Can I FIM?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by GOLDENBOY, Nov 22, 2013.

1. #1 GOLDENBOY, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2013
    Sould I fim yet or not? 20 some day old plants 1385076988253.jpg

2. You can, but I think what you're asking is whether or not you SHOULD, to which no one could really tell you without knowing the phase this plant is in, what kind of grow area you're working with, what your goals are, etc.

3. #3 GOLDENBOY, Nov 22, 2013
    [quote name="Cracks" post="19024079" timestamp="1385077975"]You can, but I think what you're asking is whether or not you SHOULD, to which no one could really tell you without knowing the phase this plant is in, what kind of grow area you're working with, what your goals are, etc.[/quote]I have a 4.5'x4.5'x7.5' grow tent with a 400 watt veg hps will be flowering on a 1000 watt hps. Plants will veg in a 7 gallon pots. Plants are 20 some days old

4. I would probably wait for a few more shoots to come out and then FIM or top it once it's about half the height I expect it to be in the peak of its flowering phase. It looks like you grew this from a seed so I'm going to assume this plant is going to get really tall really fast unless properly trained. Another important thing to consider is that because you're using a 1000 watt HPS, you need to account for distance between the light and the plant, which should be at least 18" to avoid heat stress. Other than that your plant looks pretty promising. Good luck!

5. #5 GOLDENBOY, Nov 22, 2013
    [quote name="Cracks" post="19024297" timestamp="1385080472"]I would probably wait for a few more shoots to come out and then FIM or top it once it's about half the height I expect it to be in the peak of its flowering phase. It looks like you grew this from a seed so I'm going to assume this plant is going to get really tall really fast unless properly trained. Another important thing to consider is that because you're using a 1000 watt HPS, you need to account for distance between the light and the plant, which should be at least 18" to avoid heat stress. Other than that your plant looks pretty promising. Good luck![/quote]Thanks. I have 5 all together. Yes they are from seed, I forgot to put that on there. I might do some LSTing. But thats not really my thing.. puff puff pass, thats no microphone your speaking into!!

6. Should I start LSTing if I decide to do so? They are in 1 gallon pot now

puff puff pass, thats no microphone your speaking into!!

7. Personally I don't LST because my grow area is adequate enough to maintain naturally grown trees. I think your tent should be big enough for your trees as well, but if you don't mind experimenting you can give it a shot. Keep in mind that it'll get tricky once the foliage from the other trees covers your LST'd ones.

8. #8 GOLDENBOY, Nov 22, 2013
    [quote name="Cracks" post="19024623" timestamp="1385083690"]Personally I don't LST because my grow area is adequate enough to maintain naturally grown trees. I think your tent should be big enough for your trees as well, but if you don't mind experimenting you can give it a shot. Keep in mind that it'll get tricky once the foliage from the other trees covers your LST'd ones.[/quote]Im really not into LSTing either. It just popped in my head. It just seems to be to much work for me. I can only let my plants get 4.5' high puff puff pass, thats no microphone your speaking into!!

9. What do meen by going to get very tall very fast unless I train them?

10. Lst is a MUST to maximize your space and potential of the plant.

Sent from my NSA recording device.

11. Ill have to read up on it more. Would I transfer them to the biggest pot 1st? Because the one im using now is small

12. Actually I gave it another thought, and this is right. In your case, you would have to LST to prevent your trees from getting taller than your tent will allow. What I meant by training was fimming and topping to prevent excessive vertical growth, but without LST you might end up with a lot of underdeveloped buds at the bottom of your trees towards the end of the flowering phase even if you double-top your trees. Sorry about my earlier answer. I'm stupid.

13. I usually start training when they're in smaller pots but it makes transplanting more a pita.
    You need to ask yourself a couple questions first:
    1) How far does my light penetrate? (This will tell you how tall you can grow them and still maximize they're potential)
    2) Do I want few but bigger colas or many smaller colas making for more weight but less bud size.
    3) How long do I want to veg for? Topping/fiming is great for bushing out plants but will add about 2 weeks to your veg time, while proper lst may not spread the plant out quite as much it will definitely make for a shorter veg time.
    4) Do I really want to spend to time to properly lst? During veg you may spend upwards of 2 hours a day training all your plants exactly how you want them. (depending how many plants your growing of course, 1 plant won't be too bad but keeping up with 30 is a whole different ball game)

14. Not stupid, sometimes it's hard to keep in mind that not everyone grows the same way, in the same space ;)

15. Those are all very good questions for me. I ll tell you what I had plan on doing. I was going to take my tomatoe cages and train them around that to spread the colas out. I done it before outside in my buckets. I want to use maximum space for my grow but not sure if I have enough time to lst them nor do I really want to.

16. So in your case I would top around the 5th node and then train the lower branches out to your tomato planter, then supercrop to keep height even during stretch.

17. Where this is my 1st indoor grow im still up in the air about everything. I know the days are counting on what I have to do. Thanks for all your help. Im going to check your grows tomorrow to see what you do all. Maybe I should just bit the bullet and lst.. THIS IS SOOO HARD!!!

18. I can buy myself a scrog screen that is make for my tent would a scrog screen be something that would work better?

19. And after seeing your grow stumpie I think I'm going to do a transfer to my biggest pot. By the time they recover ill know what I'm doing. This way if I lst I can do it easley

20. Sounds like a plan. I'll throw up some pics of my last indoor grow, I just gotta dig out the pics.