California Lightworks 200w Solarflare LED

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by rhapsodyrcks, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Dude thinking aboutthis light for my new 3x3 6.5 tentcan I run just this with four autos and a bigcirculating fan or in your opinionshould I throw couple. Cfls in there as well how's itworkin

2. I use a couple of CFL with my light to add side lighting. And the red/purple light eventually hurts my eyes and gave me headaches when working in my cab, but with the 2-3 CFLs I added it stopped making my eyes try to compensate the red so no more headaches! haha

You shouldn't have any trouble lighting 3x3 with added CFL. I think the core coverage is 2x2 but it will light up 3x3 easily with some CFLs

3. Ya I'm going to get the full cycle so wat kinda yield you pull with it avg or heavy heard it bust up potience and trichomeslet me know

4. It's hard to tell because I've made some mistakes in my grow. My Blue Dream in a 1 gal pot gave me 14g, not a lot but it is some good stuff and the budz are real compact. And I'm doing a perpetual so I am not harvesting my whole cab all at once.

If all done right I'm pretty sure you could pull .75g/W easily with this light. I'm estimating my current 3gal pot to be all 1oz minimum when I'll harvest

And yeah, not sure if it was the strains or the light but my plants under LED are A LOT more frosty than my plants that were under CFL

5. I pull about 1or2 wit a 90watt ufo and cfls on each plant that'sfour; plants so that's reallygood to know I scrog mine

6. Ya it really depends on strain I'vebeen growing growing for two yr. And have never gottin over 2oz a plant that's at sixty day veg and 14 wk harvest I'm thinking of running itwith my hps4oowt see watit will do togather

7. One company I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is Area 51. Their LEDs are 3 watt but as far as wattage and footprint go, there seems to be some combos you can make that are really nice for a price that is unbeatable as far as I've found so far.
    They have some great reviews on another forum I'm on. Also a lifetime warranty.

CLW does appear to be a great company with some really nice lights but I don't like that their warranty is so short. Their lights sure are clean looking though as far as casing, and do seem to perform well.
    Black Dog LEDs also have a lifetime warranty - with the 5 watt LEDs but their prices are really high. Like, REALLY high lol. But they do appear to have lights comparable to CLWs but with the better warranty.

Just thought I'd throw out what I've come up with in my research. Have yet to pull the trigger and purchase yet, but I am leaning towards Area 51's LEDs right now.

8. Syphex, Rhinogrow LEDs have a very low profile without the large bonnet and cooling system. Seem to be decent lights. I have heard some people say that not having the cooling unit may affect the longevity of the LEDs themselves. I have no idea though.

9. Only did one grow so far with this light but I like it alot. Not only for cannabis but my herbs took off in it.

10. I'm at my 3rd - 4th plant in my perpetual grow and I love it! It takes some getting used to but works great.

11. I agree. Its all a personal decision..your money and what your happy with. Some like Android some like iPhones. Both do essentially the same.

12. ya I've been researching and every were I've been reading that it takes 5w diodes or higher to get the best result for canibus plant growth but I've seen good results out of them to does any one have any place were they sell 400 watt 3w lights that are real wattage and that will customize for marijuana growing that you have used your self with great results that are under 350 I'm hoping to purchase soon and need to make sure I get the right choice really looking to purchase the 200watt solar flare but if any one knows were I can get something just as good forcheaper than thanks

13. Diode wattage is not everything. The ProSource LEDs still use only 1W diodes and they get great reviews even when ppl compare them to 3W and 5W lights. Component quality is more important IMO

14. Again it all depends on the component quality. You can run 5W at the same efficiency as 3W or even run em 100% like 1W diodes, but you will need a lot more cooling.

My 5W diodes are actually more efficient than most 3W diodes on the market, they run at about 4W each, that's 80% eff. compared to advanced led light (DS100) which runs them at 66% eff. 2W per diode (100W pull from 50 LEDs). Plus, my solarflare has 2 fans less to run.

But again that does not necessarily mean that my LEDs are better, for example, I don't have any lenses on my diodes which apparently helps a lot with penetration. And all the diode angles are 120* So I'm actually loosing a lot of light on the side (thank god for Mylar! ;) ) compared to if I had lenses or a mix of 120*, 90* and 60* LEDs.

There is so many factors to compare when you get in the LED light market that it is really hard to actually compare 2 different Lamps from different makers.

15. ohhh my mistake, thought you were talking about the wattage they run at.
    Yes, larger diodes tend to be less efficient.

Also I think the cooler they run the more lumens they emit. Would it be possible to supercool LEDs to push out even more light? lol

16. LEDs degrade very very slowly. Depending on use of course but a screw LED light bulb replacement literally if bought today when your kid is born will most likely still emit 80-90% of its original light by the time your kid graduates highschool.

Cali Lightworks SolarStorm series is modular but replaceable by the maker not you. If you sent one in and one of the quadrants was defective then that quad would be replaced.

A Nitrogen system for cooling would be ineffective since you would have leakage and any system that uses that has to be refilled. I work on FLIR cameras and its pressurized with nitrogen system has to be periodically replaced. A pielter cooler system would be more effective but you would have to deal with moisture build up around the components.

None of that is needed with LEDs. If you have a adequate cooling system, not trying to shoe horn a grow light in a small enclosed space then you should be fine. The main issue of heat arises from everyone having a different growing area. So the fool who tries to put a light in a dresser with the closed will have issues while say for myself its either in a tent in the middle of a room or no tent but just some reflective sides has no issue.

17. Nice to hear an opinion from someone with knowledge and experience with supercoolants :p

I figured my idea was a bit far fetched. And thought LEDs could maybe work in the same way you can overclock a CPU and supercool it to have crazy power, but again very inefficient and mostly for show :p
    I remember seeing a video back in the day of a guy overclocking his 1Ghz CPU to 5Ghz and cooled it with liquid Nitrogen. Was very cool but useless for practicle use. It was back in the days when Pentium III and IV were the shit, so 5ghz was pretty damn crazy!! haha

18. so let me guess this straight... you work with FLIRs yet you grow? You clever bastard! ;)
    makes me think of the mafia mole in a police force! hehe

sorry I'm high! :p

19. LOL. FLIRs are 400,000 dollar cameras, that cost a minimum of about 5k to get evaluated if one should break then maintance of them is about 10% the cost of the unit...so lets see we live in a nation with a 18 trillion dollar deficit, I think I read 40 out of 50 states are billions in the hole so I do not think many law enforcement units use them.

They do sell a variety of units that do a variety of things though at different price points. The aspect I work on them is not the actual company but its used on some equipment that protects our fine men and women that wear a uniform over seas.

Also if your concerned about IR...IR cant actually be seen through glass. If I used a IR camera and looked at a car with you in it nothing shows up, but metal yes. So your tires and engine light up like no tomorrow but the glass is actually solid looking.

If your worried about that they sell at places like www.htgsupply.com IR absorbing material. For the most part those just disperse the heat rather then allow it to be pin points.

For a cop to dedicate a chopper with a FLIR on your tiny grow is not reasonable either. Pros and Cons. Choppers require fuel, pay, people, etc. So one flight that costs 5k to run that nets 5 plants really is not what they want. They want a giant bust so it makes the news.

20. I would say no.