Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can a cop search a lock box thats in my car?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Chronchiitis, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Say I had a little lock box that needed a key/key code number in order to open it with weed and paraphernalia inside it. If a cop stopped me, had reasonable cause (smoke or smell) and ordered to search my car, would he be able to demand for me to open the lock box? Would he have to wait for a search warrant, and if so would he make me wait there until he got it?

Also, if i had a lock box and the car wasn't mine (say it was my moms and I was just using it) would it go the same? Could I say the lock box belonged to my mom and I didn't have the key or something?

2. not sure but just use the glove box, it locks and they WILL need a warrant to search it unless you just let them.

3. Yeah you won't have to let them search it. At least that's what I was told in my law class when I asked this same question. As I understand it, if it needs a key, they can't make you open it.

And Area 11, not all of us are fortunate enough to have a locking glove box.

4. @ op the state i live in it is illegal to search it without a warrant unless i give them consent. i was in the suburbs an a little city cop stoped me, and he used my car keys to open up the glove box which was locked. He also opened the trunk the same way i didnt consent to any of the searches, and the orginal search was illegal. sorry for rambling but i dont know your local statues, but im pretty sure if your in the united states of america the 4th admendment protects you. an always make sure if they obtain a warrant it is signed by a judge not a d,a. other wise its not valid..

5. #5 Shizmaster, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2011
    The cop would have to get a search warrant. No cop, no matter the state, can demand you open your personal locked objects. It's Privacy 101 I'd say...However they can have it submitted in the warrant to include the opening of the lock box. And to answer weather or not they would make you wait until they got the warrant to search, unless you are being a complete asshole to the cop or acting super suspicious, then you should be ok. I'd also say your chances of getting a search warrant put on you at night is less likely, because judges like to sleep too.

In my state it doesn't matter who the box actually belongs to. If it's in your car (meaning: you are the legal driver of that vehicle) then the box belongs to you. Otherwise everyone would just throw their stash out the window and say "That's not mine, prove it"...there are laws in place to prove culpability....It's deffinately not the cop's...so there is only one other person it could belong to...YOU. And it's the cop's word over yours, and a cop's word in law is better than any citizens..

But here's the cake on the icing for you my friend. When a cop get's a search warrant he needs to include in detail EXACTLY what is being searched in your car. SO, keep the lock box in your trunk. When they do get some warrant to search your trunk, gladly open it and smile as you see the look on their faces when they have to get another warrant to open what in my state would be considered a personal safe (your lock box). So, best advice is don't ever cruise with para on you...it's dumb...especially if you are using it while driving...but if you are forced to which I know many are do to not having super safe smoking locations, then keep it in your trunk or locked glove box.

Slight disclaimer on my advice: Don't take my advice on law as fact, since my specialty is in fact my own state. I would hate to give any of you advice and have you find out that the laws were different in your own state. So for your own sake make sure to check your own laws concerning these matters. Most of the laws are universal from state to state concerning privacy and how far the police are aloud to go without needing permission from an official (judge) but a slight stipulation is all it takes to get your thrown in jail and to ruin your life...and we all know the law has more holes in it then Swiss cheese. :wave::smoke:

6. from my understanding they need a warrent for anything locked, BUT that does not stop cops in my area, if they wanna get into your trunk or glove box they will just take the keys and open it themselves. thats why if i were to get a lock box for my car i would get one with a combo. just so even if they want to illegally search it they CANT because they wont figure out the combo

7. To quote Jay Z;

"Liscense and registration and step out of the car"
    "Are you carryin' a weapon on you I know a lot of you are"
    I ain't steppin out of shit all my paper's legit
    "Well, do you mind if I look round the car a little bit?"
    Well my glove compartment is locked so are the trunk in the back
    And I know my rights so you gon' need a warrant for that
    "Aren't you sharp as a tack, you some type of lawyer or something'?"
    "Or somebody important or somethin'?"
    Nah, I ain't pass the bar but i know a little bit
    Enough that you won't illegally search my shit.

8. Lock the box, hide the key. How the fuck are they going to open it if you claim to have lost the key. :hello:

9. Thanks for all the replies. Helped a lot.