Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can anyone find out that I'm a medical marijuana patient?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Helljumper, Feb 9, 2012.

1. I think I just found out that it's very easy to find out if anyone is a medical marijuana patient. I'm a patient in California and I've noticed that at dispensaries, they often use online verification to make sure you have a legit doctor's note. Today I looked at my paper work and one of the cards I got gave a link to the website that you can use for online verification.

Apparently anyone can use it. All you have to do is put in the person's birthday and Driver's License # and your name pops up with the length of your referral and the name of your doctor.

I had no idea this information was so readily available so I'm a little worried. It seems like a possible employer can easily find out that I'm a patient if they just put the info they get on my application into the website. Are they legally allowed to do this?

Also, if anyone is familiar with the verification website, is all of that information erased after my reference ends next year or will it still say that I had been a patient in the past?

2. i think they recently made a law in cali that said employers cant fire people based on mmj. but im not positive

3. Mine is not online. It a phone number for my dr recommendation. They have to give all my personal info to verify. An yes u can
    Get fired if u are an mj patient an they drug test u an u fail.

4. Mine is not online. It a phone number for my dr recommendation. They have to give all my personal info to verify. An yes u can
    Get fired if u are an mj patient an they drug test u an u fail.

5. Well I mean as long as you pass the drug test, they can't do anything can they?

My only issue is that I don't want this to affect me in the future. If I stop smoking after college to get a job, I couldn't get fired just because I was a patient in the past, right?

6. An employer can do whatever they want to. MMJ is not recognized as protected under law by EEOC.

7. [quote name='"Helljumper"']Well I mean as long as you pass the drug test, they can't do anything can they?

My only issue is that I don't want this to affect me in the future. If I stop smoking after college to get a job, I couldn't get fired just because I was a patient in the past, right?[/quote]

I don't think so. Maybe if u were trying to get a police job or something with an existence back ground check. An
    I mean deep. An that doesn't come with most jobs

8. No, didn't happen.

9. As far as I know, only in AZ. The Employer may have restrictions though, such as, DOD contractor, etc. :smoke:

10. Had a long winded statement...meh..why bother, Readers Digest version below:

If you need mmj then get a rec/card.:cool:

Do you want to work for a bigoted discriminatory hypocritical corp/company that bad? :confused:
    If so, quit using mj now, never look at weed again...ever. :(

Decide for yourself how you wish to live...how you decide could be the last choice you make, or just the first (enslavement or freedom...)

11. Couple of questions...

"one of the cards I got"

What type of "cards" are you referring to? There is a state ID card that is optional, and then there is a doctor's recommendation. In both cases you would only need one. Normally a doctor's recommendation is a piece of paper, although the clinic may also offer you a "card" which is often useless. I've also heard that some dispensaries give patients "cards".

Also what is the website address you are referring to? Normally an MMJ clinic's verification website will require the input of a patient ID # and not a name/birthdate/driver's license #.

If the website you are referring to is a clinic's verification site then any employer would need to know exactly which clinic issued your recommendation in order to check your status through that clinic's website (and they would probably need your patient ID # also). There are dozens of MMJ clinics (at least) in California.

I have never heard of a centralized, publicly accessible website that can be used to verify a person's status as a qualified patient in CA.