Can I make my own Kelp Extract?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by LionInTheJungle, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Can I make my own Kelp Extract using Kelp Meal and would it be just as good as store bought Kelp Extract?:smoke:

2. In theory, it sounds like it would work since its just seaweed but in terms of a definite yes or no, i cant say. what i can say is i cant imagine it would hurt to try. im interested in the answer as well.

3. In some ways kelp meal is better than kelp extract, why do want to make extract? I have and use both, the prices seem reasonable for me, and in three years i'm still on my first extract lb. I use the meal in teas and in the soil, but I like the ease of using extract in sprays....MIW

4. LionInTheJungle

The answer to your first question is 'No' with a couple of caveats and therefore the answer to your second question would also be 'No'

The extraction methods used to produce seaweed extract from kelp can be divided into chemical hydrolysis (i.e. potassium hydroxide), physical extraction (i.e., high-pressure and cold process), biological fermentation (i.e., enzyme degradation method) and so on. The different content of active material and nutrient in the end product will be obtained by the different methods.

The two companies that own the seaweed extract business are Maxicrop and Acadian Seaplants, Ltd. (ASL) and while both basically use the same chemical hydrolysis method, Maxicrop uses heat while ASL does not.

An example of high-pressure extraction product is KELPAK which is based in South Africa and they use a different brown kelp than does Maxicrop & ASL (which use the North Atlantic variety).

Examples of biological fermentation (enzyme degradation) are used in products like KelpGrow (British Columbia) and Eco-Nutrients' Eco-Nereo Kelp Liquid product and they're out of Crescent City, California.

Most of the manufacturers in the world is using chemical hydrolysis, the biggest disadvantage of chemical method is that it destroys many activity materials and nutrients because of strong acid and high temperature.

Biological fermentation is achieved by using multifold enzyme complex (papain & bromelain) which is obtained during the process of microbial metabolizing, to decompose larger molecule substances of algae into smaller and water-soluble ones, instead of strong alkali and high temperature of chemical method, and cold and high pressure of physical method, therefore, the natural bioactive substances in seaweed are furthest maintained in the end product.

So, unless you'e pretty experienced in organic chemistry at least to the level found in completing (successfully) upper division classes in this area, I'd offer a kindly suggestion that at $14.00 per lb. for legitimate, human food-grade extract (which will make between 125 and 150 gallons of 'seaweed extract tea') you might find other things to consider to increase the viability & health of your garden(s).

Taking kelp meal (or fresh kelp which is a really bad idea, BTW) and adding that to water with lactobacillus (like EM-1 or Carandang's BIM method) you'll end up with fermented kelp which is not seaweed/kelp extract by any definition. Not even close as far as it relates to polysaccharides, secondary metabolites, enzymes, et al.

Even if you were to buy both papain & bromelain (easily sourced and cheap) you'd still need a solid background in both the science and methodology of extracting compounds from plant material(s) to pull it off.

Something like that.

LD

5. LD, I am continually amazed at your knowledge and grateful that you take the time to help out on this forum.

I don't mean to embarrass you, I just appreciate the time you take to help us out. Thanks, once again.

JaK

6. Lumperdawgz thats some amazing knowledge thank you. Im not gonna even try doing that. Im gonna get me some of that Extract you suggested.

7. WI Wolverine gave you the best advice in using kelp meal (which is basically untouched) with a 'helper role' using a seaweed extract powder.

What you don't get with the powdered extracts are 2 of the major reasons for using kelp (algae) in the first place - Alginic Acid and Mannitol. However an extract is processed compounds like these (Secondary Metabolites) are completely de-constructed to their base elements, i.e. Carbon, Hydrogen and Oxygen. Period.

Take Alginic Acid for example, it has molecular formula of (C6H8O6)n which you can see is simply a hydrocarbon - Carbon (6) with Hydrogen (80) and Oxygen (6) in a specific structure. Regardless of structure this compound is broken apart in about 3 hours after introducing whatever chemical, enzyme or fermentation agent that is being used.

The reason for wanting Alginic Acid in your soil is that it can absorb 300x it's weight in water meaning that having kelp meal in the soil will increase the water holding capacity whereas applying seaweed extract would not give you this benefit. The Alginic Acid went bye-bye.

Same is true with Mannitol (C6H14O6) which functions as a chelating agent in the soil. It too is a hydrocarbon and is broken apart within hours.

Same deal - using seaweed extract will not give you the benefit from Mannitol because there is none any longer. It also went bye-bye.

LD

• Like Like x 1
  8. Endless organic knowledge from you Lumperdawgz much appreciated. Thanks you too Wolverine.

9. so using fresh seaweed is not an option?

10. If it came from a site that was not polluted and is was of a beneficial variety, then it would be an option......MIW

11. Dude just buy some kelp meal. Its not expensive and it will cull any doubts.

VOO

12. Voo, you said it. At a buck a pound...

Kelp meal is one of my "must haves". I use it in my soil mix, I use it in teas for drench and in teas for foliar. I add it to my worm bin and use it in my compost pile. I topdress with it too. For an all around generally fantastic product that does SO much for us, I think every organic gardener is missing out big time if they dont include this product in thier garden.

jerry.

13. LD

i would like to make fertilizers from kelp. what is the best method to follow, keeping the essential compounds active in the final product. Also the end product should help in conditioning the soil and increase the water holding capacity. please help. Thank you in advance.
    myk.

14. i would like to make fertilizers from kelp. what is the best method to follow, keeping the essential compounds active in the final product. Also the end product should help in conditioning the soil and increase the water holding capacity. please help. Thank you in advance.
    myk.

15. Read here - http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/951823-botanicals.html

J

16. Hi.

Thank you so much for taking your time to post this information.
    I found your post randomly while looking for an answer to my question how to help skin to absorb nutrients externally. So, I created an account in order to contact you.
    I'm impressed with your knowledge and wanted to ask if you could mentor or advice me as I'm working on a skin care formula that suppose to include natural ingredients. I just thought that fermentation helps encapsulation of a smaller particles that can be easily absorbed through stratum corneum (outer skin layer).

Thank you in advance.
    Hope to hear from you and will appreciate your answer.

Elvira.

17. Elvira, Lumperdawgz hasn't been around here in awhile. I think you'll be waiting on a response from him for longer than you'll want...

J