Can anyone explain the term inactive soil?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Stewart169, Jul 7, 2016.

1. i have seen mention of the term inactive soil. Can someone in the know explain it in a simple manor? Does this mean my organic soil I mixed this spring will be a problem?
    I have about 20 gallons plus the one 5 gallon I'm currently using for a grow.
    My extra soil is stored in a ventilated container in my yard. I have kept it damp and a couple weeks ago added some red wiggled worms and dropped some lettuce on top of it to try and keep things going.
    I don't expect the worms to make it thru the winter though.

If in 2 months I dump my used soil back in and mix it up for another grow will I have a problem?
    I thought one of this types soil was the fact that once mixed it was good for a long time.

2. "Inactive" means biologically inactive. It means that bacteria, fungi, and other soil biota responsible for cycling nutrients have either mostly died off, or gone into a state of "hibernation".

I'm a bit confused as to when you want to plant, and with regard to the winter reference... :huh:

• Like Like x 3
  3. I believe areas like Australia are beginning their winter right now. Didn't know they had "inactive soil".

• Like Like x 1
  4. its probably referring to barren soil. usually what happens to soil after being treated with chemical fertilizers and/or pesticides for a substantial period of time, and/or tilling the land repeatedly can all harm soil life and eventually lead to a dead, lifeless soil.
    where did you see the term mentioned?

• Like Like x 1
  5. I'm probably asking a pointless question in the wrong way. I started out with mixing up one of the organic recipes here. Due to the size of peat moss bags I just went ahead and made around 3 cubic feet. I only need about 1/3 to 1/4 of it at any moment due to my indoor grow space limitations.
    I also live in a city with a small back yard. Storing the soil for months and even longer for future use isn't a problem.

So while I'm not using it its in an above ground tote with ventilation holes. For the duration of any grow it will be like that. I keep it damp and occasionally turn it some. I don't want to use it elsewhere out doors to try and prevent any pests if I can.
    Keeping it like this in its own little closed ecosystem so to speak.
    I presumed this would keep on ticking over with the organic live components doing their thing except possibly in the freezing parts of winter. Dump back in the previous grows soil and chopped roots, mix it up and get another couple pots out to start the next grow. It's what I did a few weeks ago from my first grow.
    I came across the phrase inactive soil on a couple other sites and searched the term here as well.
    It made me scratch my head because it really didn't sound right.

From what I understand the short version is that soil like this has to have some constant growth or the microbes and all the rest will die off and have to be reammended for a time to be viable.
    I am not in any way saying it's right or wrong and that's why I am curious.
    Bags of prepackaged soils sit for who knows how long sealed up and unused.

• Like Like x 2
  6. dont worry your soil will be fine. i wouldnt even bother watering it honestly. have you seen the desert after it rains?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2

7. The word is "stasis" and is often used (properly or improperly) in the bacterial world to described a state wherein "nothing is happening" because they are in a state something like suspended antimation. Once the conditions return to a favorable state the bacteria become active again. Bacteria multiply very rapidly and it is very common to get that action going again for soil that is in fact "dead".

Here's a Q; How much bacteria is enough?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thanks for clearing it up.

• Like Like x 1