Calling all DWC gurus

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by growmymeds, Dec 2, 2018.

1. I have an idea I want to try and I'm wondering if anybody has done it before. The idea is to make a split reservoir under one plant. Give half the roots say 5.8 and half 6.2 or maybe half grow and half bloom for the transition. Any ideas?

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

2. That’s cool, how about switching which is high and low each time you change water so the plant doesn’t get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. The closest I can come to your experiment was when I grafted a sour apple sativa to a lavander indica! I put 1000k on the graft and 250w on the host! This wasn't a real lab or anything, but the hypothesis was that given more lumens than then host, I believed a graft could influence its host plant genetics if photosynthetic compensation was increased by 3/4. Results where mixed, although the host plant genetic disposition was phenotypically altered, and she visually appeared vascularly to have a much higher transpiration, in the end florally structure wise the top three of quality, consistently, quantity remained a negligible gain!

4. Something to try. Think I'd keep them the same throughout for the first time around. I suspect some sort of shock to the plant swapping the pH back and forth. Who know though, that might be the key to making it work.

5. I've heard of up to 8 plants grafted onto one. I was said that each branch maintained it's original expression and was used as a mother to keep many strains on one plant.

6. Imagine if you only worked out your bicep on one arm and tricep on the other arm. Too much imbalance is not good, at least that’s my hunch. Kind of like giving blue light to one half the plant and red to the other, the difference being that full light can be absorbed all at once. I suspect you might find that roots might favour one ph over the other which might result in more roots in one side and and an uneven uptake of nutrients overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. That might be the end result. My thought was that certain nutes are available at different pH levels. I've seen studies where in soil roots will seek out pockets of what they need. The idea is to make everything more available all the time.[​IMG]

8. They don't all overlap. Look at about 5.8, poor calcium, magnesium and manganese.

9. hmmm no,

for ph you could let it swing as certain nutrients are better taken up at different ph ranges. but for the veg and flower nutes just mix the two together to keep it simple.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. #10 Reo, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    I do like the concept.... but roots just don't train easily they just lack the node structure if you could cut the tap root down the center and the seedling lived then that would be your best bet to setup a plant for a dual res.

11. Yeah, I was thinking clone. No real tap root. I'm planning a divider that goes right up to the net pot, no training.

12. Ya clone would be easy enough. Get one with two root shoots 180 apart from each other then lollipop them till the roots are in their own res.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually balanced through osmosis.... would be interesting to find out.

14. That's something that didn't occur to me. I like the thinking... I'm going to have to set this up and see.