Can anyone answer this question about Korean Natural Farming?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by MedicatedWarrior235, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Hi everyone, new member, first post, so I hope I’m doing everything right.

I’ll keep this as short and to-the-point as possible. So basically I want to do a grow this year, and I’ve been studying Dr. Cho’s KNF method and definitely want to go that way for my grow. I’ve been working on getting all the inputs fermenting and ready. Everything is moving smoothly. There’s one question I have though... I notice that when making the Oriental Herbal Nutrient inputs, the handbook says to use beer to rehydrate dry herbs, and then to use distilled liquor to stabilize them and tincture them after the fermentation.

My question is, do I have to use beer and liquor? Or can I use maybe just water and vinegar or something like that? I can just see it getting pretty pricey with beer and liquor is all.

Kind of on topic, kind of not, but I also do other ferments like Kombucha and water kefir... would those be useful at all anywhere in KNF? Just kind of a side thought..

2. While I don't know a lot about it, I would say NO, you cannot sub water, and vinegar for alcohol.
    You cant change a persons formula, and expect to get the same results. Water, and vinegar have a completely different chemical makeup vs alcohol. Could be hes using the sugars in the alcohol, or some other possible reason.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Alright, I kinda figured as much. I thought it was worth asking though because of the whole “use what you have” mentality associated with this method. Whatever it takes to produce some nice, clean medicine.
    Thanks for the input!

4. #4 MedicatedWarrior235, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Sorry if double posting is against the rules but I thought it would be better than starting a whole new thread...

I have another KNF question. When Cho’s handbook mentions Brown Rice Vinegar, can I use BRV from the store or will I need to make it myself...? Or better yet, could I use Kombucha that is too acidic and tart to drink instead of BRV?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. While like I said before I'm not expert, but I assume BRV, is BRV ?? And YES you can use it.

Kombucha?? NO. Not the same chemically. May be acidic, but that's where it ends.

Remember. The more you deviate from the guys formula, expect less results and all of it will be guessing if you alter the formula in any way, unless the author tells you what can be subbed, youre just guessing, and throwing things up into the wind if you alter the process.

If it Aint Broke? Don't Fix It.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. With some, it's If it ain't broke...Give me a minute. LOL

OP, the store bought BRV will do just fine.

Wet

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Alright. And don’t think I’m like intentionally asking questions and then ignoring answers. The only reason I thought Kombucha And BRV might be interchangeable is because I saw a video on YouTube, user is Chris Trump. He has a vinegar how to video, he mentions using a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast, and then he pulls out a jar of finishes vinegar and pulls out a SCOBY that looks exactly like a Kombucha SCOBY. I know Kombucha also contains acetic acid (among other acids, supposedly) as well as a few strains of lactic acid bacteria and beneficial yeasts. So I just thought it might be possible.

But yeah, I’ll just play it safe and stick with store bought. Will I need to find a raw BRV or will just any kind do?

• Like Like x 2
  8. I see it mentions that BRV contains acetic acid bacteria. So does that mean I need to look for raw BRV? Or will any bottle from the store work?

9. Don’t buy name brand beer or alkeehaul.
    Get the cheapest beer you can find.
    There’s lots of cheap bad beer out there.....
    Milwaukee’s finest
    Paspst
    Blue label ect.
    And get the rot gut cheap bottom shelf alcohol.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Got it. I'll remember that.

Sorry to keep repeating myself, but should I look for raw BRV or will like kikkoman brown rice vinegar work ok?

11. Got it. I'll remember that.

Sorry to keep repeating myself, but should I look for raw BRV or will like kikkoman brown rice vinegar work ok? Because I’ve been looking around online and I can’t find Raw BRV anywhere. Looks like I’m gonna have to make it if it needs to be raw.

Any input here would be very appreciated

12. Just buy kikkoman or whatever for now. Making it will take a year. If you do want to make it though.

Make sure the coin is a copper penny though. pre 1982 otherwise it wont turn blue because it is mostly zinc.

1. Rinse twice and soak approx. 500g of grain and soak for 12-24 hours.
    2. Cook in rice cooker.
    3. Place in wide bowl and Mash; pour 250g of rice malt and mix well.
    4. Make into porridge consistency with 2 liters of natural water,then apply 2g of dry yeast and mix.
    5. Fill in the container( If you have Korean clay container that is the best) to 2/3 of volume,then cover with 2 layer of gauze. Put a coin on top to weigh down the gauze.
    6. Keep in an environment outside of the sunlight,external temperature should be 75-85F. it is best not to move the container around.
    7. After 6 month, the coin will turn bluish green. Continue to ferment 4-6 month to completion.
    8.Filter and collect clear solution in a new container. Approx. 1.6 liters of vinegar is produced.
    9. Seal and store in cool area.

Kim CS Chang/ Natural Farmer: Making Brown Rice Vinegar

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Alrighty. Cool, thank you for the directions. Definitely going to be needing it sooner than a year lol.

Went to the store, this was the closest I could find to BRV. This should work, right? IMG_9224.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  14. Yes, it will.

Wet

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cool, thanks everyone. Really appreciate it.

Hopefully this will be the last question I have, for a while at least, but what I'm now wondering about is, Is it okay if mold starts to form on the surface of an FPJ / FFJ ferment? There's one day to go on my FFJ, and I just now noticed tiny little circles of white mold beginning to form... Will this be okay after I strain it or will I need to start over?

16. white mold ok , dark molds not ok

17. Rice vinegar and sugar is what they use to make rice for sushi

18. That SCOBY is mother of vinegar.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1