Calling for stoner Actuaries?

Discussion in 'General' started by MuphynBaking, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Hey guys, relatively new to the forum.

Just thought it would be amusing to see if anyone who is a regular browser of these forums is an actuary or currently studying to become one. Feel free to post even if you just know one!

Also feel free to post if your career or college study relates to math, finance, or economics!

2. man i honestly don't even know what an actuary is....

3. and i don't blame you lol. hardly anyone does. basically if you're an actuary then your primary skill is taking risk in the real world and mathematically evaluating it in dollars. sound familar? primary workplace is for insurance companies.

let's say you work for a car insurance company. you need to figure out how much someone's monthly insurance payments should be based on their basic information such as age, experience driving, location, car (not just value of car, but how that car will influence driving habits), and other random shit like that. you take all those things, evaluate how likely they are to get in an accident and how bad, over time... take ALL that and decide how much you charge them that still makes your company a profit, but offers better deals than your competitor.

to a lot of people this sounds dull as fuck lol, but im a very numbers kind of guy, and like economics, so this is dope for me haha

4. oh shit man :smoke: I wouldn't be able to do that for a living, but that'd be a crazy life experience, predicting life and shit :smoke:

5. So you're the guy who tells the insurance company how much they can dick me around just because my car has a turbo? Good to know :p

But nah, I'm a botany and biochemistry double major.

6. it will be man! gotta essentially win at gambling all the time haha.

fuck man, i dropped my intro bio class cause it was so dumb haha. my teacher couldnt teach, and my apologies but i hate bio with a passion. haha. numbers and logic are my thing bro lol