Can anybody suggest some really good books to read for me to expand my mind?

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by MrWillyWanker, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Fahrenheit 451, the subconscious mind

2. Anything by Terence McKenna, "Cosmos" or anything by Carl Sagan, Walden or any kind of Philisophy is great too.

3. White over Black by Winthrop Jordan
    Conversations of the post 9/11 world by Noam Chomsky

4. food of the gods by terrence Mckenna

5. if your into like philosophy/psychodelics i would reccomend DMT- The Spirit Molecule by rick Strassman.
    Go Ask Alice was also a fantastic read but may cause a huge debate on a site like this.
    Also look for any books written by or about Carl Jung...brilliant man

6. #26 trippy08, Nov 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2008
    im in the middle of the electric kool - aid acid test at the moment..

it is a truly fantastic book

edit: i just realized how old this thread is haha

7. I recommend anything by krishnamurti, his books changed the way i look at everything and completely redefined the way i feel bout society and my spirituality. try "think on these things". Anything by naom chompsky is good to, profit over people etc.

8. I'd recommend Dune by Frank Herbert. It speaks a lot about heroism, ecology, psychology, and prophecy. Its a very accurate (yet exaggerated) cultural model of present times. Any of his books past the first I can't completely stand behind, but if you fall in love with the series they can be great reads.

9. man and his symbols
    dmt: the spirit molecule
    Inner paths to outer space

10. the prophet by kahlil gibran

i need to read it again. i've acted like a jerk lately. for me it's more spiritually awakening and thought provoking than reading the bible.

11. Walden by Henry David Thoreau
    Lies My Teach Told Me Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong by James W. Loewen
    The Wilderness World of John Muir
    Che Guevara A Revolutionary Life by Jon Lee Anderson
    The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Alex Haley

12. WITHOUT DOUBT a favorite book im reading right now and cant recommend enough, easy to read aswell.....

The Fall: The Insanity of the Ego in Human History and the Dawning of A New Era (Paperback)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fall-Insanity-Human-History-Dawning/dp/1905047207/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228129640&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: The Fall: The Insanity of the Ego in Human History and the Dawning of A New Era: Steve Taylor: Books[/ame]

The other book Ive been reading for about 10 years is the Tao te Ching, that book has inspired me more than anything in the world. Find a copy that is right for you, there are many translations. Im enjoying this edition at the moment.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Tao-Te-Ching-Lao-Tzu/dp/0872202321/ref=pd_bbs_sr_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228130018&sr=8-7"]Amazon.com: Tao Te Ching: Lao-Tzu, Stephen Addiss, Stanley Lombardo, Burton Watson: Books[/ame]

13. The last lecture by randy pausch

it is about a college professor with three young kids who has months to live because he has cancer, so he is giving a last lecture to his college students about his philosophies on life.

you can look up the videos on youtube. its a life changing story, the mans going to die but hes still smiling and laughing and happier than most people could dream of being.

P.S. i gave a pathetic description check out the video.