Can I be giving my plants Too much air

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by jb1128, Apr 11, 2013.

1. About 5 days before my PH problem I replaced my air pump with a bigger one,the first one was a pump for a 20 gallon fish tank,it had one outlet so I connected it to an air stone the 3/4th an inch wide by 11 inches long,the one I replaced it with was for up to 100 gallon tank,it has two outlets so I hooked up the 11 inch stone to one outlet and bought another of the same stones and hooked it up to the second outlet..............can that be causeing my problem,, not to mention, I just went back to the smaller air pump and single stone....and is this mean anything?,when removing the stones from the tank one of them felt a little slimy but not all that bad,after being out of the water for not even 2 minets it didnot feel slimey anymore!!!!!!

2. That slime on the stones is bacteria and if it builds on the roots it will strangle them out. The answer to your question is no you can not use too much air. I am assuming this is dwc you are referring to.

3. No bizie it's not DWC,my system is a top drip recurculating system with bato buckets coco over clay pellets....

4. Jb it sounds like you are doing more harm than good by persistently tampering with its environment. Remember, plants have everything they need to grow and fend off infection if raised the proper way.

To address your concern: I had the slime issue and I don't think it is an issue at all. It is bacteria and they're normal flora/fauna. I also upgraded to the same air stone you described and had no issues. The plant doesn't know...but just leave it alone. I leave mine alone every weekend, I just adjust pH down to 5.2, make sure there's enough water and keep the lights up and away. I come back Sunday night and about shit myself every time. It's unreal how fast they can get if they have some consistency and relaxation. Stress is okay, but I like seeing my plant nearly double in size from Friday to Sunday. And the pH is damn near 7.0 by that time so just let it drift through and learn how to cope...you'll be extremely satisfied.