Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

California to vote on cannabis legalization in November

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by CaValleySmoker, Sep 14, 2008.

1. My fellow Californians, polling day is less than 7 weeks away now. In less than 2 months, we could be legally enjoying our plant, and never have to worry about legal troubles when it comes to the herb anymore. We'll be able to grow plants in the backyard with no fear of LEO. Remember to get out and vote guys. The measure is expected to pass, but you can never be too careful when we have a chance like this.

I checked up on the updated page on the Secretary of State's site today, and of course they got more than enough signatures to qualify. The real surprise was, that they changed the wording of the initiative to say "legalize cannabis," instead of "decriminalize cannabis". I'm not too sure what all goes along with that change, but "legalized" sounds much better than "decriminalized".

You can check out all the details here:
    http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/elections_j.htm#1341

I'm not in favor of how they plan to go about it, they plan to tax people $60 per plant grown, and $5 per 3.5 grams produced. Sucks, but it's a huge step in the right direction. Also addressed is the elimination of drug testing for employment, unless you're high on the job, you have nothing to worry about.

What do you guys/gals think? If it passes, I expect a lot of you will be heading out here to live;) Have a good night, guys.

2. something like this is so huge. This should be written in huge font on the front page of GC.

3. I was told it was taken off the ballot and they are gonna try it again in 'O9.

4. Incorrect, budlover, that has something to do with Ron Paul IIRC. Californians will indeed be voting to legalize marijuana this November, mere weeks away. The website was updated today, the required amount of signatures were collected and the issue is now in the hands of CA voters.

It's expected to pass by a decent margin. Prop 215 was expected to pass 12 years ago and also won by a good margin. I really think it might happen. It'll be a good day when weed is legalized.

5. WTF? is that true ? i hope its not cause i already bought my plane ticket to cali

6. 'bout time we made it legal here, I am sick of having to go two places to get my weed and my smokes :mad:, plus hopefully a price drop will happen as a result of increased production, please get out there and vote, we can set a precedent for the rest of the nation to finally legalize this plant everywhere so that it may be freely enjoyed and utilized by the masses. :hello:

7. You've gotta keep in mind that federal laws are supreme, until they're finally repealed because they're unconstitutional. the only federal laws that are supreme are those written to reflect the Constitution. since there's nothing in it that mentions drugs, any and all federal laws made against drugs are unconstitutional. good luck getting anywhere in court with that though :rolleyes: the fact is, even if it is decriminalized, the DEA and other cops will continue to criminalize it. it is a good step in the right direction, hopefully it'll happen and work and all the naysayers STFU and we get that much closer to federal reform.

8. #8 chronicpenguin, Sep 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2008
    How do you check to see if it got enough signatures?
    it really should. We have achance to make our dreams come true (as californians).

lets not let this moment slip by

9. also, you guys did notice that it had to have a crapload of signatures, and since pretty much NOBODY knows who Christopher Springer is, and nobody knows how to sign, and the deadline of Sept. 5th has passed, I don't think it actually made it

10. Right on man, I've been telling tons of people to vote yes on this initiative since early this year, even non smokers. Tell them that it keeps peaceful pot smokers out of our already incredibly overcrowded jails, taxes and regulates the substance to become a huge contributor to the local economy, and takes massive funding out of organized crime and gangs by putting it into government controlled hands. Oh yeah, there will definitely be a price drop too.

Of course federal laws trump, but you have to be running a pretty big operation to attract federal attention. I've been wondering about this a bit actually. I doubt the federal government will stand by idly and let cannabis corporations flourish, they're taking down little mom and pop med clubs as it is. If the federal government starts coming in and makes it a habit of taking down suppliers, eventually the business will trickle back to the black market again, which will defeat much of the purpose of this initiative. Most drug dealers dont draw federal attention though, and the CA LEO could care less, so normal people like me and you have nothing to worry about when it comes to the buy and sell of our green. Growing will be pretty safe as long as you don't go overboard with the plant count. Fed isnt wasting time on little 20-30 plant busts, especially with all the activity that's going to be created if the plant is legalized. You know a lot of people are gonna be more prone to full house and large scale grows when state law no longer prohibits it, draws a lot of the heat off of small guys like us.

11. The feds won't like this.

Imagine everyone just driving into Cali to pick up the craziest dank legally:smoke:

12. Seriously!?

Well then i cant wait to pick up some primo dank from a legit store instead of a sketchy ass dealer.

13. I may be wrong about this but the marijuana bill is still under the circulating category. Doesn't that mean that it is not on the ballot yet?

14. This will be great. Not having to go overseas to enjoy the herb legally:smoke:

15. #15 bostondutchmast, Sep 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2008

im pretty sure the dea or feds can no longer raid or arrest you because its unconstitutional. theres a thread on it already on gc ill try and find a link to it

heres the forum link http://forum.grasscity.com/medical-marijuana/269033-war-over-we-won-2.html
    and theres a link to the source on page 2 i think.

and for those of you too lay to clikc heres the summary
    The battle for medical marijuana usage in California took a turn for the people recently when a US District Judge ruled that the 10th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution bars the federal government from targeting the enforcement of federal laws to intentionally subvert state medical marijuana laws.
    California's landmark 1996 medical marijuana law has been upheld by U.S. District Court Judge Jeremy Fogel, thus denying a Bush administration request to dismiss a lawsuit by Santa Cruz city and county officials and the Wo/Mens Alliance for Medical Marijuana (WAMM) ,against them.

The ruling is the first of it's kind. It's also the first time a court recognized that a concerted effort by the federal government to sabotage state medical marijuana laws violates the U.S. Constitution.

This ruling is important because it recognizes the constitutional significance of the fact that the federal government has gone out of it's way to arrest and prosecute some of the most legitimate doctors, patients, caregivers, and dispensary owners that have been working with state and local officials.

16. #16 Rhythm of Life, Sep 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2008
    Supremacy Clause.

Its in the Nations constitution. Also in our state constitution it addresses this.

Or Regulatory Clause. Basically because of the clauses our founding fathers put into the constitution the national gov't can basically regulate anything it wants.

17. I seriously doubt that marijuana will be legalized any time soon. Don't get me wrong though, I'm all for legalization, but that day is still far away. It might go through, and that's good...But, I can't see anything good coming from it right now...Before we unleash masses of a drug into American society we need to think about the consequences. It's much too early to be legalizing pot now, the vast majority of the public are too poorly uninformed about it. I think our goal as a marijuana friendly community is to educate people of the effects, benefits and detriments of marijuana use. Only then should we think of legalizing marijuana.

18. Yeah it is not on the ballot, it is under "initiatives and referenda in circulation"

19. Okay so when I go to vote, will I be able to vote on it? And will it just say where I vote what it is or does it have a.. Prop number thing? Excuse my ignorance, new voter for anything but presidental heh.