Can I just say... this is a great (fun) hobby?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Hamjack, Mar 27, 2017.

1. I'm a 64 year old professional guy who used to smoke recreationally back in the 60s, 70s, 80s... Last year I blew out my back and developed sciatica. Advil barely touches it, I don't want surgery and, because I'm a corporate guy I don't want a Massachusetts Medical Marijuana Card... who trusts the government to not blow your cover? A friend gave me some weed and some consumables last fall and my sciatica symptoms went away... temporarily. Once recreational became legal I decided to start growing. Since I planted in late January my wife continues to remark about "Your new hobby!" (I also raise AKC Championship dogs, play golf, fish and play guitar)... I have two grow tents going with 11 plants while learning a shitload about this unique and beautiful plant. Given I started this in winter, it has been a a lot of fun (and way more work than I anticipated) and a great way to while away the winter weeks. I'll never take on 11 plants again. Once I harvest these I'll be doing a couple at a time of auto fems... but this first grow has been an amazing experience. Thanks to all of you have given assistance as I work my way through this.... (that's only 7 of my plants...) IMG_3050.JPG

• Like Like x 7
  2. "Wasn't my back hurt as fuck? How come that I'm walking for 2 hours without having a burning leg?"
    Said I when I realized that how a "recreational" smoking session of last night helped me to go thorough the next day without feeling a bit of pain! (already diagnosed with 8 different lower back issues + 4 bulging discs so it would be 12 in total lol)
    Well, I'm much younger and my girlfriend is just jealous and say "yeah, mommy! go and spend more time with your children!". (jokingly of course :D)
    Not saying how moving pots and doing some little activities here and there helping my mind resting and my body exercising a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  3. For a new grower those are really good looking plants. Good job.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Looking great man! Great job!

It really is more of a hobby for me than anything else. I really don't even smoke a whole lot anymore. I just enjoy growing things. Along with my cannabis grow I've got a half acre garden out back with a greenhouse for all sorts of veggies and greens/herbs, as well as a bunch of fruit trees. I work in high end senior level IT work, so getting away from the hardcore ones and zeros and coming home and just helping stuff grow is so relaxing, and fun.

But yes, it is a ton of work. People don't seem to understand how much work it is to successfully grow quality bud and have great yields.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Thank you... I've been growing flowers and veggies for about 50 years... But these plants are waaaaay more complex. I have one more 400 true watt light coming... that tent should explode when I flip to flower in another week or two.

6. Growing weed keeps us off the streets and out of trouble ehhh???

• Like Like x 3
  7. I'm actually the CEO of a $250 million company. This is therapy... and anything that takes away the pain and burning of my sciatica is a wonderful thing! Btw, my company does not require drug tests!

8. Awesome man! The company I work for doesn't require drug tests either and is based out of Massachusetts as well, I'm a remote employee. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. You hiring?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. What skills have you got? Central Massachusetts?
    Financial Services.

• Like Like x 1
  11. North of Boston on the coast.

Went to college for business management, but a machinist by trade

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. They don't want machinists on drugs... that makes a certain amount of sense.