Can i cut my buds early?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Klog80, Sep 18, 2012.

1. my plan is to cut them early, keep the stem in water and sunlight for the remaining three-four days of flowering, its just getting too cold and im really pushing it. would this allow the plants to still flower? because i heard you can keep them alive for up to a week in ideal conditions.

2. [quote name='"Klog80"']my plan is to cut them early, keep the stem in water and sunlight for the remaining three-four days of flowering, its just getting too cold and im really pushing it. would this allow the plants to still flower? because i heard you can keep them alive for up to a week in ideal conditions.[/quote]

No that will not work. That can work if u wanted to take a clone. But your plant will not keep flowering in a cup of water. What are u temps at night that have u worried. Also if your pulling early 3-4 days wont make a difference.

3. The won't produce much if any weight, but they will continue to ripen. I've done this many, many times myself, and even just recommended the practice to another grower in a thread a few days ago (in her case it was a concern of rippers, where she caught a man in her yard trying to evade the police). It can also be a good way of providing a day or two of darkness to an early individual indoor plant or strain taken from a multi-strain room, without effecting the others, to speed up ripening just before you begin trimming.

It's usually safe for up to a week or two with light, if the ventilation is good, your plants will live and mature if you watch their trichomes, but again the flowers will not really add much weight during this time.

4. two contradicting opinions, yours is longer, i like it. and i also read that story, that man stole the kids bike. lol.
    ALSO: my temps are reaching 37 AT THE LOWEST, and near 65-70 in the day. i may just have to let them mature more this way, but still, lack of magnesium in my plant causes holes. and its not a tent op, its in a pot and gets natural daylight, non nutrient water (rain water, low ph) and actually i guess sometimes ill throw some bloom stuff in there

5. [quote name='"Klog80"']

two contradicting opinions, yours is longer, i like it. and i also read that story, that man stole the kids bike. lol.
    ALSO: my temps are reaching 37 AT THE LOWEST, and near 65-70 in the day. i may just have to let them mature more this way, but still, lack of magnesium in my plant causes holes. and its not a tent op, its in a pot and gets natural daylight, non nutrient water (rain water, low ph) and actually i guess sometimes ill throw some bloom stuff in there[/quote]

A plant will not ripen In water. It will use all it's energy in trying to make new roots to survive and spot producing bud. If u cut it early 2-4 days in a window won't do anything. 37 is not to cold either. I would just leave it out. Is it in you back yard or guerilla. I was going to suggest bring it in at night.

6. The first time I did this was at least fifteen years ago, if not longer, and I repeat it several times a year.

They certainly do ripen when cut in water this way, and this is coming from very nearly two decades of watching trichomes mature under a microscope and in macro photos! :smoke:

My earliest sample nugs are also flushed in distilled water this way, via cut stems, and continue to ripen during the process. :)

7. this is also my first grow, with bag seed. and im not posting pictures because its frankly embarrassing with my plants height and probable bud yield. and what do you mean when you flush it in distilled water? and if thats not too cold what is? its in guerilla but receives 8 hours or so of sunlight at this point, its naturally budding. a little under 2 weeks in, its only going to get colder. so i still may have to cut the buds off later and let it develop. i guess ill basically just run the thing till she cant take the cold weather. also ive heard that switching from natural to artificial light can be bad for the bud? (i would be doing this after cutting the buds and soaking the stems)

8. That's wonderful to hear kitty and i'll most definitely be trying it in a week or two when the next one is ready. Being the noob i am, i hadn't thought about the autos finishing before the photoperiod plants and already cut one while "needing" to skip the 2 days of dark. It seems every day or 2 i run across something you post that gets put into my "What to do next time" file.

Sorry I have nothing to add for you OP, except Good luck

9. [quote name='"BadKittySmiles"']

The first time I did this was at least fifteen years ago, if not longer, and I repeat it several times a year.

They certainly do ripen when cut in water this way, and this is coming from very nearly two decades of watching trichomes mature under a microscope and in macro photos! :smoke:

My earliest sample nugs are also flushed in distilled water this way, via cut stems, and continue to ripen during the process. :)[/quote]

So are u talking fully ready to be harvested buds. I am thinking of a plant that's picked early and trying to finish it. I am not doubting u I have seen your stuff on here.

10. then in about 4 weeks ill cut them off. i know the last 2 weeks are great for getting big and dense, so i might let this happen, and ripen them in water and sunlight, thanks!