Calling all College Graduates!

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by DeglazeThatPan, Dec 15, 2008.

1. So, what did my fellow Blades major in? Regrets? Advice?

I'm thinking about getting into either Law or Accounting...Both are pretty tough though.

Whatcha think guys?

2. Accounting is equally as difficult as law academic wise, but it is easier to get a job as an accountant out of college than to get a good job as a lawyer out of law school (not to mention the additional fees of lawschool, and four more years!) plus, any lawyer who ever dreams to make parter works 9am-8pm...

3. I'm a justice, law, and administration major. JLA it is referred to at my school. currently a junior and love the program but am concerned about what to do when i get out. most jobs drug test and im not willing to stop puffin for some shit government job. just have to figure shit out i guess..

4. i aint graduated but my major is Psychology

5. I have the ultimate stoner major...Communications!

haha I dont know what I wanna do when i graduate, so I figured Id dick around with Comm classes...BUT, there are some fine girls in come of my classes...

6. I was a poli-sci major. I'm finishing my first semester of law school this week. Law school is actually only three years, but it is very expensive. I don't know much about accounting, but I have a friend who is an accountant. She only had to do four year of undergrad and now she's taking classes (not graduate) to get her CPA license, so it's my understanding that accounting is less in terms of years of school than law. But, I think that law provides more variety in what you can do. You can message me if you have any questions.

7. I'm a junior at university, right now. I completed all my GURs back in highschool (only smart thing I ever did with my education), so now I'm pretty far ahead of myself. Some people have the problem of not knowing what they want to do, I have the opposite: I want to do too many things. So, I decided I would take whatever classes that sounded interesting to me. Whatever I'm interested in at the time, I would try to learn more about. I'm not in a rush to go anywhere, I guess money could be a problem, but I'm not going to worry about that, yet. I figure if I take classes that interest me, versus taking classes to get to a desired profession, I will be happier with myself, & do better in school. No matter what, once you have a college education, you will be able to get a decent job. If accounting, or law interest you, then take those classes. It's more important to do what interests you, versus working towards a profession for money.

Oz.

8. I'm in law school right now.

I enjoy it, but you've got to make sure that it's something that truly interests you before dedicating so much time and money to attending.

The person who mentioned that people focusing on accounting have better job prospects isn't entirely accurate. Law degrees qualify you to do more than practice law. People with law degrees work in all sorts of different fields. They have unique skill sets that make them more likely to be able to handle management positions, etc.

Even if you're considering going to law school, I'd strongly suggest that you major in something unrelated to the law. Make sure that you're taking classes that will teach you to write well, but focus on something that interests you. Your undergraduate education won't be nearly as relevant if you actually become an attorney.

Good luck, man.