Can anyone help give me some ideas on fans for my new growbox?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Strages, Feb 4, 2012.

1. I'm currently building a box, it's an old 4 drawer dresser. (pics soon when it's finished! :hello: )

I need some small fan ideas. I would love to attach it to a carbon filter, I'll probably be making the pencil cup filter.

I have no idea where to even start with fans, besides pc ones, which I don't feel like wiring, nor do I feel is strong enough. I will be having roughly 8-10 cfls 6500's and 2700's.

Now if I could stop adhd'ing out and smoke this bowl and go finish the dresser like I planned... :smoke:

2. I actually buy the cheapest ones I can find on newegg. Last ones I got were (I think) masscool 60mm...They were about 1$ each, I bought a dozen. I've found that if I build the ducting/filter really well, and make it very free flowing, then I can get away with using crappy fans. I can use one of those fans with the pencil style filter and cool about 50w of cfls. It's all in the positioning of the fans to efficiently suck the heat out.

If you look through some of my micro cabs in my sig, most of those are cooled with those cheapo fans I mentioned.

Also fan cfm is gonna directly be related to how much power they use...which in turn dictates how loud they are. IME you're better off trying to muffle the sound of the fan by placing the filter over it rather then trying to find a quiet, high cfm fan. I don't read too much into the manufacturer's claims of cfm vs. db and such since there's really no standard testing method for checking them....you just kinda have to believe what they tell you.

There are a few fan out there that come with automated spped controllers built in that will speed up the fan at higher temps and slow it down or stop it at lower temps in order to compensate and keep temps balanced. I think scythe makes one version.

There's also some really cool blower fans available which can work really well in the right cab, but they can be noisy. They have a cool feature of turning your airflow 90degrees which can be helpful to save room sometimes.

locally radioshck and bestbuy are the only places I know of to get pc fans...so I order mine of newegg...and I always get a few backups cuz I always end up needing them :)

3. Yeah, I want a nice one.