California Split Almost Evenly On Prop 19 To Legalize Pot

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by AMachine, Jul 4, 2010.

1. 48 percent of voters would support legalizing marijuana, with 50 percent opposed

As you can see the 50 percent consist of complete neanderthals

2. ya idk if its gonna pass, i really doubt it, especially with meg whitman winning the primaries. If she wins the election the idea for legalized bud is done for in cali

3. With the margin of error, that means that anywhere from 44 to 52 percent of people favor it. Each poll will be a little different. All we know is that it's about even. Lets get to work. Here is the website for the campaign Tax Cannabis 2010 . You can either donate or sign up to volunteer your time. Even if you don't live in Cali, you can sign up to call people on election day to get them out to vote. If the under 25 voters come out in large numbers, it WILL win. If you live in Cali and know people who might vote for it but don't really care, motivate them to go.

4. Hopefully we win the only one that matters.

5. I made my contributtion. Thanks for the info. I don't even live in Cali, but I need mmj. I know if it passes in Cali that there's a better chance my rednack state might at least decriminalize it.

6. im surprised its 50/50. in an educated world, everyone would want to legalize it. What will it take for the majority to educate themselves?

7. #8 Klao, Jul 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2010
    I remain convinced that the key is to appeal to the general public's love of alcohol. We hit the tax revenue side of the issue way too hard, and to be frank .... it's a bit too cerebral and "politicky" for the average joe.

For someone that's never smoked before, however, and doesn't know a lot about marijuana, believe it or not, a LOT of people still simply assume that there's a good reason that marijuana is illegal.

We've got to make the point that weed is basically no worse, if not far BETTER for you, than alcohol is. Point out their own hypocrisy. Use facts. Give people something to associate cannabis with in their own lives. Talk more about the prohibition of alcohol in American history, and draw the parallels for them. Let your mind do the hard rationalization for them, because again .... most people just don't give a fuck, and don't think about things in much depth. Few people get passionate about ANYTHING at all. They accept reality at face value -- the status quo is safe, and the unknown is scary. We have a LOT of convincing to do. Most of us are reactionary, consumer sheep, unfortunately. :(

If someone tells you they oppose marijuana legalization, the very next question you should ask them is whether or not they're a regular drinker, or even an occasional one. In 8 out of 10 cases, the answer will be yes. That's when you start dismantling the propagandized bullshit surrounding cannabinoids.

Turn weed into beer. Make it clear to people that we've already crossed the line as a society in which we've decided that an adult should have the right to enter an intoxicated mental state if they so choose, and then make it clear that marijuana is actually a far more benevolent form of that than hard liquor is, on all fronts -- in terms of addictive potential, in terms of overall long-term toxicity to the human body, and even in terms of mind-alteration, cannabis really IS safer for people than alcohol has ever been. Drive the point home.

BOOZE = WEED. In fact, in terms of harmfulness, BOOZE > WEED. This is the personal connection that people with no experience with marijuana are missing right now. This is why it's evenly split, and not a massive majority. People don't see that alcohol and cannabis are actually two sides of the same coin. They either really do believe the bullshit that drug warriors spout about cannabis being on the same level as heroin or crack, or they've simply never thought much about it before, period.

Dismantle the marijuana boogeyman, make the ACTUAL dangers of both alcohol and cannabis apparent, and then compare them side by side for these people. Draw the connection for them, and once they realize they'd never in a million years support the prohibition of something as bad for people as alcohol, the opinions will follow.

8. As everyone has said, the uneducated people are the ones who will vote no. They think of weed in the same way they think of heroin. They think we're all druggies just trying to legalize the crutch we use just to get through life. The same druggies that steal to get money to support their habit.

Of course, this is complete bullshit but it's not easy to change a perception that someone has had for decades. Honestly, if we just made a huge amount of brownies and gave them to everyone, we'd win no problem :hello: So many people just don't get it.

9. What about people who benefit from prohibition? Couldn't someone be 'educated' and against legalization if they benefited from legalization?

If that were the case though, we could just label those guys 'douchebags', 'assholes' as they're obviously on the wrong side of this civil rights issue. :D

10. It's not going to pass. If Cali was too pissed off to pass gay marriage then there is no hope for the legalization. Not a perfect world... Yet.

11. freedom will be legalized one day. and if our sorry country cant realize this then im out.

12. I like the optimisim.

13. lol 48 percent for and 50 percent against? That adds up to 98%...?

14. In statistics they explained how a sample survey is conducted and analyzed so I know it's possible but I can't remember how or why specifically.

I'm done with math.

15. If Cali or any other state has a chance in this, NORML and other organizations BETTER step up to the plate and fight fire with fire.

What I mean by that is look at how politics are "fought" before the elections. Almost all of them utilize signs, banners, advertising in newspapers, commercials on TV, and ultimately public debates.

Is anyone advocating the positive impact legalization would have on TV with commercial spots in Cali? Has anyone done the same type of advertising in newspapers? Gotta remember that most people who actually get out there and vote are still VERY old fashioned(and old), so you aren't going to reach this target audience with Facebook and Twitter posts. It's got to be mainstream advertising.

If not, then we gotta step it up, because the fight against this is going to get VERY ugly as we get closer to the date to vote on this. All it takes is one week of D.A.R.E. commercials, riddled with bullshit "facts" about addiction and "gateways" to swing this 10% the wrong direction. Of course, all this advertising takes funding, so support NORML and other organizations by putting "five on it" where it's gonna count for all of us!

16. I like your method of justifying marijuana there
    I reccomend referring to marijuana as marijuana rather than 'weed'

17. im pretty sure 2 % are undecided bro.

i was reading something and it was saying there was an incredibly low amount of people undecided. so this would make sense. it was like 25 percent undecided recently i think.

i dont think it will be legalized sadly. too many fools trying their damnest to stop it.

18. Or Cannabis... I like asking people where they think the name Canvas comes from. Canvas, Cannabis, Canvas, Cannabis... Get it?

Without Cannabis Columbus couldn't have used sails to make it to America for us to shun this plant. Without Cannabis, the now denim blue jeans wouldn't have every been created (Levi's were made from a chopped up CANVAS tent). Tell people the first bible was printed on paper made from canvas. That Jesus included it as an ingredient in his anointment oil.

Cannabis was legal and widely popular for 5,000 years up to the last 100 or so. Then suddenly the whole effing world went mad and decided it was evil.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but they are a bunch of fucking idiots. Cows following their way to slaughter.

I'm a Libertarian and I'm very glad to have the opinions I do based on facts rather than Fox News.

Still though, it's not going to pass until someone educates not just America, but the entire world to the madness that was the 20th century.

19. I'd recommend not calling Cannabis, Marijuana, if you are in this 'fight'.

Cannabis is the name.

Marijuana is the racist government propaganda name, which is anti cannabis.