Can i grow a plant with this bulb?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by TazzLAzz, Nov 3, 2011.

1. DuraMax 45W 120V R20 SPLL TP 3CT - Philips

With two of those and 23actual watt cfl?

i dont got a job so i can't buy any good lights. I literally only have like three dollars. but i got some good seeds and gardening tools.

I was on this forum and the dude grew a whole mini plant in a party cup. could i pull something like that off?

What about with one 23w cfl and two 13w?

2. This isn't a horticultural bulb. I know you want to grow, but without proper equipment you have to be realistic. I suppose you have to ask yourself if all of the time and effort is worth your while to harvest an eighth to a quarter of dried bud.

3. Lol so is that a yes? Its not gonna take any time or effort on my part man. I rig up a box in twenty minutes. Install the bulb and hit the switch every 12 hours.

And i actually enjoy gardening very much. I'm kinda expecting to get out of it what i put in anyway.

4. do you think it's worth your time effort and experience gained for a couple grams?

it takes at least 60 days, and that's without vegitation.

5. Again its not going to take up any of my time or effort. I don't plan on sitting and watching the plant grow man. As i have already stated i enjoy gardening already. And i kinda wanna try my hand at growing weed. Its not like its gonna cost me any money. Even if all my seeds come out mail it won't matter all that much to me.

6. Then do it. But do not "hit the switch every twelve hours" until you're ready to start flowering. During veg you can literally give the plants 24 hours of light seven days a week.

I think you need to do some research and at the very least get a grasp on the basics before you start to grow. ;)

7. Lmao. As i said i want to keep the plant small. I am most likely gonna flower from seed. Maybe veg for a couple weeks. I know a lot about growing.

8. #8 medical grower, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2011
    Be my guest. However, I would feel much better about your grow if you said the primary reason for doing it was to learn about the plant, make mistakes and learn from them , etc, etc. And not to sound pompous, but if you indeed "know a lot about growing" I'm wondering why you would post such a basic question about lighting, especially when its quite obvious to anyone with even a little growing experience that the bulb you linked wasn't even remotely designed for growing.

That's all I have to say in this thread.

:rolleyes:

9. #9 GrowThePainAway, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2011

if you have only 3 dollars to your name im assuming your power is going to be cut off soon. good luck sir. like medical said you are trying to get yield on more of an expedition first grow.

even just 3 CFLs will run you 3 dollars on the electric bill. especially when its 24/0 lights.

growing marijuana on your first go is almost always going to cost a good fraction of the value of what you harvest.

also. you think its not gonna cost any money for ferts after your leaves start turning yellow at the tips and spotted all over?...read up, think. growing inside in a box is way different than growing beans and tomatoes....

if you are going to do a legit micro, hit up the micro grow forum, and come back with some ideas. id be glad to help.

10. Buy a timer , under $10

11. Get a shitty part time job to pay for a legit setup man.

12. Why are you taking things so personal? People on this forum really need to learn to chillax. I could have sworn this was a stoner forum. Just because you think growing without high yield is a waste of time doesn't mean i agree.

Oh and i obviously realize it isn't a plant bulb. Anyone can look at the bulb and tell that. But CFLS aren't made for growing plants. And neither are a lot of lights that people use. I was looking for someone with more knowledge then myself to help me out. You are obviously not that person.

I have three dollars after sustenance obviously.

I don't plan on using fertilizer in my plant anyway. Plenty of people grow organic and there leaves don't fall off the plant. So idk what you are talking about.

But if i do happen to need some fertilizer or anything else i already have all of that stuff. As i said i have everything that i need except the lights. My bros friend has all his stuff from past grows stored in my garage.

As far as a box growing being different i realize that. I have read most of the stickies. And i have read countless articles on growing.

My question was if that bulb would be able to grow weed. And honestly i am starting to think that neither of you guys actually know the answer to the question. That bulb isn't incandescent but it doesn't say that it is HPS or MH either which is why i asked.

You don't need to ridicule me. Or talk down to me. You can answer the original question and then leave.

So can anyone answer the original question?

13. DO a barrel roll.

14. First of all, i'm not taking anything personally so drop it. I was only trying to help you. And to directly answer your question before i leave, no, the bulb obviously isn't either an HPS or MH. Even it it was you'd need the correct socket, luminaire and ballast to make it work, which you obviously don't have. But its also obvious that you've made your mind up to do things incorrectly, so go right ahead. You'd think that you would at least consider our advice, whether you take it or not. Oh, and "growing organic" doesn't mean that you're not giving the plants nutrients, it means that you're only giving the plants nutrients utilizing organic methods. :cool:

15. #15 deweyj, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2011

O.K. ass-monkeys! get this! the lights do contain mercury (CFLS) so in affect they are a micro halide or a micro hps in their capabilities. folks dont get it but our first grows were with street lamps. "not designed for growing weed" and we used shop lights for veg. only in the last couple decades have folks up standardized the bulbs to better growing spectrums (grow bulbs).
    we had two street lamps a blue mercury or yellow/orange hps. as well, we had standard tubes in garage fivtures. the answer to your ? is yes, any light can grow weed. what you need to consider is how many plants and ultimately if you will add lighting in the future. you can veg under those lights but the seedlings need a passive 10-15w blue cfl (aquarium bulb) or two. then the flower and veg can be done with the 23s provided you can move them around the box easily. two lights like that will do a plant but to do more would mean adding addl light for more lumens as they dont penetrate well with a couple bulbs. to use the cfl affectivly for light penetration you would do best to create a small scrog panel to train the plant canopy and separate the flower sites so each flower gets quality light. got a bud that uses a shittin bathroom vanity light with 6 23s and he keeps them close to his flowers and does great with density and quality. dont let no bozos put down your shit. its do-able and has been done for a decade now. use cfls as a supplemental source or emergency lighting or during hot summer days when hps is over heating a grow, switch to them till shit cools down. they have great potential at about 1-2 bucks a gram in cost out. thats cheaper and better than you will get anywhere. keep em close and you want to wait a while to flower from seed as the new plant is still light sensitive for a while. give it a few weeks in veg to be sure it gets a good root system. always remember a root is the eq. of the canopy, a weak root = week canopy. now go prove me right and tell the nay-sayers to get bent. -D-

Name-Calling/Disrespect is not allowed here. - KSR

16. use the 13ws to veg and the 23s for flower and get them close as possible w/o getting the plants hot. a great example for you is the aerogarden aquaponics lighting. check it out 2 bulbs and a pump w/ built in timing and sequencing. its for herbs but grows on the same principles only herbs are vegged all the time and not induced to flower so the bulbs are a bluer spectrum. point is it has been applied and works well! -D-

17. #17 medical grower, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2011
    Yeah... and a doctor could attempt to perform brain surgery in his garage with a fucking butter knife, but that doesn't mean that he should, Ass-Monkey.

Seriously, who gives a shit what was used twenty or thirty years ago? What you're talking about is the modern equivalent of trying to run a high-tech video game on a Commodore 64. With all of the modern growing tech available these days why would you even consider something like this? Shit in = Shit out. Its as simple as that. Keep growing using your shit bulbs with your shit tech and i'll toke down on my own top-shelf bud.

Why do I even get involved in some of these threads... some mother fuckers are always trying to skate uphill, Ass-Monkey :eek:

Name-Calling/Disrespect is not allowed here. - KSR

18. And did i not already say that i am growing for the experience? Like my third post in this thread i said I EXPECT TO GET OUT OF IT WHAT I PUT INTO IT. I'm not putting shit into it. So i don't expect to get shit out. Why are you so hostile? Just leave my thread.

Thanks for actually giving me a straight answer man. The cfls need to be blue? Could you find those at a hardware store?
    What is your problem man? And if i am giving the plant organic nutrients wouldn't that mean compost... which is free and plentiful at my house? Like i said i know how to grow plants. I already have my dads mix of nutrient rich soil.

And what do you mean i should consider your advice? What advice have you given me? You have just attacked me and told me it won't work over and over. That isn't advice. Saying "OH YOU CANT DO THAT" doesn't help anyone.

And you grow good smoke? I doubt it. You obviously aren't chill at all man.

19. How on earth do you expect anybody to be able to read this?

20. To the OP... Do yourself a favor and learn how to read on your own. You said you spent time around here reading most of the stickies. Really? Then why are you having problems understanding even the most basic of concepts?

If you want to throw a plant in a box with some household bulb you saw at Home Depot and just "flip the switch" every 12 hours, knock yourself out!

Why does it take a useless thread such as this one to decide you want to go about growing weed the ghetto way?

You're an experienced gardener... What do you need our help for? Since we obviously have no clue what we're talking about?:rolleyes: