Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can anyone give me advice?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by DDV, Oct 16, 2012.

1. So my sister wants to get her MMJ card, for her anxiety, but the reason she hasn't gotten it yet is because she is going to court soon for custody of her kids, and she's afraid it'll somehow show up and affect the case negatively. Is this true? She lives in california by the way..

Any help will be much appreciated.

2. Maybe? If the fathers lawyers find out they could say that the kids being in a non drug free environment can be detrimental to their health mentally and physically. So IMHO I wouldn't take the chance until this has been resolved... UNLESS her anxiety is so bad it interferes with her normal day life than it's just a matter of what's important to her. I hope nothing I said offended you but just trying to help another blade out!

Good luck to your sis.

3. [quote name='"Fritter"']Maybe? If the fathers lawyers find out they could say that the kids being in a non drug free environment can be detrimental to their health mentally and physically. So IMHO I wouldn't take the chance until this has been resolved... UNLESS her anxiety is so bad it interferes with her normal day life than it's just a matter of what's important to her. I hope nothing I said offended you but just trying to help another blade out!

Good luck to your sis.[/quote]

thanks man.. I was kinda hoping this wouldn't be the case.

Wildwill, where you at man?

4. And this is why we need a mention system... @WildWill and he's here..
    I'm not sure tho. It seems like it would be just like prescription medication, and I don't think they can use that against you. How long is it gonna be? To be safe I would just tough it out

5. It can and most likely will affect the case. She would need to get a marijuana friendly judge. People get their kids taken away all the time because they smoke even when they have a card. I've read the news stories on it.

6. It's just a doctors recc, nobody else would know she had it.

7. Hey Guys,

I am personally going to court Thursday on a divorce with custody issues also. I was honest with my lawyer (I use for medical) and she advised no THC in your system at all. In family cases it is almost assured the judge will do drug testing on both parents. Most judges will shy away from the user if there is a non user for the children to stay with. They can refuse custody over health issues no matter what medicine you take ie pain pills, ect....and no matter what the health issues are. This was a really tuff one for me but ALWAYS has to be about the children.

Good luck with your choice but there is only one way to no for sure.....be clean

Budy

8. Good stuff Budy!!

Yeah even though it is for medicinal purposes marijuana is still a illicit drug in the eyes of a judge. Also smoking in general can be detrimental to anyone's case. It's just how it is for now:( ONE DAY MY BLADES!! It will be illegal to not have thc in your body.. Someday...

9. Jah Bless and Good Luck. May Peace be with you every day.

10. Thanks for all the advice guys.. is anyone 100% sure she will get drug tested or her medical records will be checked?

11. I dont think it will unless health becomes an issue in the case. In a court case people will use whatever it takes to win and if it can be proved that her health would cause problems when she takes care of the kids I wouldn't be surprised if a judge asks to see medical records. I don't think the judge would ask to drug test the parents unless someone brings up marijuana or other drugs or she has a criminal record for using drugs in the past or something like that. I wouldnt risk it until the case is over. I've never been in family court but anything can happen.

12. Hey,

I am not going to give you 100% as I don't know where you are at but my lawyer here in small town Oklahoma (25,000 people ) has given me a 100% chance that family court here will not grant the divorce until both parents are tested. Not because a Lawyer or Husband or Wife has asked, not because of personal criminal record, but because kids lifes are involved. I hope the risk would not be worth the chance but we all have to make that descision for ourselves. As I posted earlier the only 100% is to be clean at the hearing and THEN move on with your life and using mj for whatever reason... Good luck

Budy

13. [quote name='"Budy2shoes"']Hey,

I am not going to give you 100% as I don't know where you are at but my lawyer here in small town Oklahoma (25,000 people ) has given me a 100% chance that family court here will not grant the divorce until both parents are tested. Not because a Lawyer or Husband or Wife has asked, not because of personal criminal record, but because kids lifes are involved. I hope the risk would not be worth the chance but we all have to make that descision for ourselves. As I posted earlier the only 100% is to be clean at the hearing and THEN move on with your life and using mj for whatever reason... Good luck

Budy[/quote]

thanks dude.. my sister is in CA, I specified that in the OP. I think this is different though, as she would have a MMJ rec, and oklahoma isn't mmj friendly I don't believe

14. i dont think the judge would find out about it unless she was either drug tested or someone else brought it up.