Can environment conditions be adjusted to reduce stretching ?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by xerb, Dec 16, 2018.

1. I showed him the bed of perlite trick. He waters the little bag to total saturation, and then lets it wick more. They drink a lot. Could be where he learned the tech (Dubi), its a Landrace Sativa. Removes bag at transplant, sometimes he lets them go quite long in the little bag, 4-6 weeks at the extreme. I am not sure what he has decided is the 'sweet time' for the mini bag. We talk more about worms and compost than actually growin grass.
    cheers
    os

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Genetics has a lot to do with stretch and 100% Sativa, especially the long flower times, are notorious for it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. #23 Sirtootsalot, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    I hear you, however sativa Genetics only means it's more prone to stretching. With the length hes getting between nodes it leads me to believe theres something more than just genetic factors causing his issue. That having been said, without pictures or being there, it's all speculation.

4. Depends on the strain. Breeders today specifically cross sativas with short flowering indicas to not only produce more compact plants but to also shorten overall flowering times. If this is a landrace or old-school sativa then yes you should expect x4 or more stretch from when you start 12/12.

5. I respectfully disagree.
    With an old-school haze from the 90's there is no way it wont stretch like crazy unless action is taken specifically to try and inhibit it, and even then you will still get a good amount of stretch from these strains, even with optimal lighting and growing conditions. The reason you dont see this kind of stretch in many of todays genetics is because breeders put a lot of effort into specifically reducing stretch and flower times.

Just try and grow a landrace sativa or landrace cross and you will see what I mean.

To give you an idea, here are some pics from a Panama grow I did, mind you panama isnt even considered a stretchy strain by sativa standards and has a relatively short flower time at 9-12 weeks.

Here they are on the day I flipped lights to 12/12, these are rooted clones that got only 2-3 days of veg before flipping, they were about 15cm (6 inch) tall.
    p1.jpg P2.jpg

At day 25 they were over 2 feet tall and I had to bend and train them so they wont grow into the lights.
    p25.jpg

Typical for pure sativa, they never really stop stretching, this is a pic from day 60ish, all the stretch you see in this photo was from the last days before taking it.
    p60.jpg
    One of the plants at harvest, from a 6" clone to this. Mind you, you dont even see the full size of the plant in this pic.
    p99.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Just a thought. I'll slow the stretch sometimes by topping right at the flip to 12/12. Makes the plant concentrate it's growth to the sides.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

7. I don't really feel like we're disagreeing , I agree that sativas genetically stretch, but did you read that he was getting 18 inches between internodes? That is why I say it's not genetics. I've grown plenty of landrace sativas and I've never seen a foot and a half between nodes on a sativa that was getting enough light and wasn't suffering from heat. Problems flowering, sure. Problems with stretch, sure. But from 6 in to 18 in in 2 days seems excessive which is why I point to other factors.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I have an overall stretching question. If it derails the original topic I will take it else where happily.
    I typically see obscene stretch when lights are too high. I have always tried to keep the lights as close as possible, as many lumens as possible, without hurting anything, and tried to keep the leaf temp at 80 ish.
    So basically bright and warm.
    Do you folks think that less lumens, reduces stretch at the same time it reduces overall growth? For me it just makes leggy plants doing this. I have to add that this is based on observations using led's of all different types, but not HID or flouro.
    Just curious.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 1
  9. For sure genetics have whole lot to do with it. I brought a bunch of seeds back from jamaica last year and grew a bunch, since they are naturally pollinated there's no way of knowing who the daddy's are but they all came from the same bud, all grown in the same conditions i had some that grew with easily 12 inches between the nodes, barely any leaves and huge stalks...they looked like males, and others were almost as squat as a typical indica.

10. OK i may have missed the 18inch internodes, then again I wouldnt be surprised if there are plants that just stretch like that, consider also males will stretch even more then females.
    But you are right light does play a role in plant growth, would be interesting to see how this plant would preform under the sun.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I've heard that excess red light during the stretch can make for a taller plant. More blue spectrum can keep them compact. Pretty sure it was bohdi on an episode of the pot cast.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  12. All is good, I had a feeling that might have been the case. I totally agree, males could definitely do that. Sativas, especially males, are genetically programmed to get up over the plant canopy to ensure procreation. Makes sense when you think about it.
    Dig the video, that's a real cool experiment thanks for sharing. I've always had a suspicion that if you target spectrums you're gonna lose out on growth, but it seems theres even more to it than I thought.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Hello Guys, I will try the smaller pot to limit growth initially. I am sure growing from a clone will slow them down as well. I appreciate all your feedback.

This is not my first rodeo guys. My light intensity is high. 3 1000W lamps in a 10x12 area, 2 HPS and 1 MH.
    Night time temps are hi 60s, daytime temp within 2 hours of "lights on" is about 75, peaks at about 80.
    Would raising the night time temp really help?

My girlfriend likes Super Silver Haze, all planted the same time as the Haze, 4 out of 5 are nearly identical (one is a runt) and are just over 4 foot with. At 31 days since the 12/12 switch, they have fat buds and have been sugared up for a week. The internode spacing looks to be about 4 inches,they don't appear to have stretched much in the last couple weeks. All four of the NL x H crosses are between 6 and 7 foot and just starting to bud.

The pure Haze plants would have already been 12 foot if put outside in the summer at the 12/12 switch.
    Purely genetics my friends.

4 seeds left....I think a big greenhouse is a swell idea. Get them as big as possible inside, then plant them out, but be able to cover them in the late fall, November, December, January....A heated bed may be in order...

14. I do have a few pictures but I cant get them off my phone, it tells me to update my software and then asks for a password. I can't figure out how to log in or change the password. Eerrrrr

By the way, the leaves on these Haze seedlings where HUGE and FAT leaved. I know many sativas have skinny leaves (especially from clone), but these guys were unfolding solar sails!
    The NL x H plants have a much more typical growth / leaf pattern.

15. OK. Thanks guys. These ideas were presented to tame these huge Haze plants.
    1) start plants in 1 gallon pots - leave in these tiny pots for 30 days into 12/12 switch
    2) increase night time temp to average day time temps - about 75 degrees

A couple of things I wonder about...
    1) should I have gone immediately to 11/13 light cycle to force the onset of flowering?
    I usually do this later in the flower cycle.
    2) perhaps vegging even longer to force development of secondary branching - my reasoning is
    that if the new growth was spread over many branches it might not have gotten so tall.

I currently have 4 1990 NL5 x Haze F2 plants 38 days into the 12/12 switch which are 6-7 foot tall.
    They look way more sativa like than any of the other sativa strains I have going. Their internode lengths are running between 6 and 8 inches, with very whispy buds.
    Its roommates are all in full bloom with fat buds and have topped out at about 3.5 - 5 feet tall. They all look like indicas compared to the NLxH.

Ordered a new camera - pictures coming soon!

16. Can't wait to see, the seeds i grew from jamaica were the oddest plants i've ever seen, the guy who grew the weed said they never use seeds from buds, i now see why, so much genetic diversity. Some plants looked great but tasted like shit, others tasted great but didnt really get you high, the one i kept sounds a whole lot like what your describing....the only way i flower her ''correctly'' is to place newly rooted clones directly into 11/13 in a 5 gallon smart pot and let her grow one huge bud. The high is so weird, motivated but unorganized.

17. IME the longer you veg the bigger the plant will get in flower.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. #39 xerb, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Thanks for all the good ideas guys!

Just found an old post from one of my heros, passing it on here...
    I am planning on upgrading one of my bulbs to a dual 315 CMH for the added spectrum.
    I wonder if the near red / ultra violet rays have better canopy penetration?
    I have heard that UV will penetrate aluminum foil.....

Who makes the most reliable ballasts for these 315 CMH bulbs?
    The strain that I grow is very saliva-dominant and can get really stretchy if you don't watch things. The CMH bulbs performed as I thought that they would given the spectrum - very tight internodes and using kelp meal tea as a foliar spray every few days, I can keep some level of control on the bolt that we usually see in the first couple of weeks in the 12 hour cycle. At least on this strain - YMMV

LD

19. Ballasts - LD to the rescue again.

P.L. Light Systems