Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can a cop sell you weed and then arrest you?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by TheCoolest420, Sep 16, 2011.

1. No right? I mean i have heard people say they don't like buying from new people and crap. But isn't it illegal for a cop to sell you weed and then arrest you? Don't you have to sell him the weed? I mean what is he going to charge you with? Wanting to buy weed?

2. its called entrapment

3. Cops can do whatever they want when they want, as long as they get an arrest. They'll get you for possession. I mean, as long as they don't beat the shit out of you and all, they're free to make a sting like that.

Source: Many many many episodes of COPS

4. Logically, no. But they're cops so they can live above the law when they feel like it.

5. Just smoked, and you made me want to go watch cops.

Now I go watch cops :)

6. i feel for all you americans that can be arrested for possession. here in canada, unless you've got an ounce on you with baggies, you can most likely claim personal use and it either gets taken away or you get a fine or both. hell some places like here in van, you get caught with a joint if you're over 18 and show ID they will probably let you keep it.

7. it's entrapment, so legally they can't. in practice, they'll probably say something in the police report like "OP asked me if i had any weed, so i arrested him"

8. if he himself comes up to you and says, "here, do u wanna buy this weed." thats entrapment. but if u go up to him durring and ask(undercover, sting, ext.) then yes.

but he could always sell it to u and have someone else arrest you, then split and not reveal that it was him.

fuck the police

9. Entrapment broooooo. Tricking you or forcing you to do somethin you normally would not have done if given the choice. I can't explain really but heres an example.

...nevermind I got nothin lol. This whole post played out great in my head, I saw lots of "likes" and "+ rep," but I have no idea what I was goin for lol. I got the munchies I'm goin back to my $2 6 in subway sammich :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. Its on G4 right now!

11. Don't get down on yourself...just keep working on the posts and you'll get a gazillion rep and 7 likes one day

I think we need to side track this thread and throw bobby82 some compliments cuz he tried but he is probably high and sometimes you forget what you were gonna say when posting

12. #12 Homesqueeze, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2011

2 dollars?!?!?! :eek:

is there a deal today?

edit:

ill rep anything for a 6" sub

13. Oh my god you can order online

14. ^^^ yea man on meatball, cold cut, and i think one more. And philosiraptor... +rep ha ha need more nice people like you in this cruel cruel world.

15. I really dislike it when people spread false info to op's.

"These types of myths are generally based on the belief that it is illegal for a police officer to entrap a citizen into committing a crime. Following this theory, many people believe that related actions by police, such as lying about their identity, would also be illegal or invalidate a prosecution. While a claim of "entrapment" by police can be used as a defense in a criminal case, it is both uncommon and rarely successful. Additionally, police entrapment itself is not illegal -- just potential cause for a not-guilty verdict.

Loosely defined, entrapment is a situation in which, if not for the actions of the police officer or police informant, the defendant would not have committed the crime. This defense is generally only successful in situations where law enforcement officers create a criminal plan, plant the idea of that plan into an otherwise innocent person's mind, and then instigate the plan for the purpose of prosecuting the suspect.

The mere presentation of an opportunity or request by an officer that an individual commit a crime does not qualify as entrapment. An officer may engage a citizen in conversation and ask to buy an illegal substance -- even if they have no reason to suspect the person of illegal activity.2 They may offer to sell an illegal substance and arrest the buyer after the sale. They can go out of their way to help a person to commit a crime. What they can't do, is unduly persuade, threaten, coerce, or harass the person, such that a normally law-abiding citizen would participate in the unlawful action. Unfortunately, even in cases where the government does induce a crime, evidence that the defendant was "predisposed" to committing the crime is likely to undermine an entrapment defense. If the prosecution can show that the defendant agreed to participate too quickly or had a record of similar crimes in the past, the entrapment defense rarely succeeds.5 One example of such a case was U.S. v. Bogart (1986) in which Bogart agreed to sell presidential campaign posters to a police informant. When the informant arrived to purchase the posters, he informed Bogart that his only method of payment was with cocaine. Though Bogart initially refused, he eventually agreed because he needed the proceeds from the sale. He was arrested and his entrapment defense was denied based on his "predisposition" to commit the crime.6"

"Police officers working undercover have exceptions from certain criminal laws. For instance, law enforcement officers directly engaged in the enforcement of controlled substance laws are exempt from laws surrounding the purchase, possession, sales or use of illegal substances.7

This means that there's no way to identify an undercover officer based on their willingness or refusal to use an illegal drug. Reverse stings are common in the enforcement of controlled substance laws. In a reverse sting operation, a police officer sells drugs that have previously been confiscated and then arrest the buyer. "

http://www.erowid.org/freedom/police/police_info6.shtml

For sure they can.

16. Its called corrupt police state, the DEA ships in and sells drugs, all from central America, and also the National Guard is in the middle east growing opium

17. only if theyre in uniform

18. I know you can get caught selling weed to a cop and get effed, but the other way around is alot less likely anyway...I did buy weed from a guy that ended up being a snitch/narc for a while. Now if you ask someone if they're a cop and they say no but really are then it is 100% entrapment regardless of the situation, so if you're really dealing with people you might think is a cop, just ask.....yeh not akward at all

19. Entrapment has some legal gray area associated with it, though, so be careful -- not everything you'd think is entrapment is [legally] deemed that way. Wikipedia is a good jumping-off point here.

Excellent post & info. Quoted just a couple short bits of it for "tl;dr" blades' benefit ;)