Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can I get some advice on how to photograph weed

Discussion in 'Marijuana Stash Box' started by Frank420, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Can I get some advice on how to photograph weed? Like specific things, lighting, lenses, background; all that good stuff. I have a pretty decent camera, 7 megapixels, but I can never seem to find the right balance of light and the camera can't focus when i get close enough to see the good stuff. Any ideas?
    Thanks for you time.
    -Frank

2. can ur change lenses? if so ull need a 14mm, 22mmm etc. or even better a macro lense.
    i use this link to help me find the perfect lenses for me shows all the brands and examples of every picture taken with that lense on flickr. hope this helps bro. (its only for canon)

Flickr: Discussing Canon EOS 5D Lenses in Canon EOS 5D Series

3. Set the camera to the icon with the flower, haha im not a big camera guy but that option seems to work well on mine. Best of luck :smoke:

4. Use natural daylight as your light source. And what kind of camera do you have?

5. true that, the flower option, which is called "close up" or something along those lines, just switch it to that, and if it doesnt take the picture it just means ur too close, meaning u need a smaller millimeter lense or not enough light, but flash solves that.

6. Its better to take photographs without flash, it distorts the image.

7. Look under options, and there is the flower, its called macro. Use that and get up close. Try natural lighting, or a light that doesen't glare.

8. Maybe I should do a tutorial.

Basicly this though, you needs lots of light so the photos don't blur from movement. Sunlight, or a close desk lamp.

Steady hands or a tripod.

Use the macro setting, or if its a DSLR camera then zoom in 55mm and hold the camera about 6" away from weed.

Have it on a plain background, a desk top or paper works good.

Just experiments, especially with closeness to the bud because most cameras differ in how close up they can focus. What camera model do you have?

9. Thanks for advice man, and ya you should definatley do a tutorial. That would be truly amazing. To my knowledge there are no pot photography tutorials on here or at least no specific listing of tools and ideas.

10. From the pictures i've taken, it seems like almost always flash messes up the actual image.
    I've read everywhere that its all about lighting, and that natural day light is the absolute best way to end up with good pictures.

11. In my experience, there's a LOT more to macro than just getting close up but I think the majority on here just want to know how to get close and clear pics of weed, nothing else lol. which is why I havent bothered to do a tut.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Any supplemental light you can add will help, putting a desk light really close is an easy way. Don't bother with the flash though, the image feels flatter and less textured since the light is coming from the same direction as the camera. If the light is something other then daylight then select the whitebalance in your camera to match the type, most cameras default to auto whitebalance but it doesn't work very well.

Use a tripod because you will probably need too long of an exposure to get a good handheld shot without any camera shake. Any shake has a great effect on picture quality because of how close you are to the subject. If you don't have a tripod, prop the camera up on something solid and set the timer so that you aren't touching it when it takes the shot.

Use manual focus and set the focus as close as possible. Then move the camera or the bud untill the part you want comes into focus. If you have an optical zoom, try different zoom settings (ie. different focal lengths) because the lens will be able to focus closer at some settings then others.

13. Thanks for your advice everyone. My camera is: Canon EOS Rebel XT Digital. With 15-55 mm lense.