 3 leaves but all the growth at the very top of the plant is now throwing out an extra one or two leaves every node. I've already got the first 7 fingered leaves coming through!

17. That's actualy awesome. Looks like you have a mutant there but you said you took some off the top right. Tying em down will allow those other ones to become full blown plants. I tie all my branches down then theyou grow branches then they grow branches then they do and so on. They end up with 60 or so tops all even. I untie em all rt before flower.

18. Those smaller inside ones will get much much bigger than those larger ones left to just grow like that then tie those down etc. Great start actualy.

19. Sorry forgot to say. The highest part of the plant highest leaf , stem ,whatever part it is that's gonna grow the fastest. So you can manipulate smaller ones by letting them sit at a higher spot...