Calling Acoustic Guitar Players For Advice

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Finger My Urethra, May 20, 2013.

1. Hey guys, i have an amazing acoustic guitar player that is willing to compose a tune for me, however hes asking me if i need a "Strong pulse 4/4...3/4, etc" which is like fuckin alien talk to me haha, wondering if somebody can bring a little clarity to what hes trying to tell me, like i said he wants to know an idea of what kind of piece i am looking for and i really have no idea how to communicate that to him, any help would be awsome!!

2. if you dont know just go 4/4. most songs are 4/4 so when you count it you go 1 2 3 4 and emphasis is on the quater notes (1 2 3 4 are quater notes)

3. #3 notonthecarpet1, May 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2013
    if you're trying to call yourself a musician and don't know what 4/4 is, keep trying

all music is divided into measures which are divided into beats. how many beats in a measure is up to the composer, but most popular music has 4 beats per measure and has a time signature of 4/4. time signatures have two numbers, the top and bottom. The number of beats in a measure is the top number, like 4/4 has 4 beats or 3/4 has 3 beats. The bottom number refers to which note serves as a single beat. 4 means a quarter note gets the beat, 8 means an eighth note gets the beat. 
    to have a 'strong pulse' would involve a sort-of crisp attack in the way you play. 4/4 lends itself to having a very strong pulse by the way it is divided. a standard drum pattern with 1 2 3 4 would have a kick on beats 1 and 3 and a snare on beats 2 and 4. beats 2 and 4 are the 'backbeats'-thats the shit that makes you wanna nod your head along. if you have sharp, crisp attacks right on the backbeats, combined with a strong kick on the first beat of the measure, you can develop a strong-pulse type feel

Much appreciated sir!!!!

5. If you don't know what time signatures are, go with 4/4. You should really know what these mean, though. I knew time signatures before I knew how to run.

6. 4/4 is what you want