Camping , fishing and exploring Northern Nevada .

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Headhunterpipes, Apr 24, 2021.

1. I have lived in Northern Nevada for 31 years , i love to fish camp and explore .
    I mainly look to camp by water , hopefully trees , I have a nice 5th wheel camper with a large generator and don't need RV hook ups .
    I do have a dog and try stay away from camping close to other campers if possible .

Believe it or not but northern Nevada has some killer fishing spots .
    In Nevada all the rest areas along Hi way 80 are closed , so i don't what the state campgrounds are open or not ..
    You should call the state park rangers and get all the important info you need for where your camping out .
    Just a example ,, i plan on going to Wyoming and do some fishing but right now no out of state fishing LIC are being sold because of Corona Virus .

Nevada has more mountain ranges then any of the other lower 48 states .
    And few years ago when it was flooding here Nevada had more water surface area then lake Superior .
    90% of Nevada is owned by the BLM ,and state and federal government .
    If your looking for free non stop places to camp Nevada is a campers dream .
    Nevada also has a shit load of old mining towns and mining sites .

I am going name off some of the places I like ..

Fishing
    Wild horse 60 miles north of Elko NV
    Yes is a fee state camp ground indoor hot and cold running showers /bathrooms fish cleaning station .
    RV parking/boat ramp .
    Wild horse is one of the best fishing in the entire state of Nevada .
    Wild Horse is up in elevation and can be windy and cold ..
    There is camping around the reservoir but the Indian tribe owns that land and they collect the camping fees .
    In the area of elko is South Fork reservoir , good fishing , Ruby marshes ,, killer fishing
    Duck Valley NV ( Sheep Creek reservoir ) on the Indian reservation best trout fishing i have ever done .

Other places would be Jarbridge NV very small and extremely remote mining town Population 9.
    Very scenic .
    some fishing .
    There is Wilson Reservoir and willow creek Reservoir .
    Water canyon ,,, free close to town and Hi way 80 Winnemucca
    Rye patch reservoir camping fees nice place can be good fishing ... Walleye cat fish. wiper bass .
    There is onion reservoir and blue lake .
    Blue lake is a hike into only ..Its very steep trail and its about a 1/3 of a mile hike .
    I believe its at 9000 ft so be in good shape ,, or it kick your ass.
    You need a 4x4 to go to Onion and blue lake .
    Onion and blue lake is extremely scenic ,,, no camping fee's but one hell of a drive getting there .
    I wouldn't drag a boat or camper ... tent camping only ,,, two ways in rough roads .
    Any info anyone needs I might be able to help you .if your camping in Northern Nevada and close to where I live .

It would be cool if members chimed in and shared some the cool camping and fishing spots .

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. I'm not much of a fisher but I love camping and hiking. I need to get back into it and explore places to go for free camping and hiking where I won't be bothered by others like the police for free camping.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. #3 Butterfat, Apr 24, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    Can't remember the name of the place but one spot had like 30 lakes and fun bass fishing . Real good trout fishing especially on private areas or newly opened ones. (Even the truckee is decent but more on the California side near river Rock ect)

Might be mason valley I'm thinking of. Maybe 1.5 hrs from reno

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. If free camping and hiking is your priorities
    This is where I would go .
    I0000gMukJgZWV0s.jpg (1000×647) (photoshelter.com)
    Nevada Department of Wildlife (ndow.org)
    Stocking Blue lake, Nv fingerling trout - YouTube
    This last video i would fast forward to about half way through .
    Blue lake is very scenic ..
    Trip to fish Blue Lake Nevada at sunset - YouTube

Martin creek is killer too

5. Long as the popo don't be rolling up on me I am good and this scenery looks crisp as fuck I really love it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    You say a pop of 9(nine) I'm all over this I could have a street named after me ...?

We could all move their form a town council and rename it GRASSCITY

Jarbidge" is a name derived from the Shoshone language meaning "devil".Natives believed the nearby hills were haunted.(wiki)

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. First time there was the day before deer and elk hunting seasoned open up.
    My wife and kids went into the bar and grill on the left .
    We wanted to order some food ,, the waitress said she would take our order but if we wanted step out back they are having a BBQ.
    It was a whole pig on the rotisserie and 3 or 4 picnic of food .
    Everyone was super friendly .
    Jarbridge is the Last place in the USA to have a stage coach hold up .
    the Driver was shot and killed and the shooter got twenty years ..
    Yes the local native American Indians are Shoshone and Paiute .
    Winnemucca is named after Paiute Chief Winnemucca .
    Chief Winnemucca daughter was educated Princes Winnemucca who wrote a book about her father ,the town and the Paiute tribe going to war with a race of giant red men .
    Everyone said the war with the Giant Red men was BS ,,, in 1911 two bat guano hunters were in Lovelock NV digging up bat Guano and dug up 54 giant human skeletons .
    I seen one of the giant red man skeleton skulls about 30 years ago .
    Now the museum says they never had any of the giants remains ..
    And all the remains are gone ..
    Ancient Red-Haired Giants in Lovelock, Nevada, USA | Otherworld Mystery
    Lovelock Skull: Evidence of Ancient Giants of the Americas (anomalien.com)
    10 Strange Facts Concerning the Red-Haired Giants of Lovelock Cave (megalithicmarvels.com)
    Its really very interesting .

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Its really out of it ...I could not land with my google earth ...bummer

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. The subject Of the Lovelock Giants is super interesting to me .
    Allot of interesting history ...
    The Book wrote by Princess Sara Winnemucca talks about how the Paiutes Killed the race of red man giants ..
    Life among the Paiutes : Their Wrongs... book

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. When did BLM get the money to buy 90% of Nevada? Why didn't they buy Minnesota?

11. Politics

12. Cool ,, pretty much everything she wrote in her book about the Red Man giant has been proven true .
    Sad part is our state government has some how misplaced ever single bone found from the 54 complete skeletons found in the caves ..
    When theses Skeletons were found in 1911 the whole town of Lovelock seen them ..
    There are allot of people living that have seen some of the giants remains .
    I have seen one of the Giants skulls in person ..

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Been looking for the right camping spot in Nevada to start my camping and exploring season .
    Still have plenty of things to do to trailer before i leave ..
    Pretty much settled on Great Basin National Park .
    Great Basin National Park (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)
    I believed it snowed there yesterday or the day before . slightly early in the year to be camping out in certain parts of Nevada .
    The park Rangers there are super helpful .
    I have a lady friend meeting me there she is 420 friendly ,we plan on camping out in the great basin national park ( in the 5th wheel ) for about a week .
    I look forward to taking some cool photographs in the caves and landscape plus wild life ..

I will also be going by Cave lake near Ely NV . Looks very scenic .
    Cave Lake State Park | State Parks (nv.gov)

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Find them bones while you're at it ,,IMO as its very interesting

• Like Like x 1
  15. Camp near pig rock (was free back in my day lol) and fish pyramid lake (buy a day pass) If you rock climb even better but remember its 5.12 mostly at pig couple easy top rope and one maybe 5.10 climb if my memory isnt burned out completely

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Are you in reno ?
    I think we spoke about this before ,if i remember right you live in Susanville .
    My plan is great basin national park first .. from there I dont know, Utah is very pretty but the fucking cops suck ass.
    My next stop I was thinking of heading north to Wyoming, not towing my boat behind my 5th wheel this trip it will be all bank fishing .
    I don't really mind fishing from bank .. Trust me one way or another I will be catching something .. fish or buzz either way its all good ..
    I am all Jazzed about taking off , but I had allot of things to do the 5th wheel before taking off.
    Today I will be doing the carpet shampoo.. and cleaning the inside of the 5th wheel
    Yesterday ,, man I guess my age is fucking me up ,i got pooped right away .

17. Not me lol, lived in reno for a decade but been a while. Worked in susanville every wednesday though back in the day. I have fished wyoming to. Seemed most there liked the lakes so the small streams going into the lakes were great fishing . Did lots of spot and stalk style fly fishing there for browns

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. I lived in Rock springs ,,, love exploring the Wind River mountain range .. Only if I had a horse ...I could see so much more .
    Have a friend who has giant ranch in big piney his ranch is 60 miles long 20 miles wide .
    The elk hunting was great .. not once did i not get a Elk and deer ... sometimes a bear too
    Back then you bought deer tag and a bear tag came with it ..
    We called it the deer hearts and bear ass tags .
    My rancher friend had pet badger ,,,, Fred the Badger .. there should be a saying in don't badger Fred the Badger .. because Fred is one bad F______g badger .
    But in real life ,, its a bad thing to blow in Fred's face .. my friend the rancher did it once ...
    Fred bit him in the cheek of his face ..