Can a person become addicted to marijuana?

Discussion in 'General' started by noehernandez0710, Dec 24, 2013.

1. I debate this with my friend. What do you guys think

2. Absolutely.  Before you know it you'll be turning tricks in seedy motels to fund your weed poison habit.

3. You can't physically be addicted to marijuana, meaning there is nothing in marijuana that can get you addicted. That being said, it is possible to become mentally addicted, or addicted to the social aspect perhaps.

4. Smoking can slowly creep from a recreational thing, into a part of your daily life where you insist it makes everything better. Psychological addiction.

5. psychological addiction is basically the same thing as physical addiction

(imagine your cells developing a tolerance to your own neurotransmitters)

it's not as bad as heroin which i think probably inhibits reuptake as well, but yes a person can definitely be addicted to weed.

im pretty sure i am right now

6. I can attest to mental addiction. I have 3 times I mainly smoke. Morning, lumch break and end of day. If I miss one. I feel great physically. If I miss two I start thinking about getting more. If I miss the morning its going to be a shitty day for me. Pretty bleak an mellow all day. Not talkative. People at work will always ask if im alright. Yeah im fine. Im just not high an all giddy.. I don't tell them that of course! I can stop anytime I want. I just have to break the first 3 days so stop the daily routine of smokimg. Fill my idle time with packing a fall or rolling a blunt. Wh3n you make smoking a consistent part of your daily routine, you become addicted imo. Sent from my SCH-I605 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. #7 SlowMo, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2013
    Yes and no. I'll just quote a little section from my Neurophamacology textbook:

Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is one of several
    cannabinoid compounds contained in marijuana,
    and is primarily responsible for the psychoactive
    effects of cannabis preparations. Although the
    addictive potential of THC has been a matter of
    debate, there is no question that it can be addicting,
    since there are many compulsive users of marijuana.
    Withdrawal symptoms typically do not occur with termination
    of long-term marijuana use, because of the
    persistence of accumulated THC in the tissues of longterm
    users. However, cannabinoid dependence can be
    demonstrated experimentally with the use of cannabinoid
    receptor antagonists, which precipitate profound
    withdrawal symptoms that are both physical and
    emotional–motivational.

Code:
    Some clinical observations from studies of cannabis use:Short-Term Effects     Withdrawal SymptomsEuphoria               IrritabilityDisinhibition          RestlessnessCognitive deficits     Sleep disturbanceIncreased hunger       Nausea
    Molecular Neuropharmacology A Foundation for Clinical Neuroscience (Second Edition) - pg 373

Sounds a bit contradictory, don't you think?

But all that being said, it's fortunate for all of us that the canabinoids in weed don't involve, at least to the same degree, the infamous dopaminergic pathways in the brain that addictive drugs like amphetamines and the opiates do. It's these pathways that produce the severe cravings and nasty-ass sickness associated with withdrawal from these compounds-from-hell. As a result of this and what I quoted above, we don't generally experience the severity of physical withdrawal when we're out. But we all know we do experience some effects when we're out - like, I sure would like some fucking weed - NOW! Kinda like what I experience when I get to the last Orio or macadamia nut cookie.

8. Yes you can be addicted to weed. I AM ADDICTED TO WEED.

9. you can be mentally dependent on anything if you have chemical imbalances in your brain. 

10. Yes but only as much as you can be addicted to the things you enjoy most in your life.

People are addicted to sex, video games and Mac Donalds. 

11. A human can become addicted to almost anything, from coffee to cigarettes, to marijuana to heroine, to sex and to shoplifting. However it is different for all people, and all scenarios are unique.

I smoke almost everyday, except I only do so after I have gotten work done, gone to class, done homework etc. So while I am basically a daily user, I delay that use and am not seeking immediate gratification, for the most part.

So am I addicted? Maybe, maybe not, a physician would probably say I am. Am I letting my cannabis use interfere with my life? Not at all. Do I have enough self-control to not act on immature impulses? Yes.

12. Sports, weed, video games

13. #13 user, Dec 24, 2013
    you get attached to it.... It becomes the norm, so when you take it away people struggle without it, however after a week or so your pretty much back to normal

14. There was a recent study (2013) that concluded marijuana actually is physically addictive. However, the level of addiction is no greater than that of caffeine. No homeless guy is sucking dick for another hit of devil weed. If you fucked your life up, there's other factors besides marijuana to be concerned about. The mental addiction is actually rather mild. The insomnia is the worst symptom, which is only for the first few days, so it really shouldn't be a big issue quitting weed if you really want to. 

15. thanks this reallys was helpful. Turns out I was right.

16. #16 Storm Crow, Dec 24, 2013
    Also your genetics come into play! We have an Endocannabinoid system which makes compounds that act like THC. The two main endocannabinoids are anandamide and 2-AG. These are made on an "on demand" basis and are easily broken down.

Scientists have bred mice with defective endocannabinoid systems (ECS) called "knock-out mice" (because part of the genes controlling their ECS receptors have been "knocked out").  And there are "knock out" people with the genetic mutations which affect the way the endocannabinoid system works but not to the same extent as the mice.

People with a defective ECS are more prone to cancer and other diseases. Dr Russo did a paper on it-

Clinical Endocannabinoid Deficiency        (full - 2004)  
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/43672268/Clinical-Endocannabinoid-Deficiency-CECD-Russo

Now these folks are the ones who can "get addicted" to cannabis and have some real, but not truly severe, withdrawal from cannabis. What is happening is that the THC replaces the missing anandamide and 2-AG, so your body runs normally. But then if you stop, you go back to the old insufficient levels and your body notices the difference and suddenly, it isn't working right!

These folks are not really "addicted", they are dependent- just like I am dependent on my thyroid pills! Both THC and the thyroid pills make up for a lack of compounds that our bodies normally make!  And if either is withdrawn, we feel the physical and mental effects.

Hope that explains things a little better!

Granny

17. Aha. I have that book.

[​IMG]

good shit :p

18. Anything can be Mentally addicting, it depends on you personally

But physically no, the compounds in cannabis do not create physical dependence, no matter how much you indulge

19. Considering I have been dry for two days now and I am freaking out over it, I would say there is a level of dependance that can be developed. I mean fuck... the thought of being dry on Christmas was enough to actually make me puke. I am also not hungry and a little dizzy right now and everything makes me angry. If only my dealers would text back!!!

20. Thing is that THC stays in the system for 30 days, so if you quit today, you would not experience any major withdrawal symptoms unlike other drugs that leave the system much quicker.