Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can I get the benefits of mmj without getting high?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by orbweaver, Feb 28, 2014.

1. #1 orbweaver, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2014
    Last night was my first time using mmj for my joint pain. I did it before bedtime. I woke up refreshed, comfortable, and out of pain, and was able to even do some stretching and light exercise this morning (first time in ages). 

But wow, I was really high last night! It was okay because I was just laying in bed anyway, but this wouldn't be desirable if I had anything I had to actually do, or had to drive anywhere.

If my pain comes back later, I'm going to be reluctant to do any more mmj unless it's before bed, because most of the time, I don't want to be high during the day, I need to be able to drive and work and go about my business. 

Does the "high" eventually stop happening after you get used to it, and do you still get the pain relief benefits? Is there a way to consume my mmj without having a "high" or as much of one? 

Do topicals actually work for anyone? The delivery guy from my dispensary had a poor opinion of them.

Another question:

Do I have to do it *all the time*? Can I just do it when I need it? My autoimmune joint pain has flare ups. It isn't constant. I am thinking that I would probably just use my mmj during a flare up. 

2. You can try cooking edibles, the high is much different as THC is proccessed through your liver, its a much more body high.

If you know some people who vaporize you can ask for there AVB (already vaped bud) and try using that instead, most of the THC is gone from the plant

3. High CBD strains have more medicinal benefits 

Ive never had a CBD strain so I can't say whether or not they get you "high"

4. Yes. Tinctures, CBD infused edibles, lotions(topical), or even smoking a high cbd strain. you will barely get high.

5. I got this lotion that worked so great on my back.

6. Look into THC pills. Just recently found out these exist.

7. High CBD, low THC. not mostly THC

8. I used an indica strain. That's what was recommended by my evaluating doctor, for my specific problem. 

I'm still feeling some of the effects, over 12 hours later, without being "stoned" (warm sensation in my head, which is pleasant and not a problem, and pain relief). I bought some CBD dominant edibles too, I'll try those probably over the weekend. 

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to order some more stuff from another delivery service that offers cannibutter and lotion, and see how that goes. 

9. You will find that the more you smoke, the more you are to control your high. Cannabis will always get you high (if you are using it correctly) but once you can control the high mentally, you should be able to do things/daily errands without as much worry about being high.

Keep in mind, I can control the high no problem. But if a sativa strain gets my anxiety up, there is nothing I can do to get rid of the anxiety except to wait for the high to end. So you will always have to be careful.

Ointments are great. Tinctures are probably your best bet for trying to stay medicated throughout the day without being high. Tinctures are a hit or miss for people though. Some love it. Some get nothing out of it.

10. #10 Applerod, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2014
    If (after trial and error) you discover that CBD is responsible for most or all of the pain-relieving effects, minimize the THC consumption.  Try smoking high-CBD/low-THC strains and see how that works for you.  Since your intention is medical, you shouldn't have to "train" yourself to become accustomed to being stoned all the time: you may as well ask for an Rx for opiates if you're going that route.

11. More precisely, when shopping for a high CBD strain ideally you want something with a 2:1 ratio or higher of CBD:THC.

1:1 ratios still have a mild buzz, anything lower is still getting you high, it's just mellow.

Don't take people's word for these numbers, ask to see a lab test result.

I use high CBD strains on a regular basis, my favorites being Blueberry OG at 15% CBD, 7% THC, and Harlequin at 14% CBD, 7% THC.

12. #12 Storm Crow, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2014
    I have a another suggestion for you, besides using cannabidiol. (By the way, the blades are spot-on with that advice!  :yay: )  You can learn more about cannabidiol/ CBD at  "Project CBD". Just run a search for them.  CBD is pretty darn amazing stuff!

THC eases pain by activating the CB1 and CB2 receptors. Only the CB1s get you high, the CB2s are involved in just healing and anti-inflammatory actions- no high at all.  A "new" group of CB2 activators has been identified in magnolias, of all things! The three main ones are magnolol, honokiol and 4-O-methylhonokiol. If you run honokiol, through a search engine, you will find several places that sell it- even Puritan's Pride has it now, or try an herb shop, or big health food store. 

Honokiol, a low molecular weight natural product, prevents inflammatory response and cartilage matrix degradation in human osteoarthritis chondrocytes.              (abst – 2013)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24375705

Honokiol, a natural plant product, inhibits inflammatory signals and alleviates inflammatory arthritis.      (full – 2007)    http://www.jimmunol.org/content/179/2/753.long

Magnolia officinalis is a Traditional Chinese Medicine         (article – undated)  http://examine.com/supplements/Magnolia+officinalis/

MAGNOLIA BARK       (article – 2001)
    http://www.itmonline.org/arts/magnolia.htm

I would like to help you educate yourself further about cannabis and the endocannabinoid system.  All of those studies and articles are in my "Granny Storm Crow's List".  The List is comprised of over 1400 pages of links like those above and it is all related, one way or another to cannabis! 

There are sections on arthritis, inflammation, CBD, and even a mini-dictionary to help get you through those "Anti-nocice-whatsits" :confused_2:  that the scientists are so fond of!  To get your free PDF of my List, either check out the bottom of my sig and send me an email. Or when you get a few more posts and can use the PM system, you can PM me your email address. either way, I usually get it off to you within 24 hours.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Granny

13. I also have an autoimmune condition.  I take a high CBD olive oil capsule every night.  I like it because it's the right ratio for me (4.5mg CBD : 3mg THC : 1mg CBC), and while it does make me stoned a bit at night, that just helps me sleep, and the pain relief lasts through the next day.  I highly recommend edibles (including capsules) for pain relief.

14. Bump to high CBD recommendations.

Here's some food for thought:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_insider/2013/12/27/why_dui_limits_for_pot_are_bad.html

Here in CO we now have cannabis Dui laws. Believe it's five nanograms of THC in the bloodstream.

Medical users may unfortunately be put through wrongful persecution. As their tolerance increases, they will easily have higher than legal concentrations in the blood yet not be impaired. There's no factual evidence that at five nanograms an individual is impaired, it doesn't work the same as alcohol.

What would be interesting is to test out high CBD, low THC strains with blood testing after smoking. Test several at varied ratios, with the lowest being very very minimal THC. If conclusive it can be used as a guidance for medical users who must still drive themselves - medicate for your pain/illness without fear of persecution.

Of course if they dose heavy with THC on a regular basis it may still be over that nanogram limit the day after medicating. Hopefully that law gets adjusted based on lack of scientific grounds.

15. #15 orbweaver, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions, and especially to Storm Crow, for taking the time to respond about alternatives! I will check those out!

I think I am working out how to do this - I'm discovering that if I have my dose at or near bedtime (when I'm relaxing and winding down and don't need to be "functional"), I am totally lucid by morning, but my pain and stiffness are gone the rest of the day. I can probably even just have a puff every other night. 

And... for what it's worth... so far, I've had a couple of VERY good days. I notice that it isn't just that my pain is gone, but my daytime exhaustion and brain fog are gone since I started using the mmj at night. I'm actually more lucid during the day. Is this anyone else's experience?

(I have some autoimmune thing that hasn't yet been properly diagnosed. I have joint issues but also other stuff that's suggestive of fibro. I already had these issues, but after an auto accident in August, it all just got 200% worse.) 

16. Even if you do get high, what hurt is it going to do you. The extra euphoria never hurts, especially when you are dealing with pain or other serious medical conditions

• Like Like x 1
  17. #17 orbweaver, Mar 3, 2014

I don't have anything against people getting high, I've just usually got things to do during the day!  

Since that post, I'm figuring out a way to work it into my routine, since I seem to be getting medicinal results for about 18-20 hours, I can have my mmj at night when I'm winding down (typically laying in bed, listening to music). 

18. Fair enough orbweaver, but i find if i have stuff to do in the day and i smoke i dont smoke nearly as i do specifically for that reason you just posted.I smoke heavy indicas alot, and yes it is hard to motivate yourself to do your everyday things when you just wanna sit down i know haha. But it is possible, its just really really hard haha. Perhaps try a strong sativa if you need to be up and at em.

19. #19 orbweaver, Mar 3, 2014

I'm still experimenting with what works for me. The indica seems to really do the trick, and I like having it at night after a hot bath and with a warm cup of tea and some relaxing music. 

I am not really sure yet what sativa does for me. I did get some from my dispensary, and I took a puff of some earlier and was surprised how fast the "buzz" wore off. But yeah it didn't glue me to my chair/bed. I'm not sure if it has the same medicinal benefits for me though? We'll see? Not really sure I like how it makes me feel, either.

My massage therapist wants me to actually come in medicated tomorrow, so she can actually start doing deep tissue work on me (which she hasn't been able to, because I have tenderness issues similar to fibromyalgia). I'll probably use the indica but I'm probably going to do a little less of it and much earlier in the day so that I can at least walk to the car (don't worry, my mom's driving me).

20. There are plenty of sativa strains out there, and some has longer lasting effects. But that being said cannabis affects everyone differently, and it never hurts to ask the budtender at the dispensary for advice because they can recommend a strain purely on your symptoms. Oh and good for you for not driving impaired!