Call to action!

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Frasier, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Bumping.

"Hey baby, I hear the blues a-callin'
    Tossed salad and scrambled eggs.."

2. How do you all feel about 'fixing' your animal or declawing a cat?

I convinced my fiance against declawing them and after my reasoning, she is now opposed to it as well.

She did get our male 'fixed', I didn't like the idea but we rescued him from outside where there are a lot of wild/strays, so this cat has an ornery streak a mile wide. She read that it would calm him down and make him more friendly, maybe it worked a little idk.

I guess my though is that if we want to keep an animal captive we shouldn't alter it around what we want.

I still stand by not declawing though, sure they tear shit up but that is the sacrifice you have to make, just another good reason not to spend money on unnecessarily expensive shit lol.

3. Declawing is quite literally the same thing as removing a humans fingernails but worse. Its insanely inhumane and brutal. What they do is remove the bone that grows the nail and eventually the bone move inward and supports the weight of the cats paws which is extremely painful. Fixing is good in my book unless you live in the boonies. Cats can get out and if they fuck another cat then more kittens end up on the street being put down and homeless. I advocate for fixing humans too. They said it would make my kitty less active but that was nowhere near true. Also fixed cats wont go in to heat and if you get another cat of the opposite sex who is also fixed you will avoid A LOT of social issues and integration.

4. My little blind cat is female and not fixed, man she is SO needy and whiny and loving when she is in heat. She takes it out mostly on me, not my fixed male cat lol.

Sometimes I cut their claws down but I feel a bit bad doing that. Not because it hurts but because they get accustomed to their ability in climbing and whatnot WITH claws.

It is pretty funny when I trimmed the little cats claws, my bed is pretty high and she usually clawed her way up, now she figured out she can jump all the way. They grew back and now she claws her way up again lol

5. I cyt the nail tipa just so they aren't sharp. I pick up my kitties frequently and they dont realise that using my shoulder as a springboard to dismount is very painful.

• Like Like x 1
  6. They ever run and climb up your back to your shoulder?

Luckily the big cat does it so fast it doesn't really hurt but the little one it takes her a lot of clawing to make her way up, that hurts!

7. No. Girl gets really crazy when I pick her up, she doesn't like to be held at all (but she loves to be pet) and the orange has no say in life. If I want to pick him up and throw him over my shoulder or curl him up in my arms like a baby then I do. Though after a bit he gets annoyed and jumos out which can hurt since he uses hus nails.

To be honest I'm so used to being scratched, I have like 5 or 6 scars on my arm just from bathing the little rat.

8. Not a snowflakes chance in hell I can bath Odin (big white male) lol, I'd be hospitalized.

Aww that's sweet! I can pick both of mine up but Odin I put down before he gets irritated. One time he just decided to bite my head, I was like shit, it's funny since he is a house cat but if he was a big cat I would be dead lol.

Helen (the runt blind female) is uber loving, and IDK man she must go in heat ever 2 weeks or so, she walks around CONSTANTLY kooing and whining, and tries to crawl up to my shoulder even more often. Odd thing is, when you give her love she just squirms and wiggles, she won't just lay down and enjoy it, constantly crawling around and rubbing he face on my face. It is sweet but overwhelming. She is teaching me patience that I don't have.

How do you discipline or train a cat btw?

• Like Like x 1
  9. My girl cat does the same thing. She demands to be pet but she walks around and does a little happy dance and rolls over and then walks back. Can't bathe her either, she would go nuts.

I disciplined and trained my cats by letting them know I'm an Alpha male. I slap their heads if they try to paw or sniff my food, I hiss if they try to climb my desk or go in my room without my say so. I don't let them sit in my seat either and I frequently grab them by the scruff (and a hand under the belly so I don't hurt them) and put them where I want them to be.

After doing that for a while they get the idea that I run the show, my orange cat is a natural Alpha so he was very hard to train and still does a few naughty things but at this point he knows pretty well and he's very submissive to me.

The girl was a gamma female so she got trained pretty fast, if I hiss she backs off immediately, if I call her she runs right over and neither of them even dream of climbing my PC desk.

10. Cats aren't like dogs at all. Dogs lack their natural survivalist instincts but cats retained it. This makes them hard to train so anything you try, just accept the fact that they will still do something you won't like no matter how much you punish them.

Oh also restricting food access makes them more reliant on you (which is good). It also stops them from getting fat. My food calls for 1 cup a day so I do half a cup when I get up and half a cup before I go to sleep.

11. Good stuff! Helen relentlessly climbs on the very few places I don't want her (fucking up my speakers), so I tried firmly saying her name and NO, that didn't stop her, so I started swatting her back area, now she is more hesitant and will just go sit right by it until her naughty little mind decides to try again. So I figured I would try a new strategy and whenever she does it I pin her down to show her I am boss, but cats are solitary so it isn't as effective as it would be with a pack animal.

Luckily the alpha male is pretty chill, he can get ornery but he doesn't get into trouble much. Problem is, in both cases, my fiance is not as persistent as me so my being gone 4-5days a week doesn't help much.

12. When she acts out grab her by the scruff and cat hiss very loudly in her face and then give her a swat. Do that a few times and she'll never do it again and in the future when they act out just hissing from across the room will be enough.

Thank you Pavlov.

13. I'll give it a whirl ty!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bump