Camping out my car.

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Reo, Jul 21, 2020.

1. So Ive come across some medical time off work and am getting antsy round the house. Never have traveled and its been years since I camped... going back from when I was a kid.

I've been looking around at local camp sites and there's openings so I could test sleeping in my car before I just go out into the country. That and maybe practice what one's to do during camping other than fishing.

As for sleeping in my car. I have a 2009 Hyundai Santa fe. With the back seats down its roomie enough for a air mattress in the back so no complaints there.

Currently I bought window vents so I can have the windows cracked without worrying of rain, aswell im going to be looking at making magnetic screens so I can have the windows down and not get eaten alive by the bugs.

20200626_063134.jpg
    So far I got some items organized into the rear storage compartment in hope's everything will fit. From right to left I got shit tickets, 20ft booster cables, air mattress, inflator, socket/tool box, box of oatmeal. The amp will be coming out and in its place will be a sleeping bag and pillow or a grill n charcoal/propane. Some where I'm going to need to fit dishes, frying pan, kettle in there too.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Some solar panels are a good addition. Have fun man.

And, a pocket rocket stove is also nice.

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Thank you sir. The solar panels may be a bit much as for now... actually I'm going to need an explanation to the setup you're referring too.:smoking:

I have a amp installed in the back compartment. could put in another battery in the amps place for extra capacity... ( although using your alternator to charge a battery isn't the best) rather I'd take my makita work light with me and charge the batteries up while I'm driving to and from. Makita also offers a USB power converter so I could maybe get by using them the night say I need led lights or a 5v fan

A good stove is something I'm going to need to get. It'll just be me cooking so something small would work well.... or wrap said meal in tin foil and shove it in the engine bay till it's cooked, remember a commercial for Kraft dinner where these guys had a pot atop the engine cooking it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Don't forget a first aid kit can get a basic good one at Walmart.

Sent with it's not a lie!?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Digging crystals, minerals and fossils is always a great time killer and theres a whole lot of places to go do this here in the USA.

Join the Youth Hostel group - its been a long time since I’ve done it but its just a nominal fee to join and will allow you to get an actual good nights sleep oN a mattress, get a hot shower and use of the kitchen in a mess of cool places for cheap $$.
    J

• Like Like x 1
  6. I love camping, or specifically overlanding.

Drive into the wilderness and pick a spot to camp, middle of nowhere.

[​IMG]

I do have a big battery that powers a small fridge, that can be charged with my 100 watt solar panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  7. #10 Ronilo, Nov 9, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    Need some medicine also which is helpful for any kind of dehydration or gas like problem in body .

8. for the camping, you should have your needful things along with you and for long routes always have eatables with you and some spare equipment's with you. you should also check this blog link.

• Like Like x 1
  9. i will be gone in a couple of days

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  10. 20210915_191911.jpg

20210915_191826.jpg

Couple years later and a different car. The table double as sleeping area and storage below with a 80ah agm battery paired to a 1000w inverter

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. I have a 3000 watt honda generator and 3 deep cycle 12 volt batteries .
    Cool set up for your car . looks like Oregon

• Like Like x 2
  12. You might look into a roof rack and a storage bag that fits in it .
    I have a 5 gallon black shower bag that if you leave it in the sun it warms the water.
    I am too old for tents and sleeping in a car for pleasure or recreation.

13. #16 JohnKlein94, Jul 20, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    My friend also has a 2017 Santa Fe, but he is not as comfortable, perhaps because of its size))

14. Your 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe seems spacious enough with the back seats down to accommodate an air mattress. That's a smart move to ensure a comfortable sleeping arrangement. The window vents are a good idea too, allowing you to crack the windows without worrying about rain. And those magnetic screens for the windows will definitely come in handy to keep those pesky bugs at bay.

Camping is not just about fishing, although that can be a fun activity. You can also explore nature trails, have a picnic, or just relax and enjoy the peaceful surroundings. Don't forget to pack essentials like camping gear, food, and water. And if you're new to camping, it's always good to have a checklist of things to do and bring.

15. #18 Lloyd867, Oct 5, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2023
    Stunning pictures :rolleyes: The idea of camping out of your car sounds like a great adventure. I've heard that having reliable gear can make all the difference, so considering Grundens customer service when buying camping equipment is a smart move. Their support can be useful, ensuring you have the right gear for a comfortable and enjoyable experience during your car camping adventures.

16. IMG_20230913_125940711.jpg

IMG_20230913_130021704.jpg

Current build. Roomie enough.