Can anyone recommend any good base nutes for flowering?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ogderp, Sep 6, 2012.

1. I Have 3 plants growing outdoors right now, and earlier this week I bought a bottle of big bud to increase my yield, not knowing it was just an additive. I haven't given them any nutrients at all, until I started giving them big bud. Someone said on another post to use sensi bloom ph perfect, but no hydro stores around me sell it. I've also heard that AN isn't the best brand of nutes to buy. Are there any other base nutes that I could buy that won't give me any problems with ph, and work well with big bud?

2. AN is good stuff but due to the cost I wouldnt use it outdoors, kinda pricey compaired to many other brands organic and chemical based nutes. Right now I`m try Age Old bloom nutes outdoors.

3. Thanks, I'll look into that. It hasn't given you any problems with your ph?

4. #4 Jellyman, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2012
    Growing outdoors, I think it's better to use the original base fertilizers that the liquid ones you're speaking of are made from; at least, what some of the better ones are made from. If you make a nutrient solution and pour it into the ground, it wicks into nearby soil all around the plant. When you water or when it rains, the water dilutes the solution and causes it to wick a second time, even further away from the plants. They end up with a very dilute helping of that fertilizer actually reaching their roots. If you mix the base fertilizer itself into the ground, it stays where it is; right next to the plants' roots. Then when the plants get water, it makes a fresh nutrient solution that is more concentrated and not as far from the roots as the premixed solution would have been when the watering arrived. Each successive watering makes more fresh nutrient solution and each time it is created right next to the plants' roots. The original solid ferts end up feeding for a good long time.

So, look for the original solid ferts to use on your outdoor plants. Some of the best ferts in the world include Bat & Seabird Guanos, Bone Meal, Blood Meal and Kelp Meal. The pH values will vary with specific ingredients and from company to company. If you find that the example you got of one of the above ferts has an imperfect pH, just use it with another one of opposite pH value so the pH ends up evening out nicely. Bone meal is often slightly alkaline but it depends on what kind of bones were used and as it is slow acting, it doesn't have a strong effect on soil pH. It also helps to buffer soil against pH fluctuations in the same way that lime does. Kelp Meal and Blood Meal are mildly acidic and one or both would make a great fertilizer mix when used with Bone Meal. There are many types of Guanos that range from acidic to alkaline. Any untried Guano should be tested before use. It's certainly possible to find one high-N Guano and one high-P Guano with one being acidic and the other being alkaline so that the two make the perfect mix together.

If you have trouble finding good ferts, separately Google "Nursery" "Garden Center" and "Hydroponic", each with your zip code next to it in the search field. Click on the little map and call the closest and best rated stores. Some will even sell the previously mentioned fertilizers in bulk for a couple bucks per pound. This lets you pay for only what you currently need, if you so desire, and also gives you the chance to test samples before buying larger quantities.

5. [quote name='"tplat"']

AN is good stuff but due to the cost I wouldnt use it outdoors, kinda pricey compaired to many other brands organic and chemical based nutes. Right now I`m try Age Old bloom nutes outdoors.[/quote]

Agreed love it for indoor. To expensive for outdoor. Look into maxsea

http://www.maxsea-plant-food.com/
    It's the shit with some molasses and that is all u need. Check out some of my pics for proof.

6. That stuff looks awesome. It didn't cause any ph problems either?

7. [quote name='"ogderp"']That stuff looks awesome. It didn't cause any ph problems either?[/quote]

I don't ph anything.

8. #8 Sgtstadanko707, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2012
    Here is a little taste. It also takes a quality soil but that is about it.

Attached Files:

9. Wow those are fuckin huge trees man! Thanks, I'm definitely gonna go look for this stuff.

10. I dont PH my outdor plants, thier in the ground with a few natural additives added to help with PH.