Calling all fitness guru's....this thread is for you.

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by FormerPothead, Dec 7, 2011.

1. I need help guys. had been going to the gym everyday and eating right since buying my script november 9th (planet fitness) but im on the tail end of taking a week off beacuse i busted up my knee and ankle pretty badly. they're feeling ok now i'm still gonna give it another day or two but anyway.....i need help. I'm '5 11' and super chubby,anywhere around 195-200. I just moved and i'm sick to death of not having the confidence and esteem i know i can get and should have. I'm not trying to become some gigantic meat head with biceps big as rock, I want that slim.cut.chizzly look. How do I even begin? keep in mind my gym is planet fitness so any advice you have on their excercise maachines would be helpful. Do you fitness buffs workout different body parts everyday? do you run? shouldnt i be looking to lose this horrendous fat because trying to lift? Any and all advice appreciated and if your truely a guru maybe we can talk in PM.

2. Confidence is key. I'm 5' 8" and weigh 185. I started working out about 2 months ago and I was at 200. Was I a little chunky? Yea. Did I let that stop me from anything? Fuck no. Diet is 70% of loosing weight. You need to have a solid diet if your serious about loosing the weight. Also, H.I.I.T (high intensity interval training) is best for loosing weight. Do some sprints and suicides after your workout. Cardio is your friend. As far as lifting, correct form is key. If your lifting 500 pounds but don't know the correct form, your muscles will grow slower with a greater chance for injury. Your not impressing anyone by lifting too much and looking retarded. Take your time, listen to some music, and hell even check out all the fine milfs at the gym. I found for me its easier to work out with the end goal of feeling better rather than I look horrible and need to loose weight. Its not an over night process, have fun and feel great untill your where you want to be.

3. it's less about vanity for me and more about becomeing beaster mcbeasterson,someone who lives dormant in all of us that we never seem to want to bring to light. FIll me in bro whats is your diet like? what machines do you use at the gym? how much cardio do you do? i can do a beast load of cardio im pretty sure thats how i busted out my knee. i like running strictly beacuase of the high it gives me.

4. Haha well good, as long as your bettering yourself for YOU! But as far as diet, you need to find what fits your life style. I can't afford to eat how I want nor do I have the time to prep/cook all the food lol. The best way to start eatting is ever 2-3 hours, have a snack or small meal. My father litterally lost 20 pounds in 3 months just by this alone. Every 2 hours he would eat something, it doesn't matter what he ate. Obviously don't go for a cheeseburger but he would get a snack wrap from mc d's or a protien bar on the road. Breaking up meals does a lot more than you think it might. Portion control is a factor.
    As far as my personal diet I do my best to eat breakfast but usually can't. But ill have protien shakes/ snacks throughout the day even if I'm not hungry. And for dinner I make chicken and some sort of healthy side.
    When I go to the gym I don't have a set plan I follow, I just know what I want to workout that day (back and tri's, chest and bi's, or legs/ cardio). You gotta remember, you got to 200 pounds by not working out so now that your at the gym any workout will be more than what your use too and give you results. I always try and work in cardio and abs between lifting. When I started I couldn't bike for more than 5 minutes without dying lol. Now I run 1 mile+ and bike for 20-45 mins depending on the day. I read somewhere that cardio is best done after lifting though so keep that in mind. Check out some body building forums and see some of the workouts other have used and which you think you can do. Having a plan at the gym makes things a lot easier

5. well i have the time and money to eat exactly how a picky person who works out can eat lol. give me some solid pointers and foods ,things to avoid at all costs,etc etc

6. Work with gravity as much as possible; stay off the machines. Seeing how you don't want to be a meathead (which I applaud you), stick to push-ups, pull-ups (do pull-ups on the smith machine with your feet on the ground), lunges, squats, farmer's walk, and other free-motion exercises. Again, stay away from one-dimensional exercises like machines. Don't worry about how many pounds you are lifting, just worry about working out your body.

Don't dwell in the shape that you are now, always imagine the shape you want to be.

As far as diet goes, you have to have the mentality; eat to live, not live to eat. You have to eat for function, and not for temporarily pleasing your taste buds. It might sound hard, but it's easy. There is more pleasure in knowing your body is healthy, then there is in momentarily pleasing receptors on your tongue.

If you're truly new to exercising and don't know too many free-weight exercises, let me know and I will share.

7. #7 SYRE, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2011
    I hate to sound like a salesman, but you might want to check out tim ferriss's 4 hour body. I have the opposite goals of you: gaining weight, but ive heard of a lot of success from people losing weight. Bodybuilding.com is a good site (regardless of whether you want to be a bodybuilder or not) to learn a lot about your body, health, nutrition, exercises, routines, etc.

But like everyone else seemed to say, nutrition is key. Working out and running are important factors of health too, but nutrition is by far the most significant part. Most importantly make a plan that you know you can stick to.

I get the feeling compound lifts (squat, deadlift, bench press, lat pulldowns) would be beneficial for you because of how many muscles they incorporate = more work on your body.

Overall, I'd say just do some research on healthy foods for fat loss, find a plan that works well for your goals, stick to it, and you should be good.

Oh, one thing I remember from the 4 Hour Body from the fat loss section was something along the lines of taking cold showers or swimming or something because the amount of energy your body uses to stay warm in water ends up translating to a lot of calories burned.

Edit: you may want to look into high intensity interval training as well.. I've heard it's good for burning fat