can I feed sugar to my plants?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jasem, Feb 1, 2019.

1. So I saw this grower friend of mine tonight. The dude told me he gives his plants sugar/water when his plants are in flowering till two weeks before flushing. And it apparently effects the bud growth significantly.
    he also adds fruit essence powder to the water and tells me it makes the buds develop a fruity taste.
    I asked him for the dosage of sugar that he mixes in water, told me as much as he could dissolve in water.
    has any of you done this?
    I am thinking of doing this.
    Any advice?

2. My friends claimed they used sugar water during flowering, and let me tell you that was some of the fruitiest, sweetest bud I ever had. I don't know from personal experience, but by word of mouth, I would say yes.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Makes sense. Sugar is a carbohydrate. The plant eats carbs to help with photosynthesis to grow. More food = bigger buds.

Good organic soil contains mychorrizae, micro-organisms that benefit the plant by helping the roots absorb nutrients. Like yeasts, mychorrizae like sugars.

I use molasses. I've heard another good source is unsweetened pineapple juice at a couple oz per gallon.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Oh my lord... DO NOT feed ur plants sugar water or fruits essence...
    Every individual strain have a unique terpene profile that’s very delicate so why try and disturb it? Your risking your crop’s true flavor. Try some Terpinator instead. Table sugars likely to bring in the pests and possibly some fungi. I’m sure the ants are already planning to attack ur garden as we speak.
    Even molasses is pointless and likely to bring pests to if used on its own. Only time molasses comes in handy is in a compost tea.
    Molasses is a HUGE misconception in the industry (for individual growers) the big company’s know better by now. Hopefully you guys will catch on to...
    As for the pineapple juice try leaving a glass on ur counter for a few days and see how much mold grows. The article’s you guys are reading these from has no scientific explanation being pouring pineapple juice on ur plants. Is there even a recommended brand? Some could contain 100 grams of sugar while another could only have 10 grams. There’s just not enough data to risk it man... just grow some weed like the rest of us.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 5
  5. Hi Dead Head. I'm not refuting what you said because I only have a little more than a year of personal knowledge under my belt but, I checked out Terpinator and my inquiring mind has to wonder...

Other than Potassium, they tell you it has "naturally occurring compounds" in it. That's a pretty broad statement as it is but, couldn't that be referring to the naturally occurring sugars of any of several sweet plant extracts or any combination of them they use in their recipe?

From what they say on their site about the interaction of potassium, it sounds to me like potassium helps the plant uptake the sugars in their product by helping to activate the symbiotic relationship between the roots and the mychorrizae.

"Potassium activates enzymes by prompting conformational changes in the enzyme protein. These changes increase the rate of catalytic reactions, and also can increase the affinity of the enzyme for its substrate. For example, the enzyme starch synthase catalyzes the transfer of glucose to starch molecules. Potassium is the most effective univalent cation to increase the enzymes activity."

To me, this suggests we could just add potassium when giving black strap molasses and get the same result. The only thing we don't know is the ratios they use.

• Like Like x 1
  6. lol @SativaBleu here we go again!!

Do not feed your plants sugar for the love of god!! Lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Terpinator is some good shit!! It works.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Ok... so what's in Terpinator?

9. Glucose is sugar... they mention it on their website.

10. Thank you! saved me So much time.

11. I used molasses... The artical promotes its use. Are you just arguing not to use sugar water?

12. What you mean can you. Its a must do
    I give my girls sugar once every month and they love it

• Like Like x 2
  13. Yes read the very end. The plants create their own sugars. Raw cane sugar can’t be taken in by the plant.

Do not put sugar in water and then feed it to your plants.

I do promote using products like terpinator, Astrod flower and things in bottles made specifically for cannabis. That shit works and works well. Just my experience.

I’m not going to spend too much time with this as it is like my biggest pet peeve when people condone putting sugar in water and feeding with it. Shit aggravates me to no end lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. shut up!!! Stop this nonsense!!

15. little sugar dont hurt nobody bro
    its a treat for them for being a good girl

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. ya ya ya. Bahahahahaha

Just show get it over with and show everyone your ladies.

17. Lol, sorry man...

Directly at the end. Yep, it does say the plant can naturally create it's own sugar but...

"Any products that work to improve the absorption of nutrients or that directly encourage the production of chlorophyll are highly suitable and to naturally increase the quantity of sugars in the plants metabolism.

The contribution of sugars or carbohydrates can be made using a variety of different products that we stock in Alchimia Grow Shop."

They don't say those carbs can't be increased and then, they have blackstrap molasses among those listed.

So, you're saying not to use it?

18. I showed enough. Dont want to make you salivate anymore bro

19. It’s all good! Black strap is debated too. It along with sugar can create a sludge in your pot that becomes sticky and will
    Cut off oxygen to the root system. Just not something I’m willing to risk. People will swear by it. But I’m a strong no on it! Not when I can get stuff bottled specifically for cannabis. Even when I use super soil or soils I’ve mixed and creates for water only the
    Only bottled products I use are bud boosters/sweeteners like terpinator.

• Like Like x 1