Calling all Vegetarians

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by decrimbud, Feb 18, 2009.

1. #81 calicheese23, May 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2009
    I'm down for vegetarianism. But one thing that I have seen mentioned several times is that it is better for the environment.

Our world would never be able to feed all its people with vegetables and fruits. More agricultural farming will lead to more deforestation. The world would start battling over food because obviously some parts of the world are better for agriculture than others.

Droughts are common and a severe drought will leave to starvation. Also if you believe in global warming that will affect crops.

A lot of vegetables and fruits are imported and exported. They can not be grown everywhere.

Meat is sustainable and is available as a resource in all nations.

Vegetarianism is a new philosophy and is only popular in privileged countries. It defiantly is a bourgeois phenomenon.

The only way I can see vegetarianism actually working is if we had a smaller world population.

I have read many essays on environmental ethics and enjoy discussing the ethics of eating other animals and plants.

2. I've been veggie for about 2 weeks now, its going pretty well, (tho i went mad and ate pretty much an entire fish on one of the first few days) im a catering assistant so I haven't run out of things to cook for myself yet, I'm feeling pretty good about it so far.

3. I tried being a vegetarian for about a week. It was the hungriest week ever. I would eat until i was full, and literally 2 hrs later I would be starving!!

4. Exactly

5. haha, what did you eat?? my friend, who is also veggie, has no energy, basically just eats bread and cheese...not a good diet. you gotta eat a broader range of foods, not just cut meat out of things you would eat anyway. im eating pretty much the same amount as i did before, and i feel fine. you gotta eat nuts and pulses and things to up your protein.

6. I think you have this backwards. Factory farming is much, much more harmful to the environment then growing crops, and an acre of land growing food will feed more people then an acre of land growing livestock (and is less expensive).

A diet heavy in meat, like what is common here in the united states is not sustainable or healthy. Not to mention that livestock contributes to more Carbon Monoxide emissions then cars.

However... a vegetarian diet that is heavy in processed foods (like meat and cheese substitutes) and imported fruits and vegetables, is really no better for the environment then a meat based diet.

The best diet for the environment is one that includes lots of LOCAL, seasonal fruits and vegetables, whole grains and a small amount of locally raised meat.

As far as vegetarianism being a new philosophy in privileged countries, I suggest you do some reading on Hinduism and Buddhism. Nearly 40% of India is vegetarian (that's 400 million people), and they are certainly not privileged. In other asian countries, where they do eat meat, it's eaten more like a condiment in small amounts to add flavor. The only "bourgeois phenomenon" is the gross amount of meat consumed by americans and europeans.

7. I've been a vegetarian for about 3 and a half years and I've been much healthier since. I now rarely get sick. I'm a big fan of hummus as far as veggie munchies go, good hummus and pita bread is the shit.

8. Since I discovered we are destroying most of the nutrients in our food during the cooking process I'm thinking about going vegetarian. I won't miss cooked foods except meat...I love meat too fucking much. So anyone know how healthy sushi is? sushi is any fish eatin raw correct? I'm going to be so fucking healthy after I get this diet on track and flush out all the crap in my system.

Yesterday I went grocery shopping at mothers market and came home with a grip of organic fruits, veggies, some nuts and whole wheat. I feel very healthy but I can tell my body is missing protien. What kind of beans can you eat raw that are the best in replacement of meat?

9. Amen.

10. the vast amounts of land, water, and other resources that we put toward raising livestock could be put to much better use...

...yeah, what she said

11. i want to become vegitarian and i dont know any good recipies
    can anyone tell me any good veggie munchies
    i want to get some vegitarian munchie things to eat man can anyone tell me things to eat while high that are good for me

12. #92 ShatterWulf, Jun 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2009
    While I have not tried this recipe for hummus yet, it sounds delicious and comes from a fellow blade!

http://forum.grasscity.com/nirvana-restricted-area/378148-healthy-munchies-3.html#post4463793

This thread also has lots of good ideas, while not all of them are vegetarian.

If anyone tries this let me know.

13. Veg/vagatariannnn, only way to do it:p

14. Wouldnt be able to live a week w/o some bacon:hello::hello::hello::hello::eek:

15. im not vegetarian, but i am for fucking sure anti bacon

16. Morning Star hot dogs are the shitttttttt

What are some iron supplements that you would recommend? I think I might have iron deficiency :smoking:

17. Falafel (sp?) is by far my favorite food..it's so good and really popular among vegetarians/vegans......anyone who hasn't tried it find a good restaurant that makes it and eat that shit!

18. I've been a vegetarian for about six years now and I'm healthy as a horse. I take supplements to ensure that I'm getting my recommended amount of vitamins and nutrients. I strongly doubt that a vegetarian diet is more nutritiously beneficial than a well balanced meat-eating diet and vice-versa. However, I would go so far as to say that vegetarians (as a whole) are healthier than meat-eaters (as a whole) because they make more health conscious decisions. The general municipality (being meat-eaters) could care less about what they're throwing down their gullets. The meat industry uses this to their advantage using it as an opportunity to inject their product with harmful growth hormones to enable a more profitable output. The majority of meat-eaters also don't think twice about the care and nutrition of the livestock they so esoterically feast upon. The simple fact is that most of the animals used for livestock are kept in conditions that are comparable to third-world countries (at best). Thusly, animals suffer from serious diseases, such as cancer, and other illnesses that go untreated and often make it into meat products such as hotdogs and those deliciously juicy burgers that "carnivores" so much love to ingest. Simply put, a meat-eaters dietary decisions are comparable to a small child's in that they will simply put aside any nutritional understanding whatsoever for something agreeable with their palate. This kind of behavior is something more in common with sheep than any person of superiority. Vegetarians, on the other hand, are definitely more skeptical and attentive to what they put into their body. Therefore, it would hardly make sense that they (meat-eaters) deserve to be condescending towards vegetarians.

19. I honestly don't see why anyone would want to be a vegan. Seriously why not eat meat? Then you have to worry about taking PILLS to give you the extra nutrients that vegan foods don't include, and that meat do, like Iron for example. Meat taste good, has good nutrients, and gives you a hell of a lot more energy IMO not including fills you up fast! So why don't you guys eat meat?

20. There are a million and one reasons why people choose not to eat meat all listed in this thread. Do a little reading before you post and chances are you'll find your answer without ever having to ask the question. Also, vegetarians and vegans take vitamin supplements to ensure that they're getting what they need to remain healthy.

And, as for iron, beans are a great source for iron along with protein and other nutrients. Iron can also be derived from various other food sources as well. Also, in response to what you said about meat being filling, foods like whey and starches fill you up even faster. Whey, aside form being very filling, is also rich in nutrients and protein known as lactalbumin.