calling all volcano owners

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by john1g, Jan 20, 2013.

1. nice to meet you all, my name is John, this is my first post here. let me preface this by saying I have used the search function and have done extensive research online, but it's 2013 and I want new opinions from new people... and old opinions from more experienced users are welcomed as well! this is a short story and will end with some questions, so I greatly appreciate your time if you decide to travel on this journey with me :)

i had to quit smoking recently due to raynaud's disease; if i continue to smoke my fingers will freeze up and you know what happens next. it's been almost a year without weed and i feel i have hit my mental and creative peak. i am looking to get back into the game; i have worked with edibles, liquids (mr. wu's green dragon), and went through many other methods. although, some of these methods can be quite taxing on your overall mental health and energy levels (mr. wu's was rough to say the least)

anyways, i plan on buying a volcano (my mind is set, it is the only educationally researched vaporizer that shows significant reduction of toxins to my knowledge). the 600$ is a fairly hefty investment for me so I figured I'd ask the most active pro marijuana community I know of for their insight. my questions are the following...

classic vs. digital and why
    solid valve vs. easy valve and why

and how do you replace bags/does the solid valve ever get its bag replaced?

anything extra you may want to add is great as well.

thank you very much for your time.
    cheers :wave:

2. Solid Valve digit owner checking in. It's definitely a good investment. I got my rig with the case for 100 @ a pawn shop & got the solid valve for 100$ more. All I've ever had to do for maintenance is change bags due to a rip. You can make the bags as big as you want with the little kit they provide its fairly simple to use. Also look up how to use AVB for edibles!

3. Hey man! You're making the right choice, vaporizing is awesome and I love my volcano.

I'm going to suggest classic because it's easier to use and it'll last longer than the digit. The circuit boards of the digit are inherently less reliable than the analog dial of the classic, and you don't want to lose your investment because of a faulty circuit board. Also, it's easier to remember to cook your bag on dial setting "6" than "387 degrees Fahrenheit." But be warned, a hard drop can recalibrate the sensor inside the classic, rendering the heating unit ineffective and you'll have to get it repaired. The digital does not have this problem, but I still prefer the classic. (Just food for thought if you're clumsy) The classic is also cheaper, lol.

As for bags, go easy valve. While I've never tried the easy valve, people really love them, and I kind of hate my solid valve. With easy, after you fill up the herb chamber and attach the bag to it, you just clip it to the top of the volcano and start blowing up the bag, no hands needed. With solid, you have to awkwardly still hold the herb chamber on to the top of the volcano, and if you're blowing up a huge bag, it can get tedious. Also, alot of people think that once the bag is gross on an easy valve, you should throw it away. DON'T DO THAT! Keep it! There are plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to replace the bag on an easy valve mouthpiece. After you can successfully do this, the versatility of the solid valve is null and the easy valve becomes superior in every way, as you can attach huge bags to an easy valve mouthpiece.

And how do I replace bags? It's really easy, just watch YouTube videos. But if you're asking how often I replace them, then it's very, very infrequently. I use the solid valve with Reynolds Turkey Bags and they hardly ever get dirty, but even if they did, a replacement turkey bag is around $1.50. If you went easy valve, I see no problem in replacing your gross old bags with fresh Turkey bags if you take my advice and research how to do it.

And more of my advice is to look up abv and how to make edibles with it, because you don't want to throw out the weed you've vaped. Also, if you want a gigantic bag, Storz and Bickel sells a ten foot roll of bag material that you can use however you want.

In short, go classic easy valve and you'll be happy. I got my volcano off of Craigslist for $275 and I have no regrets because of how often I vape with friends, and this thing is king for that.

4. Great and comprehensive advice right there ^^ .

5. thanks for the responses white out and maxwell!

bumpp, more opinions please! :)

6. I have a Volcano Classic with the Easy Valve system and couldn't be happier with my setup. If you're looking to buy new, I'd recommend buying from vapeworld.com. No tax, and they thrown in a free $59 soft case, which I really like. It's built specifically for the Volcano and has lots of storage. However, I often pack mine up, and I have a lot of accessories. It might not be that useful if you plan on plugging it in and never moving it.

I chose the Classic because of the cheaper price, and because I'm not too concerned about knowing the exact temperature I'm vaping at. As another user mentioned, I also find it a lot easier to think "1st bag on 6.5, 2nd on 7.5, 3rd on 8" or something like that, rather than have a bunch of temperatures in my head. The dial on the classic is a bit frustrating, though, not gonna lie. You kind of have to look at it head on to see what number it's pointing at. Not a huge deal though.

I like the Easy Valve because it's so simple. It comes with 5 bags to start, and depending on how much you vape a bag can last 2-12 months. Considering the bags even out to around $10/bag, I'm not too concerned with the extra cost of the Easy Valve.

Whatever you end up with, I'm sure you'll love it. Go easy on that first session...it's a powerful tool! Haha.

7. undertheshade I appreciate the response.

in terms of buying it I planned on purchasing directly from the factory, makes me feel safer and comes with warranty.

as far as temperatures go I am not sure at what you mean by 1st bag 2nd bag 3rd bag. is this your way of saying to just keep your high going throughout the day? so you start lighter and then increase temperature to keep the high going.. correct me if I am wrong..

in my case, I am trying to avoid all toxins therefore my temperature settings must be fairly accurate. (still going classic) through my research I have discovered a few things about the medical end of vaporizing I will share with you.

here are the temperatures corresponding to the numbers..

1. 266.0 F
    2. 287.6 F
    3. 309.2 F
    4. 330.8 F
    5. 352.4 F
    6. 374.0 F
    7. 395.6 F
    8. 417.2 F
    9. 438.8 F

(-/+ 9 F) Temperature Fluxuation

temperatures that release THC and are considered safe are: 356 - 392 F

temperature used for research that shows little or no toxin emission while maximizing THC output: 374 F

As far as how the temperatures affect you, through experiences I have gathered the following..

Mind high: 350
    Mind/Body high: 375
    Full on Baked: 390

hope people get use out of this information, i promise you it is all correct and comes from .edu/.gov sources:hello:

cheers, john.

8. Fuuckk. That just blew my mind.

9. I am using my digital solid valve volcano now! I decided on the digital because i wanted to have the option of chopsing the exact temperature. While it is more flashy it does have the actual use of having complete control over the temperature over the classic volcano. Changing bags is very simple. It just includes unclipig a 1 piece plastic clip and a rubber band then wrapping the new bag around the solid valve and sealing everything back up with the rubber band and clip. The digital one is a bit more expensive so be ready to pay a little extra if shooting for the digital setup.. Also Storz and Bickel sell replacement volcano bags but you can use reynolds turkey oven bags as a good replacement which can be found at any grocery store. Which ever volcano you end up choosing you will love. It truely is a quality piece that you will have and use for many many years. Hope this helped.

10. There are a lot of studies of this nature (what elements are released at what temperature), and not all of them are in agreement, primarily because there are so many inconsistent variables that are in play (strain, preparation, etc.). If you're going to be very picky about the temperature, I would definitely recommend going with the Digit instead of the Classic. The Classic isn't good for exact temps, as the dial is not very responsive to minor changes, and the amount of temperature fluctuation is significantly greater with the Classic over the Digit. However my guess is that over time you'll be come less concerned with the exact temperature, I know I did.

Often times people increase the temp for each bag, that's what I meant by 1st 2nd and 3rd bag. This is because different elements are released at different temperatures, and starting at too high of a temperature can inhibit certain cannabinoids from having their full effect. So it's very common to start low and then go higher. You can stay on a low temp, but you just won't get near as much out of your herb.

As far as designating a temp for mind vs body vs extreme high, in my experiences this isn't very useful. Different strains will work at different settings, and the way the herb is prepared can have a big difference as well (fineness of grind and moisture being the two biggest factors).

11. bumppp for more opinions on solid vs easy! :confused: