Camera help!

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by 2ndGenHippy, Nov 18, 2011.

1. So I'm thinking about doing a little photography as a hobby, my question to you is what camera and lens should I start with? I'm a complete newb and don't wanna break the bank but am willing to spend ~600 on a new or good used camera. I'll be doing a lot of nature and still life shots, but also would like to capture some good action shots at the racetrack. Well that's it, point me in the direction I need to go blades...

2. Ive been taking pictures for about 3 years. shit is fun. juts buy an entry level dsrl, canon, nikon, its basically the same. and the stock 18-50 lens should serve you well for a while.
    Flickr: William Vazquez's Photostream

3. This is a pretty tough question because you threw sports into the equation. Immediately I think you should save more and skip the entry level to go with a midrange that is built more solid and has a higher framerate and better autofocus system.

However, you do list the sporting aspect as the last thing you want to do, leaving nature and still life as the most prominent, which turns me back around to thinking you should likely just buy an entry level.

Oh well. You have a ton of options.

Entry Level Options:

• Nikon D5100 (said to be one of the best entry level because of it's great sensor)
    • Nikon D3100 (not as good, but cheaper, and a decent camera to learn on)
    • Canon Rebel T2i (probably Canon's best entry level)
    • Canon Rebel T3
    All of those cameras are in the range of around $500-800.

Mid-Range:

• Nikon D90
    • Nikon 7000
    • Canon 50D
    • Canon 60D
    These are all in the range of $800-1200.

If you're willing to buy used, D90s, can be bought up for cheaper. Same with the Canon 50D. The 60D and D7000 are still relatively new cameras on the market and used prices don't really reflect any depreciation.

There are even more options if you're willing to buy used. Older models and such. There are also other camera companies to consider if price is a big option (Olympus, Sony, and Pentax). They are all just as capable, just not as commonly used as to the two bigs (Canon and Nikon).

Know right now that if you plan to make this a hobby, it gets expensive. Lenses are not cheap. Most of the time, good glass is going to cost you more than you paid for your camera.

Lastly, just one thing to consider, you may find it hard to get Nikon products right now. The major flood that happened in Thailand (a month or so ago) basically took out the Nikon plant (which makes all midrange and entry level products). It is still flooded and many of their lenses, bodies, etc... have gone on back order until around January (tba). This, along with a new Nikon policy, has driven prices up quite a bit.

If you need more help, feel free to ask. Between the many photographers here, we can definitely get you in the right direction.

4. Thanks for that response, that's a lot of info to digest. I've been looking at the Nikon d3100 and it seems like the best bang for the buck for a beginner, but I wasn't aware of the flood impacting their plant

5. If you could save up a little more, I'd still recommend the 5100. I hear nothing but positive reviews on it. However, it's like $150-200 more than what you want to spend.

6. Well I finally purchased a camera today, I think I did alright... Got a used Nikon d60 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens for 400 bucks. Now just gotta wait for it to come in next week...

7. #7 BokehBokeh, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2011
    I've got the NIKON d3100. Remember that the price of your camera doesn't directly reflect the degree of your talent. You can see some examples of the pictures I've taken with my entry level slr in the link in my sig. I used to sell cameras and let me give you some advice. I've seen beautiful pictures come out of the shittiest rigs. If you are a beginner start out small. You can always upgrade later on. I highly recommend the d3100 if you're looking at nikon or the t2i if you're a Canon fan.

Edit: didn't see your post. Good choice.

8. The D60 isn't bad at all. I believe that's what GGrass is shooting with and he is pumping out some great shots. If you ever find yourself wanting help or advice on the use of the camera, there are more than enough Nikon shooters here. I'm always willing to help out a fellow shooter. I may not be great or even good for that matter, but I do know a lot.

Anyway, have fun. Shoot a lot and start sharing your progress with us!

9. Appreciate all the great info and offers of help, I won't hesitate to ask trust me! I plan on getting some sort of book to help me out, any suggestions?

10. First of all, if your camera came with it's manual, begin with that. I know it sounds like trite, boring, and dry reading, and it is, but there is nothing like knowing the capabilities and functions of your camera.

Second, for beginners, Bryan Peterson dominates the market. His book, "Understanding Exposure" is quite renown. He has others about Shutter Speed, Creativity, and a couple field guides.

If you're not into books per se, I've compiled a few great websites that I share with people.

Tons of good information here about exposure, aperture, iso, types of photography etc...
    Digital Photography Tips and Techniques | ExposureGuide.com

Same with this place:
    Digital Photography Tips: Digital Photography School

This is place to help you produce neat gear/equipment on a budget:
    DIYPhotography.net | Photography and Studio Lighting

This place has a lot of behind the scene videos of good photographs. You can learn a lot from watching the videoss. They're awesome usually anyway:
    Fstoppers | Video Blog for Creative Professionals

This place has tutorials and a lot of stuff to help you out with lightroom and other editing:
    Photography Tutorials, Photography Tips, Photography Lessons, Photography Equipment Reviews, Photography Wordpress Themes