Can a air purifier be used instead of a carbon filter?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by CaliBombShit, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Doubt it will be effective. First off, 10x10 is pretty big for a personal grow space. What ceiling height? You need to consider the volume of the room (3 dimensions) not just the floor square footage.

The problem with that air purifier is that it draws its intake and pushes out its exhaust into the same space, mixing the cleansed air with the "dirty". This is fine for a room that doesn't have heavy odors and where you aren't ventilating the air out of the space, like in your bedroom while you sleep at night. For MJ you want to ventilate that space, exchanging all the air out constantly, so you want a carbon filter on that exhaust.

2. as above says and iv tried one wen i 1st started to grow and in the end i ended up getting a carbon filter so it was a wast of money m8 so just get a carbon filter or make one your self their is lots of different ones to choose from if you search the forms good look dude

3. Yeah, those sheets of carbon don't do much.
    My air purifier even releases ozone.

The best solution is lots of carbon and ozone.

4. #5 CaliBombShit, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2011

its in the attic and the the height of the room is no bigger than 6 feet. there will be a max of 8 plants being SCROGd. The room will actually be ventilated very good with fresh clean air coming in from my room and dirty air being spit out from my second story roof into the outdoors. ( 2 1000cfm portable ventilators)So the air will be circulating quite well. Would it be a better idea to have the purifier in my room instead. I have a walk in closet in my room and through the closet u access the attic. Or maybe in my closet?? Or will it still not work?

5. Not sure how you are defining the idea of this purifier "working" or not. The idea is to remove odor -- if you are venting to the outside then do you need to worry about odor anyway? Before you answer, keep in mind that the smell of MJ in flowering can be very strong and can be smelled downwind up to 100 yards away. Depending on your living situation this may or may not be OK.

As for using an air purifier in the house, the idea with your grow ventilation is that you channel all of your odor out the exhaust so that it doesn't smell up other areas.