Can I give my seedling 12/12?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by New2growErik, Aug 14, 2018.

1. So I'm finishing up my first grow and I want to get a jump on next round of plants and I was wondering... If I plant now when they come up can I give my seedlings 12/12 light for a while just as the rest of my first batch are finishing up without making it flower? If so how long can I give that cycle before switching to 18/6 to veg. ?
    Thanks
    E

2. Many years ago I was taught that the best way to begin growing with regular seeds... to determine sex, and grow the most vibrant root systems without wasting more electricity than what is really needed is to start all regular seeds using a 12/12 light schedule. And you maintain that light schedule until the undetermined sexed plant shows the first sign of a developing male/female pre-flower, (you check each plant right before lights out for any developing male/female pre-flower(s)). And if you find one... and want to continue vegging using a 18/6 light schedule, you would give the plant that just showed you a developing male/female pre-flower, 6 hours of darkness, and then continue with a 18/6 veg light schedule, or if you wanted to continue vegging using a 24/0 veg light schedule, you would simply keep the lights on. And that simply works...and there are many benefits that go with using that method, and here are a few...

you will use less electricity to determine sex...
    an undetermined sexed female plant will continue vegging if you switch her light schedule to an appropriate vegging light schedule 24/0, 18/6, at the first sign of her developing a female pre-flower.
    an undetermined sexed male plant will continue to flower for up to 4 weeks even when you switch his light schedule to an appropriate vegging light schedule 24/0, 18/6, at the first sign of him developing a male pre-flower.

Now, you might be saying...you didn't say anything about using "regular seeds", and I know you didn't. But it doesn't matter if you are using "regular seeds" or "feminized seeds", as a female cannabis seedling / plant that is vegged under 12/12 until she fully develops a single female pre-flower will simply continue to veg if you switch her lighting schedule to an appropriate veg lighting schedule at the first signs of her showing a single female pre-flower.

3. Thank you so much for the response. :) They are non-feminized photopic seeds. (regular)
    I decided to go with hash plant, kings kush, God's Bud and I crossed a strong male blue knight (blueberry X kryptonite) with a purple Kush.
    Gonna grow some magenta knight?
    Chartreuse knight? Lol
    IDK But thanks, I'll germinate now. Good trick to not have to veg a male too.