Can i plug a 600w Hps into a timer into the wall?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ballastboy, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Can i plug a 600w Hps into a timer into the wall?

Or do i need a contactor?.... First time using an ballast system so just want to be safe.

2. yeah you can just besure you gave a nice timer.

3. bulb -> socket (in reflector) -> cable from socket to plug -> ballast -> cable from ballast to plug -> light timer (18 hours light/6 hours dark for veg, 12 light on 12 light off for flower) -> wall outlet.:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. But I read about timers failing if I plug straight in?

But will give it a shot, hope the house doesnt burn down, thanks.

5. I've never heard of timers failing..Check out maybe some youtube videos on timers?:rolleyes:

6. Look for a quality 15A timer, something like this:

Single Outlet Analog Timer |

Simon

7. Thanks guys will check out both!

8. How did you make out? I recently am having this problem wanting to make sure I use the right type. I've been plugging and unplugging manually as I'd rather that way if there's no safe timer out there to use with a ballast.

9. 2011 thread, they're not probably going to reply

Get a timer, it's going to get old real fast doing that all the time and never being able to go anywhere for long. There's lots of safe timers. Titan makes a nice product

10. Thanks man! I didn't think I'd get any reply at all lol. They're in flower now so it's a bit easier but surprisingly even when at 18-6 and working 2nd shift I was on top of waking up every AM at 8am to turn em on lol they must mean that much to me

11. No you're just new. Give it some time and you'll be like why the fk don't I buy a timer, this is getting old.

Plus think about it, you'll never be able to go anywhere even just for a day....gotta be home every 12 hours. You'll want a life that doesnt revolve around plugging and unplugging

• Like Like x 3
  12. Yeah titan, 15A timers have 3 of them. Work great.