California pot backers submit petitions for November ballot

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Green Wizard, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Here we go!

Calif pot backers submit petitions for Nov. ballot

By MARCUS WOHLSEN, Associated Press Writer
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 at 1:49 p.m.

SAN FRANCISCO - Backers of a California initiative to legalize marijuana said they would submit far more signatures Thursday than needed to qualify the measure for the November ballot.

Volunteers intended to submit about 700,000 signatures collected across all 58 California counties, campaign spokesman Dan Newman said.

The initiative needs about 434,000 signatures from registered voters to make the ballot. Campaigners typically try to collect far more to build a cushion in case some signatures are invalidated.

The Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Act of 2010 would legalize possession of small amounts of marijuana for adults. It also would allow limited growing on private property and permit local governments to decide whether to legalize and tax pot sales.

"Our current laws aren't working. We should have learned from alcohol prohibition," said Oakland medical marijuana entrepreneur Richard Lee, the measure's main backer.
    Lee has marshaled manpower and financial support for the initiative through Oaksterdam University, an Oakland-based school he founded to train growers and distributors of medical marijuana. Under current state law, Californians can legally grow and possess pot for medical purposes.

The drive to put a broader legalization measure on the ballot got a boost in April when a Field Poll found that 56 percent of California voters supported legalizing and taxing marijuana to help bridge the state budget deficit. The campaign's internal polling showed similar support, Newman said.

"This initiative was very carefully crafted to win at the ballot box. It contains specific safeguards and controls," he said.

Standing in the way will be a coalition of religious and law enforcement groups that argue marijuana is harmful and an immoral approach to fixing the state's financial problems.
    "We're going to talk about blood money, about trying to raise taxes on the backs of our youth," said Bishop Ron Allen, a pastor and head of the International Faith Based Coalition, an anti-drug religious group.

Potential revenue from legal pot sales would encourage young people to use the drug, Allen said.

The ballot measure would require jail time for anyone who sells or gives marijuana to children. It also forbids smoking pot in front of minors.

The Associated Press

2. Hell yeah, here we go.

3. it is war and i will say this now guys

this is going to get fucking ugly

4. This is gonna sound really stupid, but this will apply for the whole of the US, am I right?

If the bill gets passed, I mean.

I really hope so, if America legalises it, it'll become legal in most other countries soon after (I believe so anyway!)

Come on Ireland:D

5. Hope Cali can pull through this time!

6. it is for the state of california only.

history shows that it is a HUGE deal though in prohibition legislation

7. Ah okay. Still, it's a big step!

Good luck Cali :wave::)

8. #8 Phamas, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2010
    It's only the state of California, but California was also the first Medicinal state, 13 other states have since followed suit with many other states weighing medical bills or even discussing legalization bills.

Basically.. the states pass stuff before federal do. No state has yet to legalize, California would be the first and probably would cause a domino effect, considering that the dominos are already falling it is just a matter of getting to November 2010.

All of the Governments dirt is coming out, the people are sick and tired of their bullshit. Just last week it was admitted that the NIDA has been discouraging studies on medical Cannabis. What a joke right?

9. If I move to california this year and it is my primary residence, am I able to vote in the election in november? If so, I would do that to get one state legal.

10. That sounds interesting. Can you elaborate?

11. He is saying all the anti pot people will throw more money at their smear campaign then they already have. But who is to say our side isn't throwing a fuckload of money at it either? Won't matter.

12. All I can say is, during November, 2010, Bricks WILL Be Shat.

13. what are the actually chances of this shit passing? Im getting really excited for it, but i really dont want my dreams to be shattered

14. yeah i mean the slander from the anti-pot people will be met in battle with the painful
    truths (for them) of our movement. It will be a public crucifixion of everything that they
    have lied about and spent our taxpayer money on. I cannot fucking wait.

STAND STRONG BLADES

15. we'll bring it..

there is plenty of secret support from unlikely places...

be sure of that.. we will bring it and win.

16. That sounds good though. If it's true. Maybe they think they're so right that they don't have to try to hard? I hope they're that dumb.
    She can't stop this by 'not having the time to do it' or some shit can she? That's what worries me.

Also, I think that since we're voting on this in November, they won't have a lot of time to smear it anymore than they have.

I got my fingers crossed. Change the world California.

17. I don't see how she could stop it, wouldn't that just defeat the purpose of voter initiatives? They would just throw out the shit they didn't want to take a chance on the people voting to change.

18. I hope with everything this shit goes through man its fucking time. Im from the Bay Area and I am going to do my part for cali come November. I cant wait for the day where i buy some weed from 7-11!!!!

19. Would being 18 be considered a minor? Because in order to buy marijuana in California you have to be 21 I believe.

20. anyone know the name of the bill.
    "H.R. ####" for example

I'm voting pro-pot, no duh...:hello: