Can I attach an external disc drive to my laptop?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by DaComeUpCat, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Here's the deal, I have a Compaq Evo N410c. If you check the specs online, you will see that it does not have a disc drive. This really blows.

I also have two xbox 360s, one is the new slim (250 gb) and the other is an Elite with a BenQ disc drive. My question is this, is there any way I can attach this BenQ disc drive to my Compaq laptop???

If so how can I do it? How easy/difficult would it be? Would the trouble I have to go through be worth it?

Thanks in advance.

2. How does it connect to your xbox? It would have to be powered by USB.

3. So you're saying all I have to do is connect it to my laptop via USB??

That seems a little too easy but I do have an open USB port.

4. I have no idea what the 360's dvd drive uses, but I'm pretty sure it uses the current SATA adapters. It's also possible that it uses it's own proprietary adapter.

If it's SATA, you can get a SATA-USB adapter and plug it in that way. You may need an extra power outlet though depending (In case you're wanting to use it on the go). It may not be compatible with your hardware though, because you've got an older laptop that still uses IDE (PATA).

Honestly, it would be much easier to set up a local network in your house and transfer files from a computer you have that does have a drive. Or if you absolutely need a disc drive, go and buy one from Best Buy or something, they aren't expensive at all these days.

5. I'm not entirely sure if it will just work on your laptop.

Try searching for some of the drive flashing tutorials on Se7ensins.com, that might get you started.

6. #6 FalconFour, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2010
    I don't understand why you're looking to your Xbox for a DVD drive for your laptop... you're talking about just being a general-purpose optical drive, right? Not like, tweaking with Xbox shit? There's absolutely no reason to go through the trouble of de-coupling your 360's DVD drive from its motherboard just to use it as a general purpose drive... oh, and DOOOOO NOT SWAP DRIVES IN 360s!! The drive the 360 came with is the drive it must live with forever, unless you want to get into EEPROM/JTAG hacking shit...

Just go to newegg and buy a cheapass USB optical drive. Or get a drive and a case. Or a drive and a USB-SATA adapter. Your choice. There's about a million ways to get an optical drive plugged in via USB. USB is Universal Serial Bus for a reason...

edit: also, the 360's drive uses a standard SATA plug, but a non-standard power connector, and you'd need to burn out another $30-40 on the adapter for the power as well as a SATA-USB adapter. Totally not worth it.

7. #7 DaComeUpCat, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2010
    Thanks for all the help guys, really. It's much appreciated.

Oh ok, I see what you guys are saying. Even if the BenQ disc drive was compatible, I'd still need another adapter for the power.

Thanks a lot for the help man.

Alright man, I'll check it out. Thanks a ton dude.

Well I have two 360s and one of them has the RRoD. So I wanted to see if I could have gotten any use out of it by attaching the RRoD-360's disc drive to my laptop since it doesn't have one. So I'm just being really cheap tryin to save a buck. lol And I ain't no hacker man, I'm not trying to get banned from LIVE!!

But I see what you're saying though, the 360 disc drive would require another adapter for the power. I got ya.

The help is much appreciated man.

8. you can buy an external at best buy for like 30 dollars. Why waste your time with something I don't even think would work?