California Mayor Allegedly Took Medical Marijuana Bribes

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by xdog, Jun 23, 2012.

1. California Mayor Allegedly Took Medical Marijuana Bribes
    By Edvard Pettersson - Jun 22, 2012

The mayor of Cudahy, California, and two other city officials were charged with accepting $17,000 in bribes for supporting the opening of a medical marijuana store in the city of 23,800 people southeast of Los Angeles.

After weeks of soliciting and discussing bribes, the three officials met in February with a Federal Bureau of Investigationinformant at the El Potrero nightclub in Cudahy, where they accepted a $15,000 cash payment, according to a statement today from the U.S. attorney's office in Los Angeles. One of the three accepted a separate $2,000 payment, according to the statement.

The three charged are Mayor David Silva, 61, City Council member Osvaldo Conde, 50, and Angel Perales, 43, who runs the city's code enforcement division and allegedly brokered the bribe payments. Each of them faces as long as 10 years in prison if convicted.
    The three are scheduled to make an initial appearance today in federal court in Los Angeles. Their lawyers couldn't be identified.

Hector Rodriguez, Cudahy's city manager, didn't immediately return a call for comment on the allegations.

To contact the reporter on this story: Edvard Pettersson in Los Angeles at epettersson@bloomberg.net.

2. That's politics for ya

3. We might just have to legalize to keep our elected officials on the straight and narrow. Well, at least as far as weed goes. I hope the bastards get 10 yrs.

4. Just another example of "money rules all".

5. Way to set the movement back 5 years.

6. Wait.....So an FBI agent set up a sting op on a mayor? That's ridiculous or I'm ridiculously high because that's ridiculous.....ridiculous

7. yes...FBI does it again...they CREATE the criminal act and then bust those they USED in the set up...

30 years ago, this was called ENTRAPMENT and would result in the case being tossed out of court, those that were in charge of the set up and those engaged in it, would be charged, careers ruined...

Now, entrapment is a daily thing for the feds...endorsed by 537 neocons in DC, the same ones that use the CONSTITUTION for toilet paper.:wave:

8. That's not exactly the whole story of what has been going on and it's similar to what happened near me. These mayors have been shaking down several local businesses, not just MMJ dispensaries. Someone probably got fed up with it and narked them in. It's not like the feds just approached the mayor and said hey, we want to open up a dispensary and we'll pay you off, not at all like that. It's not ridiculous at all, this needs to be done.

9. FBI

Reminds me of the city council of Agrestic CA in the series WEEDS

Some of these local governments here in CA really need to be put back in place. Its an epidemic.